PDA

View Full Version : selling a car and the title

nismo954
10-19-2012, 06:14 PM
so i bought a car last week and it seems to me that its going to cost alot of money to fix. i havent got the car registered yet but i have the title but its not in my name.

can i sell the car if the title is still labeled with the previous owners name or do i have to get it registered 1st then sell it?

ultimateirving
10-19-2012, 06:19 PM
depends on the state, but as long as it is signed you should be able to transfer ownership with out first registering it in your name.
I just bought a car in AZ and the person i bought it from only had it for 2mos, and never converted the title to his name. it was still in the previous owners name, but the DMV doesnt care here in phoenix.

nismo954
10-19-2012, 06:21 PM
im in florida,hope it the same over here.

turbobrick
10-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Did you already sign the title? If so you will probably have to transfer it into your name, but you shouldn't have to register it also. I currently own three cars that I just did title transfer but have not registered, which were I live doesn't cost anything.

fliprayzin240sx
10-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Since you're in FL, your best bet is to call your county tax collector office for info.

Flexin
10-21-2012, 10:19 AM
not to mention whoever is buying the car is going to be asking a lot of questions when they see the title..

yoozef
10-21-2012, 10:32 AM
If you never signed it, then no. There's no way for the state to know you ever owned it, just give the title to the next owner. If you did sign it when you bought it then it gets tricky.