PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Lock Cylinder removal?? how the eff...?? searched but no cigar

INeedNewTires
03-12-2004, 01:27 PM
Im trying to remove my ignition lock cylinder. ive got all the wires disconnected (still in tact) and the steering wheel and wiper switch assembly removed. Now i cant figure out how to get the actual Ignition cylinder off the steering shaft. it looks like its 2 pieces, upper and lower, but its held on with what looks like a bolt, but with no head... its not a rivet or a screw or nething, and definitely cant be unscrewed....

SO whats the problem?? please help buys, i searched and came up with nothing. the closest thing was another problem some guy had but nobody replied to it.

Also, the ignition cylinder im using to replace it is from an auto... does this matter?

Thanks in advance

kidinthehall
03-12-2004, 01:56 PM
dremel tool. cut a slot in the heads, unscrew.........done

kazuo
03-12-2004, 02:49 PM
Or you can do what my friend did to get mine out -- grab a screwdriver and a hammer and tap the screw out. You're basically whacking the screw in order to turn it.

Its somewhat time-consuming and difficult, so using the dremel and cutting a slot is probably easier. :P

INeedNewTires
03-13-2004, 10:52 AM
sounds like a huge pain but if its all i can do then i guess thats that. I might try and tac weld a bolt to it and then unscrew it that way, because the screws are recessed in there and would be hard to slot with a dremel. thanks guys

hey Kazuo, there wasnt a problem with using the auto to replace the manual one right? LMK, thanks

kidinthehall
03-15-2004, 05:47 PM
lower the steering column.....4 bolts

ridebmx
03-15-2004, 07:47 PM
alot of the car manufactors use bolts that are meant to break when tight, i cant really explain what they look like, but i usually just drill them to the right size so the 2 pieces will come off, then u can turn the bolts out, and i just replace those PITA bolts that break, with regular bolts. They use these as a soft of antitheft i believe, i can see no other reason for it. but i have seen the bolts. One car we were dismanteling had one of the bolts unbroken, looked funny

INeedNewTires
03-15-2004, 08:26 PM
hey kidinthehall... you've said 2 ways to do it, which is correct? can either way be done? im going to look at it tomorrow so ill know whatsup, but i looked at it last week and didn't see the 4 bolts you speak of on top....

Also, has ANYONE been able to confirm my question on the auto/manual differences if any? this is important because if its a problem then I'm just going to have to leave it. please let me know!

kidinthehall
03-15-2004, 08:30 PM
both the same way....you said you couldnt get a dremel in there and i told you to lower the steering column so you can get to the screws. trust me, just cut a slot in the heads and they will screw right out

kazuo
03-16-2004, 01:32 AM
Dude,

Sorry for not answering you sooner, got buried in PMs and such.

Auto/Manual ignitions are the same. No problems.

Cut a slot into the screws with a dremel. Drop the steering column for easier access.

Good luck!

INeedNewTires
03-16-2004, 04:29 PM
Thanks for all the quick and informative replies guys, really appreciate it! This is why i always go to zilvia first.... Id consider this post closed now though.

thanks again everyone!

Rownan
03-17-2004, 08:42 AM
Actually, the auto cylinder has a park lock that the manual doesn't. It is a cable that connects to the auto shifter and will only allow the key to be released from the tumblers if the connection is in a certain position (gear selector is in park).

Also, the manual cylinder has a button to release the key.