PDA

View Full Version : Interest in a new type of strut bar/chassis brace?

turbo98
10-31-2012, 09:44 AM
My friend and I have been tossing around the idea of making a triangulated strut bar and/or a brace that connects the firewall, strut towers, and core support. Think of it as a bolt in engine cage. It will have 6 points of contact and will be made of stainless. Just wanted to get some feedback, good or bad.

Croustibat
10-31-2012, 10:16 AM
first observations

1/it is completely unsafe, as it will prevent the front to crush in case of a crash. Unless the brace is only decorative (but then, why install it)

2/ it will be heavy

3/ it will be expensive, unless made in China; but if it is made in China, back to point 1: it will be decorative

4/ fleabay bars have success for 2 reasons : they are shiny and cheap, meaning they decorate engine room quite well on parking lots.

5/ you dont need a brace to the font of the car. You need braces to tie suspension points that gets a lot of forces on them, i.e strut towers.

6/ there are brake lines on the firewall where you want to fit your bar

7/ when someone really wants an increase in rigidity AND can afford it, he gets a cage, because that is the most effective and the most secure.

8/ think about packaging, a 1 piece item is impossible to ship.

9/ think about the customer profile. if it is cheap, they will most likely have twisted chassis, so make the bars adjustable in some way.

My feeling is, if it is a real brace, it is dangerous. If it is not a real brace and you make it a bolt in (think about the brake lines), shiny and cheap item, you will sell many of them. Not to me though.

turbo98
10-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Very good points.