PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette receptacle question

rumsawatti
09-25-2012, 06:04 PM
I got a LED clock for my car, however, it has to plug into the cigarette lighter to work. I was wondering if anyone knew how I can use the clock without plugging it into the cigarette lighter? Can I cut the cigarette end adapter and hook it up to a battery? Any help is appreciated, my cigarette lighter does not work. thanks

I was trying to find something on google or youtube that would help me, but I don't even know what to search...

word sux
09-25-2012, 06:31 PM
cut the battery and hook in up to the cigarette lighter

sawzall should work

rumsawatti
09-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Cut the battery? Also, i dont know how to solder...just putting that in there..

hotlavaflow
09-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Cut off the cig lighter adapter. There will be two wires. Power and Ground. Splice the power into a wire that turns on with your ignition and the Ground goes to ground.

Honestly though the fact that your asking makes me a little nervous about you attempting it on your own.

rumsawatti
09-25-2012, 07:15 PM
I tried that already and it didnt work. Is there any other way? How can i get it to work say if its not in the car?

fliprayzin240sx
09-26-2012, 04:41 PM
Well if you're damn plug wasnt working before, did you bother to check if the power wire to it was even getting 12V to begin with? The fuck is the point of trying to wire it in, if the wire is dead?

rybo760
09-26-2012, 05:52 PM
i think he said it didn't work before anyways. Check the fuse for the cig lighter mine was bad and i replaced it and bam it worked. should bring power back to those wires i would assume.

iBlaze240
09-26-2012, 06:52 PM
You don't NEED to use the cig lighter, you can just leave it as it is. Instead find a good consistent power source to splice into for the positive (+), or run a power wire from the battery positive. Then just ground the negative (-) to the chassis anywhere there is a good, paintless connection to sheet metal. If you splice into a good 12V source, you don't absolutely need to solder, although it is recommended for longevity and reliability's sake, but you can just use a regular wire crimp and cut the wire, crimp one end with one wire, and crimp the other end with two wires and you have your splice. I hope that isn't too confusing and I hope I helped a bit.

cdlong
09-27-2012, 07:11 AM
You're assuming the clock works on 12 volts. It's probably 3v or something and has a small transformer in the plug. Either fix your cigarette lighter or buy a clock that fits your needs. Or if you could verify what the clock needs, you could wire it to a couple AAs or something.

Darren
09-27-2012, 07:19 AM
You're assuming the clock works on 12 volts. It's probably 3v or something and has a small transformer in the plug. Either fix your cigarette lighter or buy a clock that fits your needs. Or if you could verify what the clock needs, you could wire it to a couple AAs or something.

It doesn't sound like he actually has the minimal skills to do even that.

OP, i suggest you find someone in your area that can help you, before you burn your car down.

cdlong
09-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I was thinking that too, that's why I suggested buying a different clock. Though, I'm guessing s13, and wondering what's wrong with the one in the instrument panel.

rumsawatti
09-27-2012, 10:03 AM
Yes, thanks for all the help, I will probably end up buying another clock, but I wanted to post up and see what I can learn about the subject and if its possible to be done. Its not for an s13, its for an ae86 and the receptacle doesn't work, but I can probably buy a battery operated clock for temporary. Thanks

DoobieS13
09-27-2012, 06:29 PM
Buy a watch? you have a phone? Grandfath- wait that wont fit.

iBlaze240
09-28-2012, 06:23 AM

Oops yea your right. Didn't think about that. I usually install 12v accessories. Then again, he could just wire in an auxiliary cig lighter the same way I told him and mount it properly. Those go for like 5 bucks at auto stores.

S14DB
09-28-2012, 03:00 PM

My friend had a similar issue installing his satellite radio. I opened up the plug had a little circuit board in it. 12v in, 5v out. Got a small project box and installed it behind the dash.