PDA

View Full Version : Honda radiator on sr20det?! too small?? help

Cubantunr
10-11-2012, 06:51 AM
Ok I'm in the process of a midmount setup and room is tight!! Patched up holes for fmic so I am going mid mount, decided to go with the godspeed v mount because its overall size is 25w x 12h and I can fit this perfect without having to remove my s13 hatch headlight motors!! :)
It's capable of 500hp as well which I will be running in the future but only 350hp for now. The core of this intercooler is 18w x 12h so that's about how much room I have for a radiator 18x18in to be exact room for radiator room :/
I've been looking around and cannot find much except custom radiators for 300$+ I found an aluminum Honda 3row radiator 14x16 on ebay, would this suffice? Any of you running small radiators any issues? And not to mention the Honda radiator hose locations are good places. Any info appreciated let me know if you need pics to better understand or if you know were or have a radiator that will fit.

dawagarage
10-11-2012, 07:39 AM
honda radiators are usually smaller because of their engine size, the fact that theyre usually NA, and because honda motors have a very efficient cooling system. you never mentionied what motor youre running. some guys have good experience with 'cheaper' radiators but i feel that if youre planning on making a lot of power, you should strive for reliability and not cheap out on anything.

also, approximately 300 for a 'custom' radiator is pretty cheap, especially in a build aspiring for 500 hp.

Cubantunr
10-11-2012, 07:49 AM
The 500hp will come next summer I just need to break in the new pistons and etc before snowfall sort of speak, I have a 92 s13 redtop Sr20det. I know for sure I might upgrade to a custom one but even then there isn't much of a difference. I'm leaning towards a 3-4 row radiator with single pass. I've heard double pass cools more efficiently but since the slower passing causes heat and too much rows is not good. The Honda radiator I'm looking at is 3row single pass and seems ok for 100$ as opposed to 300$+ radiator which wouldn't be much of a difference maybe a lil bigger and better craftsmanship??

EsChassisLove
10-11-2012, 08:23 AM
You must plan on never racing.

Cubantunr
10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Not with the Honda one but I need something to break in motor before winter as stated above. Has anyone had experience with a smaller radiator on an sr20det???!

dawagarage
10-11-2012, 09:23 AM
I wish I could help you by speaking from experience. If you do decide to run the Honda rad, ensure that you run an aftermarket temp gauge as well (if you're not already doing so) so as to keep a better eye on things.

Also, a lesson on radiators. More cores are not always better. Its the total surface area of the cOres that leads to better cooling. Sometimes a single core has a larger surface area than a dual or triple core, which leads to better cooling. Its pretty difficult to find out total surface area, however, since most manufacturers do not readily provide that information.

Cubantunr
10-11-2012, 09:51 AM
I have the stock temp gauge that's located by intake plenum well see how that does. Guess ill be the first to try this :/ wish me luck.

10-11-2012, 09:59 AM
will work but i would have some really good pulling fan(s)
no need to worry about "break in" thats all done and settled 15-20mins after start-up.

Flicktitty
10-11-2012, 10:10 AM
Personally i would like to see someone try it and be the runt. Figure it's in the same liter/displacement range most popular honda's are. 1.6L-2.4L (Honda) 1.8-2.4 (Nissan) I've seen 500-700WHP Honda's run on those little "half" radiators from Mishimoto/Koyo/Etc. so in theory i would think they would work on a Nissan, Might want to do a good lower temp thermostat. and consider an oilcooler and i bet it would work.

dawagarage
10-11-2012, 10:45 AM
cuban, the stock temp gauge isnt enough. you might not know youre overheating until its too late.

again, honda motors are supposedly have an extremely efficient cooling system, which leads to them having such small radiators but i agree running such high hp on those little rads is impressive.

Cubantunr
10-11-2012, 11:25 AM
Anybody know a good location as opposed for this setup?? And a good brand temp gauge..
I really wouldn't know any other way to make this possible without a major over haul -__-
So its either a ebay 3row Honda radiator 100$
Or an afco 2 row for 250$
AFCO Micro/Mini/Midget Radiator, Down-Flow Front Mount w/ 1 Inch Push On - Speedway Motors, America's Oldest Speed Shop (http://www.speedwaymotors.com/AFCO-Micro-Mini-Midget-Radiator-Down-Flow-Front-Mount-w-1-Inch-Push-On,47172.html)
And yea its very impressive those drag hondas can get away with it, but theyre not driving all day or drifting either :P

dawagarage
10-11-2012, 03:29 PM
you can try to search for a yashio factory temp gauge which would plug into your consult port and get the temp directly from the ecu. it's digital but only reads in Celsius.

or, i would go autometer.

itll be up to you whether you want the aftermarket gauge to be mechanical or electrical.