PDA

View Full Version : vk45 z32 swap

mnmax
12-10-2012, 08:42 AM
just seeing if anyone out there in the Z32 crowd has looked into any of the VK motors as a viable swap. I have already found that there is a company or 2 that makes adapter plates for just about any tranny(z32, z33, z34) and it has been confirmed ith several different forums that the Z32 flywheel bolts right up. One of the main issues I've been running into is engine management. The VK motors seem to only come with automatics and the ECU's don't like to have the auto tranny missing that's only if you were to get pass NATS at all.
So does anyone out there have any ideas on what to do about EMS and if I end up having to use a universal standalone, is there anyone with base maps?
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jbreezy00
12-11-2012, 02:31 AM
hope you find a answer on the ems problem. I'm really wanting to drop a VK56de in my z32. I've seen alot of 350/g35 and 370s with this swap done bolted up to stock manual transmission with an adapter. might go to the nico website and check with one of them if they had same problem on the 350z.

mnmax
12-11-2012, 06:01 AM
I'm hoping so too. there was a guy on hybridz that had the VK56 bolted in a Z32 and it sat in there beautifully, but apparently he had abandoned the project because of some financial issues. That's the closest I've seen for a VK in a Z32. Mid Jan is when i start checking fitment of the motor in the bay. Speaking of which... Does anyone have a 350Z or G35 manual driveshaft? Doesn't need to be good condition, it's going to be cut up anyway.

mnmax
12-12-2012, 06:48 AM
I emailed Jared at Uprev.com, apparently they have ROM files that gives you the ability to disable NATS so that the ecu won't go into limp mode. This is actually perfect for anybody that wants to swap over to a VQ or VK while still keeping it cost effective.
For anybody that is unfamiliar with Uprev's systems, it's a flash on your stock VQ, VK, or VR ECU. You can give them preferences on your setup and have a flash tuned by them or you can have full standalone capabilities and have the option to save up to 5 different Maps for however you would like to drive.
Regular ROM tune would run around $300 and their full tuner option at $700. This is at least a 1/4 to 1/3 of the price for a full standalone.

Jbreezy00
12-15-2012, 02:00 AM
omg. someone was close to having a vk56 in the z32 and abandoned it? makes me wanna cry. 325hp 385 tq stock NA in the z32 is soo sexy. then theres a supercharger for that motor that makes it sit even better under the hood. easily pushing 500hp 600 tq ive already got some good meat wrapped around my 18x9.5 rims. just need that torque under the hood to burn them off.

mnmax
12-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Yes... Very sad indeed. Well at least I got the engine management all sorted out. All I need to do now is get the motor dropped in and spend a couple days on the dyno to get her running properly. Sounds like the next couple months are going to be fun.