PDA

View Full Version : Bush's Tax "Breaks"

KA24DESOneThree
03-09-2004, 08:57 PM
The American people were clamoring for it, and we got it... sorta. Bush's tax plan cut our taxes, but then made up for it by raising gas taxes. I pay $2.359 per gallon for premium, and it's not even 93 octane. I hate it when the government gives in to the will of the people (and the campaign promises of a president) and makes the wrong decision. For those people who enjoy driving, life just got a little harder.

Oh, and the gas tax will supposedly take away $20 billion in consumer spending, thus slowing the growth of the economy. W00t.

Just had to whine.

DuffMan
03-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Has there been a federal increase in gas taxes? I dun think so.

ca18guy
03-09-2004, 09:20 PM
I would gladly support raising the gas tax, as long as I see improvements in public transportation. Got a news link for this increase?

KA24DESOneThree
03-09-2004, 09:28 PM
Yes. It is from AOL News, unfortunately... I hope it works. http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040305103109990003

ca18guy- The increase in tax is simply to pick up the slack provided by the tax cuts. Improvements in public transportation will most likely not happen.

240 2NR
03-09-2004, 10:00 PM
Not the reason I would have prefered for increasing gas taxes but this is the first issue by Bush I can stand behind. As much as I love driving, I hate how much I HAVE to drive (or more accurately sit in traffic) and the limited alternatives to it. Everything is increasingly built around the automobile rather than people, leading to suburban sprawl, urban decay (though cities are finally coming back strong), a severe lack of mass transit (see previous) and a place-less-ness throughout the country.

Finally having gas more accurately reflect it's costs is a good thing and technically should (though I doubt it will) lessen the tax burden picked up by other taxes used to support our $200 million a day highway habit in our country. Hopefully this gives further incentive to alternate means of transportation and gives buyers and developers incentive to build in higher more walkable density.

Oh yeah, and fewer SUV's!!!!! :rawk:

nocomedown
03-09-2004, 10:38 PM
Bush's tax plan cut our taxes, but then made up for it by raising gas taxes.
You do realize that all laws (i.e. tax breaks/raises) are started in Congress...i don't think you can call any increase in gas taxes "Bush's tax."
(yes, i know he does sign it into law, but he's not the one who authored the bill)

tsunami0ne
03-09-2004, 11:31 PM
Wow! Destroying Iraq's evil regime has certainly paid off!

airsoft
03-09-2004, 11:34 PM
We can all rollerblade and slide around turns...

Burmonster
03-09-2004, 11:54 PM
Wow! Destroying Iraq's evil regime has certainly paid off!

:blah: you have no idea what you are talking about :blah: :blah: :blah:

TiNMAN
03-10-2004, 12:18 AM
not tryna jack this thread or nothin but hey bush has his own freakin bill now! check it out! http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/bushbill1.html my fault if its a repost, lol. PEACE

WilloW
03-11-2004, 12:23 AM
We can all rollerblade and slide around turns...

I can't wait to transfer so I could just bike my ass to school.

Zenki_S14
03-11-2004, 12:50 AM
I heard they just started talking about building a faster transportation (somewhat like the bullet train in Japan) somewhere in southern California, but the chance of that happening is slim to none. I think it would cost to much. Wouldn't it be nice, though? There would be way less traffic.

plan b
03-11-2004, 06:02 AM
i think the metro rail here in miami works pretty well... its a raised electric monorail transportation system or something to that effect..

theres still a cluster of traffic everywhere in miami, but its a start

Modern Angel
03-12-2004, 11:10 AM
A very interesting read regarding Iraq:
http://www.interventionmag.com/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=668

Burmonster
03-12-2004, 01:58 PM
A very interesting read regarding Iraq:
http://www.interventionmag.com/cms/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=668

That website is horribly one sided...doesnt give you a picture of the situation at all, just show the bad things.

"Last week the most powerful satanic cult in America once again flexed its mighty political muscle in the United States Congress- no, not the Republican Party, but the National Rifle Association."
:hahano:
Now that the worst comment I have ever heard from a political site or magazine EVER.
Nothing on that sight gets any respect from me what so ever.

Modern Angel
03-13-2004, 06:58 AM
That website is horribly one sided...doesnt give you a picture of the situation at all, just show the bad things.

Well, yes, it's terribly one sided... but it is still an interesting read nonetheless. :)

KA24DESOneThree
03-13-2004, 09:55 PM
Please note that I'm not anti-Bush, I'm actually pro-Bush. I have no choice but to blame the man for signing the bill.

tsunami0ne
03-13-2004, 11:56 PM

OK then, we'll just ignore it and look at only the good things. :bite: