PDA

View Full Version : Disney Buys Lucasfilm...Star Wars 7 in 2015 followed by 8 and 9

exitspeed
10-30-2012, 03:02 PM
Holy shit!

by mario aguilar

disney just entered into an agreement to purchase lucasfilm for $4.05 billion. The plan is to make star wars episode 7, which is currently slated for release in 2015. And that’s just the beginning. Don’t groan you miserable fanboi. This is exciting! (updating)

according to the deal, disney is acquiring the whole lucasfilm shebang from george lucas, who still owns 100-percent of the company. In addition to massive properties like star wars, disney will also get lucasfilm’s hugely profitable film technology and marketing companies including lucasfilm ltd., lucasarts, industrial light & magic, and skywalker sound.

Kathleen kennedy, current co-chairman of lucasfilm, will become president of lucasfilm. She’ll report directly to walt disney studios chief alan horn. Kennedy, who was apparently “hand-picked” by lucas, will executive produce the new star wars films. George lucas will remain a “creative consultant” on the projects.

Yes, we said films. Many films. This deal is all about star wars and the unstoppable juggernaut that it is. The plans of disney extend far beyond episode 7. From disney ceo and chairman robert a. Iger’s prepared remarks to investors on a call today:

In 2015, we’re planning to release star wars episode 7 – the first feature film under the “disney-lucasfilm” brand. That will be followed by episodes 8 and 9 – and our long-term plan is to release a new star wars feature film every two to three years.

In other words, as with the acquisition of pixar in 2006 and marvel (2009) before, disney wants to leverage the brand for its cultural capital, and cash in on star wars. It’s already a massive multi-film franchise with lunch boxes, neckties. But it could be so much more, and disney’s track record in recent years has been pretty impeccable.

And that’s where this deal starts to get pretty exciting. A lot of hardcore star wars fans are going to see all the negatives right away. This is very lame, they’ll say, because, you know, disney. Disney is collossally uncool. But consider how well toy story 3 and the avengers turned out. They were freaking awesome.

Now, think about what george lucas has done in recent years to our beloved star wars franchise. It’s been nothing but stagnant rehashing. We don’t need a new blu-ray of the return of the jedi. We need something huge and impressive. Lucas just wasn’t capable of it any more, but maybe disney is. At least here, we’ve got a chance for a star wars movie wrenched free of george lucas’ hubris.

Plus, iger hints at a star wars theme park material? Can we suggest a tie fighter roller coaster, please? Now we’re talking.

Double-R
10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Dont kno how to react....

They bought Lucas films, so from here on out all those die hard nut jobs will be bantering how Disney butchered the name by creating junk.

Disney monopolizing.

fliprayzin240sx
10-30-2012, 03:41 PM
Don't we have anti-trust laws for shit like this?

But then again, imagine all the Star Wars related rides in EPCOT!!!

exitspeed
10-30-2012, 03:51 PM
What makes me so excited about Disney doing this is look at what an amazing job they've done with Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers. There's soooo much potential for awesomeness here. AND best of all Lucas steps aside as Director. Joss Weadon anyone?

Daniel.
10-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Even better. Imagine Star Wars Episode VII directed by Christopher Nolan.

“A Long Time Ago in… A Whoooooooooooole New World”

http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/gangnam-style-star-wars-gif.gif

http://i.imgur.com/TSlSe.gif

http://www.refinedguy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/gangnam-style-star-wars-parody-gif.gif

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v685/suneaku/Lucas_Disney.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A6e_2d4CUAIm4UX.jpg

Double-R
10-30-2012, 04:21 PM
^^^ Lmfao! Shrooms often?

Pirates of the caribbean?! Dan can we get capt jack swaggering down the halls of the death star? Lol

Slims
10-30-2012, 04:38 PM
Even better. Imagine Star Wars Episode VII directed by Christopher Nolan.

“A Long Time Ago in… A Whoooooooooooole New World”

lmfao the first two had me rolling.

considering that eps 1-3 were a let down for most people, and seeing the success of marvel as stated before, making something worthwhile should be pretty easy for them. That said It is pretty easy to screw up something that is already so big as well, but i think they have the resources to make the next three something great. as long as Disney doesn't dip their hand into the pot that is.

simmode1
10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
AND best of all Lucas steps aside as Director. Joss Weadon anyone?
Precisely the first thing I thought of. I'm pretty optimistic about this.

roboticnissan
10-30-2012, 08:09 PM
This should be cool. I read alot of books that were pre episode I i thought had good story

Future240
10-30-2012, 08:30 PM
For the love of everything right in this world Disney PLEASE make a Knights of the Old Republic III.

Slims
10-30-2012, 08:36 PM
For the love of everything right in this world Disney PLEASE make a Knights of the Old Republic III.

too many game spinoffs have been made. would be great but i think its a long shot. "OR" is over a 2000 year time span now, not sure how they would do it.

S14DB
10-30-2012, 08:39 PM
Don't we have anti-trust laws for shit like this?

But then again, imagine all the Star Wars related rides in EPCOT!!!

There is already StarWars ride in MGM. They even have a Fan Weekend with signings and Q&A sessions.

Of all the bad things Disney could do with Star Wars, I raise you JarJar...

DP-AE86
10-30-2012, 08:47 PM
Not sure how to react to this either..

I'm just excited to know the next trilogy is coming. But....under Disney...?

1sickS14
10-30-2012, 08:51 PM
I think Disney will perform well in resuming the Star Wars franchise. The price may not be justifiable but I am sure they will get their monies worth off of the first film.

WanganRunner
10-30-2012, 09:39 PM
If this means John Lasseter directs star wars, it will be good...

EsChassisLove
10-31-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm wet. In my pants

Future240
10-31-2012, 06:30 AM
too many game spinoffs have been made. would be great but i think its a long shot. "OR" is over a 2000 year time span now, not sure how they would do it.

I don't think it would be. Hell there is a Halo 4 even though the covenant was destroyed.

Set it 1000 years after the 2nd one with new characters and stories.

Corbic
10-31-2012, 07:19 AM

Because people that watch movies play games... *sarcasum*

There is no reason that the first KOTOR could not be made into a smashingly awesome movie, or better yet, trilogy.

The general public will not see it coming that the main char was Raven...better yet, make Bastila Raven... All her memories and personality is the fake imprinted one. The main char was actually the powerful Jedi sent to mind wipe Raven and ended up losing his memory.... No one, even the fans would not see it!

Agent240sx
10-31-2012, 10:23 AM

They are planning to release a star wars related movie every 2-3 years after episode 9, they would definitely have to dip into other area of the star wars franchise for that. I can see them bringing knights of the old republic or even starkiller onto the big screen.

Corbic
10-31-2012, 10:38 AM
They are planning to release a star wars related movie every 2-3 years after episode 9, they would definitely have to dip into other area of the star wars franchise for that. I can see them bringing knights of the old republic or even starkiller onto the big screen.

...and Legos.

Banana_Cute
10-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Name on movie that disney ruined for you?

Slims
10-31-2012, 10:52 AM
Name on movie that disney ruined for you?
I was going to point out their old sequels, but then i remembered the new Tron was a sequel. it just seems easy to screw up something thats so established once someone else takes over. marvel didnt have the best track record to go with so it wasn't too hard to make it a hit.

Because people that watch movies play games... *sarcasum*

well played. valid point. and a good idea

damn, no one liked that, im wrong. guess i just thought it was wishful thinking. Star-killer would be pretty bad ass character with today's Hollywood CGI and shit.

I'm more interested in the stories lines after the current franchise one, producers and game makers have yet to do anything with those. I'll still cross my fingers for the OR though.

K_style
10-31-2012, 10:55 AM
I am fine with it as long as some idol idiots ruin new Star Wars..

Teigen
10-31-2012, 11:08 AM
Would accept if for a fact that this just happened if the movies gets good.

As mentioned above, the Marvel heroes was greatly visualized by Disney. Pirates of the Caribbean was also very nice made.

Hoping that this gets either awesome or awesome

Future240
10-31-2012, 11:35 AM
I wouldn't mind more tv series like the clone wars saga on cartoon network. No live action though.

jamg
10-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Lucas billionaire boys

exitspeed
10-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Well that answers that.
Star Wars: Episode VII Will Be an "Original Story" - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-vii-will-be-an-original-story?abthid=509188ba725fb0b674000087)

Yesterday, Star Wars fans were abuzz with excitement when Disney announced that they had acquired Lucasfilm in a $4.05 billion deal and were prepping a 2015 release for Star Wars: Episode VII.

Now, according to E! Online, a Lucasfilm source said that the plot of the film will be "an original story." This means that Episode VII will not be an adaptation of any existing licensed Star Wars material. So, for those of you with your hearts set on that Thrawn Trilogy, I'm afraid your dreams reside in the Netherworld of the Force.

This news only adds to the mystery and intrigue surrounding the third Star Wars trilogy, because, well... now we have no earthly idea what it's about.

One person who might have a clue is Dale Pollock, author of the unauthorized biography Skywalking: The Life And Films Of George Lucas. In a chat with TheWrap, Pollock revealed that he was able to read the outlines to Episodes VII, VIII and IX, but had to sign a confidentiality agreement preventing him from revealing the specifics of their contents.

"It was originally a 12-part saga," recalled Pollock. "The three most exciting stories were 7, 8 and 9. They had propulsive action, really interesting new worlds, new characters. I remember thinking, 'I want to see these 3 movies.'" He added that an older version of Luke Skywalker appears in the final trilogy. We'll see if any of these elements remain in the final version of the third trilogy.

Finally, click here if you're curious what filmmakers such as J.J. Abrams, Jon Favreau, Damon Lindelof, and Robert Rodriguez think about the prospect of a new Star Wars trilogy.

Stay tuned for further Episode VII updates as they become available.

Dutchmalmiss
10-31-2012, 02:33 PM
Subscribed for "cautious optimism" purposes.

1 88 U
10-31-2012, 03:00 PM
As long as Lucas is kept far far away it will be great.

Corbic
10-31-2012, 03:31 PM
As long as Lucas is kept far far away it will be great.

He's 68, he may be dead by then.

derux
10-31-2012, 03:41 PM
If they bring back mark hamill as an old Jedi. I think that would be cool.

Future240
10-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Well that answers that.
Star Wars: Episode VII Will Be an "Original Story" - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/10/31/star-wars-episode-vii-will-be-an-original-story?abthid=509188ba725fb0b674000087)

Fuck it. I'm excited now. I was cautious when Disney bought Marvel and we see how great that has turned out.

I'm glad they are breathing some new life into Star Wars. I just really really really hope we get a good game out of this.

Corbic
10-31-2012, 04:19 PM
Fuck it. I'm excited now. I was cautious when Disney bought Marvel and we see how great that has turned out.

I'm glad they are breathing some new life into Star Wars. I just really really really hope we get a good game out of this.

I suspect Disney has realized it's easier to make movies from existing franchises. Chronicles of Narnia, Marvel ect all have built in fans and recognition, making them easy success.

John Carter, from what I hear, was a great movie... the problem was nobody cared. So rather then continuing that path Disney felt - "Fuck it, we know people will see a new star wars movie.... and we know we won't fuck it up so bad that they won't see a second one... or third one"

Riq
10-31-2012, 04:41 PM
Wow.... This should be great

1 88 U
10-31-2012, 06:36 PM
He's 68, he may be dead by then.

I hope he's alive to see the fans and critics fawn all over it.

simmode1
10-31-2012, 06:48 PM
So.... No Grand Admiral Thrawn?:wtc:

I'm still excited though.

theronin
10-31-2012, 09:00 PM
John Carter, from what I hear, was a great movie...

John Carter was a great movie. sucks it didnt get the credit it deserves. very cool premise and executed well. great twist at the end left me grinning from ear to ear. if you haven't seen John Carter, i would highly suggest you do.

simmode1
10-31-2012, 09:16 PM
I agree, I enjoyed John Carter. Made me realize how much of a hack Lucas is...

Daniel.
10-31-2012, 09:35 PM
I also recently saw John Carter and really enjoyed it. +1

fyneyoungstunna
10-31-2012, 10:29 PM
wow. I get so much shit from my friends and co-workers for saying John Carter was an awesome movie. Solid story line too. After watching it, I bought all the books in the series.

But, that's where our parallels ends. Avengers, Captain America, X-men, Thor...ALL of them Sucked. Big time. I guess its just cause I'm Old and the CGI and more explosions than story make me feel like I,m watching Live action Dubstep...But I actually LIKE dubstep. Hell, the old Captain America was a little more entertaining to me...
I take that back, "Origins" was good. They ALL felt way to Kiddie..

wonpoo
11-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Starwars! Episode 7: Rated pg13

Future240
11-01-2012, 05:31 AM
Seems I need to watch John Carter.

exitspeed
11-01-2012, 06:28 AM
It's funny everyone is mentioning John Carter because Disney was selling that AS the next Star Wars...guess not. The next Star Wars is the NEXT STAR WARS!

simmode1
11-01-2012, 08:50 AM
Seems I need to watch John Carter.
Watch it knowing the fact that the source material predates Star Wars.

Corbic
11-01-2012, 08:57 AM
Watch it knowing the fact that the source material predates Star Wars.

1930s, no?

paintkilz
11-01-2012, 09:01 AM
if they follow the Tim Zahn(sp?) books that were after the original trilogy then this will be awesome...im a big fan of the the Rise of the Jedi storylines as well as the Old Republic stuff...im actually reading Revan right now..

itd make sense to jump ahead in the future as Luke could be played by Hamill still and we could see how his and Leia/Hans kids are dealing...hell Han and Leias kid eventually becomes what equates to the strongest sith ever...even luke still has to turn bad then good again.

lots of good possibilities especially since Lucas is only a consultant now lol.

imagine Pixar being used for cg work...hell id even watch the ewok movie if Pixar redid it.

simmode1
11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
Sadly, it's already been said that they WON'T be following any of the Timothy Zahn stuff.

Corbic
11-01-2012, 09:07 AM
They ALL felt way to Kiddie..

They are the junk food of the movie world. It's tasty, easy to eat... But to much and you get a stomach ache. They also don't fill you up and are soon forgotten.

The Marvel movies are cute, enjoyable at the theater, but I'd never buy the DVD, let alone watch then again in the next 5-10 years.

It's 12-cents a minute entertainment ($10 / 90 mins) that you can go back to work the next day and talk about for a week. However they are hardly thought provoking, emotionally moving or even "original".

I could have cared less about the guy that died in the Avengers, I don't even remover his name. When Izzi died in The Fountain, that was gut wrenching and left me thinking for months about it.

revcyanide
11-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Sadly, it's already been said that they WON'T be following any of the Timothy Zahn stuff.

just a rumor so far, as stated in the article.

Slims
11-01-2012, 10:41 AM
not to thread jack from start wars but, loopers? that shit left me thinking about it.

thrax
11-01-2012, 11:57 AM

I'd love for either the Star Wars franchise or Star Trek franchise to come out with a movie or series that was "R" rated just once. :cool:

Matej
11-01-2012, 02:49 PM
They should make Monkey Island into a film series.

exitspeed
11-01-2012, 04:06 PM
I'd love for either the Star Wars franchise or Star Trek franchise to come out with a movie or series that was "R" rated just once. :cool:

Why? Star Wars has always been a family experience. Kids have enjoyed Star Wars for generations. I can't WAIT to take my son to see the next movie. He'll be 5 by then. There are plenty of rated R movies out there. There's no reason to ruin Star Wars for the sake of violence and swearing and fuck up the whole experience.

S14DB
11-01-2012, 04:37 PM

Um, All the Star Wars movies so far have been rated PG...

It's funny everyone is mentioning John Carter because Disney was selling that AS the next Star Wars...guess not. The next Star Wars is the NEXT STAR WARS!
John Carter wasn't financially successful because of gross financial mismanagement.
It made $282,778,100 at the box office but cost a staggering $250-350m to make. It would have had to make "more than US$600-million to break even, ... a height reached by only 63 films in the history of moviemaking."
John Carter (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_%28film%29)

I wonder how over budget the new Star Wars will go...
1930s, no?

1912, Why they put it out in 2012. Last book was published in 1964 after Burroughs death(1950).

ericcastro
11-04-2012, 11:25 AM
I suspect Disney has realized it's easier to make movies from existing franchises. Chronicles of Narnia, Marvel ect all have built in fans and recognition, making them easy success.

Movies have realized movies are easier to make from existing tales. There is a surprising amount of movies you live that you didnt even know where remakes.
And remember, Disneys been doing existing fairy tales since they started ;)

S14DB beat me too ti, lol

You loved star wars as a kid right? You would have never seen it if it was R. Disney will now have a new generation of fans, the episode 1-3 croud, and us original lovers that saw 1-3 in theaters.

Pretty smart company.

John Carter wasn't financially successful because of gross financial mismanagement.
It made $282,778,100 at the box office but cost a staggering $250-350m to make. It would have had to make "more than US$600-million to break even, ... a height reached by only 63 films in the history of moviemaking."
John Carter (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Carter_%28film%29)

Wait till Warner Brothers flops the new Superman. When working on it I heard something to the tune of 600MM. WB's most expensive venture ever.

Hopefully they do all the scripts, and dont end up writing the days work on set like they did on Pirates 3.

Also, did this guy come in the deal??
http://avoision.com/portnoy/images/2007/september/warwickWillow.jpg

I wonder if they have plans for Indiana Jones??

Willow? Labyrinth?

I think Disney got tired of paying Lucas royalties on Star Tours (1987) and Indiana Jones(1995?). lol

dtfdanyo
11-04-2012, 11:45 AM
IT's A TRAP!

Agamemnon
11-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Um, All the Star Wars movies so far have been rated PG...
Episode III was rated PG-13 in US markets.

EjMalernee
11-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Willow for the win!!

1 88 U
11-05-2012, 08:03 AM
George Lucas is donating the entire 4 billion to education charities. Much respect going the Bill Gates route.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2227949/Star-Wars-creator-George-Lucas-donate-4billion-Disney-deal-charity.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

towlie
11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
Kind of stoked.. New story lines and characters sounds interesting

Corbic
11-05-2012, 04:53 PM
George Lucas is donating the entire 4 billion to education charities. Much respect going the Bill Gates route.
Star Wars creator George Lucas to donate $4billion from Disney deal to charity | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2227949/Star-Wars-creator-George-Lucas-donate-4billion-Disney-deal-charity.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

Rather easy when your 68 and already worth 700 million.

S14DB
11-05-2012, 05:37 PM
Willow for the win!!

With all the Hobbit hype I would like to see this too.

Wow, he was in two of the Star Wars movies.
Warwick Davis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warwick_Davis)

4DOOR_LIFE
01-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Although it is a long way from now, I'm pretty excited for this.

The original plan for Disneyland’s Tomorrowland relied heavily on characters and plot points from the first three Star Wars films, with attractions like a Millenium Falcon walk-thru on the old PeopleMover platform, a wild Tatooine cantina replacing Tomorrowland Terrace, and a speeder bike ride through an Ewok village where Autopia currently sits.

full article : Disneyland Is Remodeling Tomorrowland Based on Star Wars: Episode VII - IGN (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/07/disneyland-is-remodeling-tomorrowland-based-on-star-wars-episode-vii)

exitspeed
01-08-2014, 07:49 AM
They are going to have a HARD time keeping that under wraps. Which is cool. Hopefully we get some plot details (characters, story, etc) soon.