PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this s13?

Aurimas
10-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Hello everyone.
Well, my name is Aurimas and I am about to buy my first 240sx so I thought I might ask for some advice here.

Well this person offered me his car:
89 240sx SE, 5 speed, clean title (I did a VIN check for this one)
Car has only 4 owners and has been only in CA and NV so shouldn't be a rust bucket.
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/564048_543190779027597_1489718269_n.jpg
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/14147_543190719027603_566746507_n.jpg

Stance GR+Pro coils (adjustable)
Aftermarket exhaust
19" wheels (too big for me)
Some kind of "ricey" body kit (doesn't look that bad actually)
Adjustable headlights (sleepy eyes).

And the guy has all the receipts for the repairs he has done recently (he had the car since July 6, 2012)
New clutch
Tires
Cooling system hoses.
So far so good to me.
He said that the SOHC still pulls hard and no leaks, etc.

One big problem.

230,000 miles :duh:.

Worth it? He wants around 3k, I could probably go down to 2.5k.

Corbic
10-23-2012, 08:09 PM
yeah, sure

Aurimas
10-23-2012, 08:11 PM
yeah, sure

Is that a serious answer or sarcasm?

chuki.s13.coupe.
10-23-2012, 08:13 PM
Does it matter what anyone says? In the end, you're going to do what ever you want.

Aurimas
10-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Does it matter what anyone says? In the end, you're going to do what ever you want.

Sometimes it matters. I just want to know if the SOHC is really that good that it ran up to 230,000 miles and no problems.

Grocery Cart
10-23-2012, 08:15 PM
I'd see if he'd lower the price. 230k is a lot hahah.
But then again like they said. In the end you're going to do what you want.

fliprayzin240sx
10-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Sometimes it matters. I just want to know if the SOHC is really that good that it ran up to 230,000 miles and no problems.

Who the fuck would really know? Car has had 4 previous owner, how well taken care of was it? Fucking car could have 350k on it, if all the owners took good care of it, maybe even swap out the engine at one point, would mileage really matter? Ultimately, its your money. Inspect it, if you think the engine is healthy, its not a ticking timebomb and you're willing to pay that much money for a SOHC...more power to you.

Would I buy it for that much? Fuck no, then again, I hate S13 hatches.

Bambi
10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
I heard Honda's are pretty reliable.

Aurimas
10-23-2012, 09:49 PM
Just went there to check it out.
Pros:
Shifts and drives smooth, you can feel the aftermarket suspension stiffness.
Clutch wasn't slipping.
Engine did't sound like it was knocking.
It was a cold start, so it too a good second to start, no leaks though.
Interior is very clean.
The spoiler was so s*** and heavy that the trunks hydraulics couldn't keep it up (the guy who has it doesn't like it either).
Sleepy eyes work perfectly. AC works too.
No rust on the body, only on calipers.
Engine was swapped from a different one (unknown mileage, possibly lower).

Overall cosmetic rating 8/10

Cons:
Few dings and one paint chip (don't really care).
Idle sounded like the engine dropped a hundred revs for a second (he said because of the AC probably).
Passenger's window didn't roll down.
Driver's window rolled down, but you had to pull it up a little bit.
Engine light is on, but it's pre-1996 car so who knows what it is.
The center storage (don't know what it is called) latch was broken, so it didn't hold still.

My main concern is the rough idle. Could anyone give me some input on that? I am thinking about swapping an engine later into a KA24DE

He was firm on the price, so I said $2700 is as high as I can go.
He said he will think about it so I guess he doesn't want to be lowballed (car might be good actually)

Aurimas
10-23-2012, 09:50 PM
Who the fuck would really know? Car has had 4 previous owner, how well taken care of was it? Fucking car could have 350k on it, if all the owners took good care of it, maybe even swap out the engine at one point, would mileage really matter? Ultimately, its your money. Inspect it, if you think the engine is healthy, its not a ticking timebomb and you're willing to pay that much money for a SOHC...more power to you.

Would I buy it for that much? Fuck no, then again, I hate S13 hatches.

Good answer, just don't flame me. :sadwavey:

chuki.s13.coupe.
10-23-2012, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't pay $2700 for that car.

Aurimas
10-23-2012, 11:12 PM
I wouldn't pay $2700 for that car.

Nothing cheaper out here in Vegas. Most of running 240's go for even more. In other places they are cheaper.

jamg
10-23-2012, 11:16 PM
Nothing cheaper out here in Vegas. Most of running 240's go for even more. In other places they are cheaper.

then travel to california, find yourself a nice S13, and still spend under $2700.

the drift tax is strong in this one...

Aurimas
10-23-2012, 11:33 PM
then travel to california, find yourself a nice S13, and still spend under $2700.

the drift tax is strong in this one...

Oh I wish I could. With my schedule and no car it's impossible.

mowgli 240sx
10-23-2012, 11:51 PM
if your going to swap the engine, then as long if the body is straight i guess its cool, but if your planning to daily it with that sohc with mega miles on it, it isnt worth it imo

mantas
10-24-2012, 12:11 AM
Another Lithuanian in here, ahh thats it i give up on zilvia hahahah. Seriously not a bad buy just for the coils alone but the rice kit and those wheels would make me turn the other way. I would say $2500 is not bad judging from the pics.

sneakerjunkie
10-24-2012, 12:16 AM
2500 for that would be my offer, clean straight bodied s13 and a SE at that with stance coils which go for about 1k new, the hatch u mentioned the hydrolics supporting it were out, which is common on s13 hatches wing or not, its got a check engine line light that wont pass smog, but i dont know how smog laws are in nevada im basing it of cali laws, nonetheless who knows what that could be, could be something as small as an o2 sensor, all it really needs is decent wheels and remove the kit and a decent height and u have a pretty good looking first starter 240, but if its your first id recommend a stock 240 you can build and start from scratch so you can learn and understand the vehicle itself, also for the coolness factor of the "built not bought" fad, all in all shop around and see what you can get for your highest offer of 2700 for a 240 and weigh which ones are best, only thing i see as a benefit on the 13 is the coilovers

Aurimas
10-24-2012, 12:59 AM
Another Lithuanian in here, ahh thats it i give up on zilvia hahahah. Seriously not a bad buy just for the coils alone but the rice kit and those wheels would make me turn the other way. I would say $2500 is not bad judging from the pics.

Haha! I didn't even think I would meet any Lithuanians here, but I guess it's a small world! Yeah, it drove nicely, I liked it. Tomorrow I am bringing a friend of mine to check it out completely and if it's good I will take it.

Aurimas
10-24-2012, 01:07 AM
2500 for that would be my offer, clean straight bodied s13 and a SE at that with stance coils which go for about 1k new, the hatch u mentioned the hydrolics supporting it were out, which is common on s13 hatches wing or not, its got a check engine line light that wont pass smog, but i dont know how smog laws are in nevada im basing it of cali laws, nonetheless who knows what that could be, could be something as small as an o2 sensor, all it really needs is decent wheels and remove the kit and a decent height and u have a pretty good looking first starter 240, but if its your first id recommend a stock 240 you can build and start from scratch so you can learn and understand the vehicle itself, also for the coolness factor of the "built not bought" fad, all in all shop around and see what you can get for your highest offer of 2700 for a 240 and weigh which ones are best, only thing i see as a benefit on the 13 is the coilovers

Yeah, I thought over that, but I am not really on that "built, not bought" bandwagon. It's hard to find a bone stock 240 here in Vegas... The kit is kinda ok, but definitely I would prefer stock with chuki bumper. The car is pre-1996 so the check engine light doesn't matter here in Nevada (atleast that's what I read on multiple websites and DMV website). They only gonna do the sniffer test because the car doesn't have a OBD II. And the car still has the smog certificate and is registered. The car has ADR GT SPORT wheels, but I am thinking of getting these wheels in the future Varrstoen | Custom Performance Wheels and Accessories ยป ES 2 (http://varrstoen.com/products/es-2/) .

Aurimas
10-24-2012, 01:25 AM
if your going to swap the engine, then as long if the body is straight i guess its cool, but if your planning to daily it with that sohc with mega miles on it, it isnt worth it imo

The engine came from a different car so it has less miles I guess. It's still sohc, though... :(

HyperTek
10-24-2012, 01:34 AM
It is a clean car. Personally I would try to find a virgin stock one with lower miles, which is hard to find since alot of them end up people's failed drift attempts, and half-assed maintenance jobs. But i actually think a virgin stock one in prestine condition would be awesome as is without any mods.

Aurimas
10-24-2012, 01:45 AM
It is a clean car. Personally I would try to find a virgin stock one with lower miles, which is hard to find since alot of them end up people's failed drift attempts, and half-assed maintenance jobs. But i actually think a virgin stock one in prestine condition would be awesome as is without any mods.

I would want a virgin one, but it would probably be automatic and the price would be awesome too. I need a car now and can't wait for any longer.

rat240
10-24-2012, 02:25 AM
this car seems like it has pounds of body filler due to the new paint job and body kit
the front bumper fitment is off, look where its supposed to meet the hood thier is a huge gap and the owner did some make shift grill thing to fill in the gap

chuki.s13.coupe.
10-24-2012, 05:45 AM
So you are buying it, correct?

240pimp
10-24-2012, 08:23 AM
I would count on an engine swap soon, lots of k's.

Car doesnt look too bad judging from the pics.

With the swap coming, I would count that into what you are willing to pay, if you still think it will save you $$$ over paying more for a car w better engine and less miles.

If you plan on beating on it, then that engine will prob. expire pretty soon. Pay now or pay more later, you choose.

Aurimas
10-24-2012, 02:41 PM
So you are buying it, correct?

Most likely.

EDacIouSX
10-24-2012, 02:46 PM
if its super clean it looks like a pretty good/decent deal to me. Yea the aero is ugly... but if its a super clean chasis then that's what really matters. 2500 sounds pretty fair if everything doesn't need to be replaced. Plus it comes with some pretty good/decent coilovers.

silverarrow27
10-24-2012, 06:15 PM
Looks familiar, if the car came from around the Palmdale & Valencia area around 2002-2003 I've met the second owner of the vehicle. He picked up a ka24de from me and went KA-T when those were the days of trial and error of turbocharging the KA.

big white
10-25-2012, 03:46 AM
car looks pretty good. i say do it

s13k4v13
10-25-2012, 04:04 AM
Why not? it looks decent for 2500$ my friend with a sohc ka24e has 350xxx miles:fart: s:fart:still pulls stong

raz0rbladez909
10-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Why not? it looks decent for 2500$ my friend with a sohc ka24e has 350xxx miles:fart: s:fart:still pulls stong

Go get a compression test and leakdown check done on it, that will at least give you a hint at how healthy the motor is. My old SOHC had 255k miles on it and still had great compression and even passed smog lol

Aurimas
10-25-2012, 09:55 AM
Go get a compression test and leakdown check done on it, that will at least give you a hint at how healthy the motor is. My old SOHC had 255k miles on it and still had great compression and even passed smog lol

This car passes smog and had compression just done. At least owner says that.

240Cali
10-27-2012, 11:49 AM
clean tittle- straight frame - aftermarket coils is always nice, POS wheels POS kit POS engine ya id offer him 2k and have him keep his 19s lol if youre wallets not deep tho this MIGHT be a tickin time bomb if youre not willing to replace to whole engine or throw a lottt of money at it.. good luck tho man

Aurimas
10-27-2012, 02:32 PM
clean tittle- straight frame - aftermarket coils is always nice, POS wheels POS kit POS engine ya id offer him 2k and have him keep his 19s lol if youre wallets not deep tho this MIGHT be a tickin time bomb if youre not willing to replace to whole engine or throw a lottt of money at it.. good luck tho man

Yeah... When I checked out the car during the late hours, everything looked nice and perfect. The story changed when I went there in the morning and brought my mechanic along. First thing I noticed was that the spaces between hood, hatch, doors, etc. didn't match. The body didn't look that straight anymore. Passenger's door was grinding on the side skirt. Didn't even bother opening the trunk and looking under the spare tire to see what's hiding there.

Interior didn't look that nice either, there were some spills.

Offered him 2k, no more, he said no "I just put in $1400 in this car, no way I am selling it for that much" Well, you got ripped off, buddy.

If you are in Vegas and you are offered this car, I recommend to stay away from it.

Moral of this: never trust VIN check.

EDIT: Also, I saw that coolant reservoir was cracked and fixed with... duct tape! RICE!

cealgerrabs
11-01-2012, 09:46 AM
There are a great deal of electronic cigarette starter kits offering on the web proper now, but which electronic cigarette starter kit is the greatest, and which electronic cigarette starter package is the greatest worth for your income. Electronic cigarette starter kits come in a assortment of combination's, prices, and styles. This electronic cigarette weblog will assist you make a decision which electronic cigarette starter package is finest for you, and how to get the most out of your electronic cigarette starter package.

One particular type of electronic cigarette starter kit is the portable carrying charger electronic cigarette starter kit. This electronic cigarette starter package usually arrives with just a single electronic cigarette battery, 1 pack of electronic cigarette cartridges, and a single electronic cigarette starter kit transportable carrying charger, and a energy line for the electronic cigarette starter kit moveable carrying charger. A excellent electronic cigarette starter kit but a quite pricey electronic cigarette starter package is a extremely visible and higher priced electronic cigarette starter kit. This electronic cigarette starter kit arrives in a great box that will fold up with a magnet on the box, this electronic cigarette starter package will come with 2 electronic cigarette batteries, and here is in which the noticeable portion is one particular electronic cigarette battery will be brief, and one particular electronic cigarette battery will be extended.

This is a obvious electronic cigarette starter package since the two batteries will be proven on the best in a foam insert. This electronic cigarette starter package comes from a specific electronic cigarette manufacturer that costs a large wholesale value for the electronic cigarette starter kits. Given that the manufacturer costs soo considerably for their electronic cigarette starter kits, the electronic cigarette supplier should pass the large rates on to the customer looking to buy a electronic cigarette starter package. These electronic cigarette starter kits are typically moderately priced. Check out this excellent buy here (http://www.przetrwaccierpienie.org.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=34087) web page link.

240pimp
11-01-2012, 05:03 PM
^^ i'm going to run right out and buy one.

I didn't know that automated spam could be so informative.....:eek3:

PS- who the fuck buys this shit? Apparently there are alot of people buying penis enhancing pills on the net too....

AdrianDimas
11-19-2012, 09:36 PM
If i were you i would inspect it and get a compression test and run some sort of tests around the engine to play it safe. Ive seen some go for like 3,000$ with 140,00 miles. Just keep looking around bro. You'll find one better for that price

Aurimas
11-19-2012, 09:41 PM
If i were you i would inspect it and get a compression test and run some sort of tests around the engine to play it safe. Ive seen some go for like 3,000$ with 140,00 miles. Just keep looking around bro. You'll find one better for that price

Close this thread. This car was a POS. I already got one, pretty decent one with sr20det redtop for $3500.

mantas
11-19-2012, 11:47 PM
Bitchin! Yeah sr swapped 13 is better than that rice bucket even if the current requires work lol.

Aurimas
11-19-2012, 11:48 PM
Bitchin! Yeah sr swapped 13 is better than that rice bucket even if the current requires work lol.

Hell yeah it is! Needs few things, but the engine is solid!

BTW I need a PS high pressure line, if you have one for cheap, hit me up.

1jzjoey
11-19-2012, 11:53 PM
Car has only 4 owners

ONLY 4 owners?
that things becoming a slut.

mantas
11-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Hell yeah it is! Needs few things, but the engine is solid!

BTW I need a PS high pressure line, if you have one for cheap, hit me up.

Get one from vatozone and it will have lifetime warranty. Thats what i did, mine leaked for about 2 years until i decided to change it hahha. Now my pump is about done, but i really dont feel like changing it until i fix my truck.

Aurimas
11-20-2012, 12:01 AM
ONLY 4 owners?
that things becoming a slut.

You don't even wanna know how many owners my current one had...

Aurimas
11-20-2012, 12:03 AM
Get one from vatozone and it will have lifetime warranty. Thats what i did, mine leaked for about 2 years until i decided to change it hahha. Now my pump is about done, but i really dont feel like changing it until i fix my truck.

I was thinking about it, but my insurance killed my wallet :duh: