PDA

View Full Version : emissions fun time!!!!

ditchs14
10-15-2012, 09:50 PM
so i took all of my emissions off my KA-T. but i got two quick questions.

1.what do i do with the small rectangle box thing on the blow. im sure its part of the evap or pcv. can i cap it?

2. the hard line that runs with the fuel lines back to the tank. it hooked up to the small black thing on top of my intake. do i cap that as well????

Frank_Jaeger
10-15-2012, 10:19 PM
so i took all of my emissions off my KA-T. but i got two quick questions.

1.what do i do with the small rectangle box thing on the blow. im sure its part of the evap or pcv. can i cap it?
What's a blow?

2. the hard line that runs with the fuel lines back to the tank. it hooked up to the small black thing on top of my intake. do i cap that as well????
No, you do not want to block that line. That would be bad. Your gas tank relieves excessive pressure through that line. Vent it to atmosphere. If you're the paranoid type, then put a tiny filter on it.

ditchs14
10-16-2012, 10:19 AM
What's a blow?

No, you do not want to block that line. That would be bad. Your gas tank relieves excessive pressure through that line. Vent it to atmosphere. If you're the paranoid type, then put a tiny filter on it.

i mean block sorry. its in this video at the 28sec mark

r3_NaE4XJt0

and are you sure about that line. mine is filled with a bunch of tinny balls. i guess its carbon..idk...its not at the back of the car its in my engine bay.

locoluna825
10-16-2012, 10:28 AM
That item hes hitting at the 28 sec mark is for the crankcase ventilation. I know that hose comes back up and is connected to the pcv system. No i dont think you would want to cap that. You are going to want to retain your pcv system on your KA. You should hook it back up properly with you turbo setup

ditchs14
10-16-2012, 10:33 AM
im guessing that it should not see boost right?? can i tie that in with the hose coming from the valve cover and just run it to my catch can??

edit: ok so after at some setups on KA-T.org i figured out the setup. now i just need to find out want to do about this metal line that goes back to what i guess is the evap setup by my tank. it starts right by the fuel filter

locoluna825
10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
If you could I would leave your charcoal canister intact. But if you want to remove it there is a possibility of debris, moister and even water (if your car sees enough rain) to work its way into your fuel tank. You could put a filter on the line that went back to the fuel tank. That would keep debris out of there. Your gonna smell fuel sometimes outside of your car while its not running because its open to the atmosphere. But do not cap it off. it will cause your fuel tank to pressurize from the heat in the tank, and that is sorta dangerous....

Mikester
10-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Capping off charcoal cannister = No bueno.

1. in-tank fumes have nowhere to go; 240SX becomes Pinto.

2. Fuel pump suction creates negative pressure; tank implodes ( I have seen this).

I deleted my evap system (and EGR)... and for the reasons above, I vent the tank, so both negative and positive pressures have an avenue to equalize, thru a small filter to atmosphere like this:

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5040/7185385092_cf71449547_b_d.jpg

Back on topic, the breather separator (28 sec mark in vid) is tied to the PCV system 118 Crankcase Ventilation :: Engine Mechanical :: Genuine Nissan Parts :: 240SX Parts (S13) 1989-1994 :: Nissan Parts, NISMO and Nissan Accessories - Courtesyparts.com (http://www.courtesyparts.com/240sx-parts-s13-1989-1994/genuine-nissan-parts/engine-mechanical/118-crankcase-ventilation/-c-1418_1419_1420_1427.html) . You will want to retain crankcase ventilation at all costs. The PCV should close under boost, and open under vacuum.

This thread has what you need, and good pics. www.ka-t.org :: View topic - HOW TO: *Properly* disconnect your PCV ... (http://www.ka-t.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27437&start=105)

ditchs14
10-16-2012, 02:53 PM
^^^yeah thats the thread i was reading. yeah i wish i didn't have obdII or i wouldn't have this problem. my car never had a charcoal canister lol..