PDA

View Full Version : trying to take fenders/bumper/headlights out

element240
03-29-2004, 08:10 AM
as the topic says, i'm trying to take the fenders and front bumper off, but i assume i have to take the headlights off first..
i've gotten all the lower front bumper screws off and all the top and inner fender bolts off as well as the 2 screws on the bottom pinch weld....
still can't get them off, i took off the 2 headlight bolts on the upper side of each headlight and took off the small screw holding down the turn signals to the headlights..... what other bolts hold the headlights and front bumper on?
this is such a PITA!
btw, the reason i'm taking them off is because i'm sanding down the whole car. thanks for the helpful comments. and yes i searched and all i found was the same thing that the chiltons manual says: remove front bumper, remove fender bolts etc etc and it doesn't help squat.

oojpeeoo
03-29-2004, 08:36 AM
first off u got an s14 or s13... anywho it should work about the same.. u would have to take off ur lights off first ..if i stil remember correctly... and those are pretty straight foward.. for the bumper.. u have to go under the car and there should be about 3 bolts on each side (near fender) take those out .. on top... there should be about 4-6 bolt on the bumper support... that should be it.. if theres any other bolts then go under the car and feel it out... u shoulld be able 2 find it... for the fenders the hardest part it reachin down @ the bottom and unscrewin the bottom portion and everything else it pretty straight foward...good luck

element240
03-29-2004, 08:45 AM
sorry yea i have an s14
i can't find the other bolts for the headlights, i took off the 2 bolts on the side and they're still pretty snug, i keep looking under but can't find them either...

right now im trying to take off the tail lights, it looks like they used a sealer, i guess i have to use a heat gun and get it soft and then i can take the tail lights out... motha focka!

i have all the bolts off the fenders(top , bottom and inner!) the front of the fender however is still snug to the bumper.... damit i cant find the other screws for the headlights/bumper....

also i'm trying to take the antennae off, it's a biotch since the chiltons manual don't have pictures to explain how to take off the top ring around the antenna rod.. anyone able to help? i left my dremel tool at my college apartment so i can't hack the focker off... :axe:

element240
03-29-2004, 12:25 PM
bump! need some help here

oojpeeoo
03-29-2004, 02:14 PM
is it a kouki or zenki? well if u plannin on shaving the antenna might was well the the shop or whoever gona shave it do it

element240
03-29-2004, 03:17 PM
zenki, i already took the antennae off, and tail lights and the 3rd brake light(i heated it too much w/ the heat gun and fucked the 3rd brake light lens up, so i think im going to shave that now)

oh and i'm diong all the body work and paint..... not a body shop.

i still need help finding the other screws/bolts for those damn headlights though, come on people i know some of you guys have done it before.

Red
03-29-2004, 03:29 PM
What year S14?

EDIT: Here is a 1995 240sx...

element240
03-29-2004, 03:30 PM
95..................... SE 4 lug, yes i know it's wierd and yes it does say SE on the title

Red
03-29-2004, 03:40 PM
There you go bud... Anything ells?

element240
03-29-2004, 03:57 PM
hey thanks Red , now i might be able to tackle it... however i still don't know how many bolts hold the headlights in. i guess i'll keep looking

Red
03-29-2004, 04:06 PM
1 screw for the side markers... 4 hold the lights on... 2 and nuts on the inside and 2 bolts on the outside...

Its super easy to take apart the front... I just did it...

Make sure you line up all your parts in the order you take them off... or your guna hate life when it comes time to put it back together.

element240
03-29-2004, 04:48 PM
thanks man i got to the headlight screws after i found out i had to take the side markers out first... now the thing is i can't get the grill off..... is there a special trick or should i just break the focka?? im sooooo close , but that grill is not moving, i took off the 2 screws but the grill is attatched to the front bumper by the 2 lower legs or whatever and i can't figure out how to take it off.

edit: ok so i did a search... i guess i'm supposed to yank it out.
i bet ya it's gonna break :smash:
oh well... i'm off to break the grill!

element240
03-29-2004, 07:36 PM
ALAS! i am victorious! :w00t:

so this is what i had done this weekend/today:

took off the front end and fenders
shaved the antenna
shaved the 3rd brake light
removed rear emblems
removed tail lights/center piece
gutted interior except for front 2 seats , dash, console etc
sanded down the driver side door
sanded down drives side rear quater panel
sanded down trunk lid

yep... i would like to keep going w/ the project but i'm headed back to school tomorrow (ohio)