PDA

View Full Version : Engine oil spill near oil filter after rebuild/ engine install. Help!?

SilviaT
09-18-2012, 11:17 AM
So i just finished installing my recently rebuilt SR20det. Had The whole OEM rebuild kit as well as forged internals and a apexi headgasket.
The car has not ran in over a year! Fyi.. So heres my problem, i go to start my car and it just keeps turning over, but it doesnt fire... I know i'm getting oil pressure, but after trying to start it for the 4th time, i hear oil dripping out of near my oil filter. Maybe its the O Rings behind my oil filter gasket, thats what i'm going to try to clean up today.. Also i plan on using BRAD PENN break in oil since my motor has 0 miles on it. Recommendations? Feedback on oils for new motors?
Would using a little bit of break cleaner/ starting fluid be a good idea to get the car to fire up since its been sitting for so long? Maybe my fuel line is clogged idk.... I appreciate your feedback guys i need some ideas..

jr_ss
09-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Make sure you have the basics (fuel and spark) if you don't have either one, start figuring out why...

SilviaT
09-18-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm getting fuel, obviously oil pressure, and i'm sure i'm getting spark because of brand new NGK's... Maybe i'm having a cold start issue i've seen due to a ORANGE wire that is involved with the ECU..... :( I've read alot about this and i figured after my engine rebuild this issue would be resolved because i had a chip in my 4th pison that lead to a compression loss... Now i'm wondering how the FXCK do i get this thing to fire up like it should!.. Damn

shiftdrift
09-18-2012, 04:09 PM
just because you have brand new ngk's doesn't mean you're getting spark. it could be multiple things, pull a spark plug wire and have someone turn the car over and hold it to the valve cover, if it arcs to the cover, you're getting spark

jr_ss
09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
Just because you have "brand me spark plugs" doesnt mean you're getting spark. Pull the plug, keep it attached to the coil and ground it on the intake manifold. No spark means you have searching to do, spark means you need to check other areas...

You need to find out where your oil is coming from rather than letting your motor fire up with it pissing everywhere.

Edit- Haha, touché shiftdrift...

SilviaT
09-18-2012, 04:10 PM
just because you have brand new ngk's doesn't mean you're getting spark. it could be multiple things, pull a spark plug wire and have someone turn the car over and hold it to the valve cover, if it arcs to the cover, you're getting spark

Word man i'll try that soon. I'm kinda a rookie but this is how learning works!

SilviaT
09-18-2012, 05:26 PM
Just because you have "brand me spark plugs" doesnt mean you're getting spark. Pull the plug, keep it attached to the coil and ground it on the intake manifold. No spark means you have searching to do, spark means you need to check other areas...

You need to find out where your oil is coming from rather than letting your motor fire up with it pissing everywhere.

Edit- Haha, touché shiftdrift...

Yeah i'm taking apart the intake manifold tomorrow morning and cleaning it up as i put it back together. i'm almost positive that its from the 0-ring behind the oil filter seal.. Ill get back to this after i re-seal it up.

SilviaT
09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Alllright so i THOUGHT i had the wrong size oil filter on after i bought a 93 Sentra SR20de oil filter and it was much smaller in diameter, so i figured that my oil filter was the wrong size and thats why i blew out so much oil... The filter seat had a very tight seal that i couldnt see any oil leak... I put in Brad Penn break in oil 30wtt, hooked everything back up. After that i resolved my cold start issue FINALLY. I replaced the starter signal fuse in my fuse box that was missing the 10amp.
So i put my battery in, and turned the key.... She started up within the first 2 seconds..
BUT my idle went up to about 3,000rpm's right away so i shut if off ( after i shut off, i saw a vacuum hose on top left was not plugged in [yeah i feel stupid]) and i spilled about a quart of oil under my intake manifold, NEAR my oil filter to the left...
I need to fix my vacuum hose set up which i understand clearly now.
BUT WHERE COULD THE OIL HAVE CAME OUT OF? I will set up my vacuum lines correctly next, but i need to find this leak desperetly......
Anybody have any ideas?

SilviaT
09-19-2012, 10:29 PM
Top left nipple near throttle body was tee'd for my FPR, and bov. Which is obviously wrong. The top right nipple was capped IDK why. And bottom one was open.
SORRY IM NOT PERFECT i'm figuring all of this out by myself.
I will fix these vacuum issues when i get a little time to work on my car SOON.
BOV goes by itself to the top left nipple, and FPR goes to its own top right nipple also i've read. Correct?

jr_ss
09-20-2012, 04:30 AM
You don't have oil coming out of a vacuum hose. Most likely, that's an oil feed line for your turbo. Post up pictures so people know what you are referring too.

blksylv
09-20-2012, 06:31 AM
if its near the oil filter it could be the oil pressure switch. i have a leak from there on mines as well. the switch is plastic and over time will start to leak. you just have to replace it

future
09-20-2012, 09:39 AM
I loled at the " I have oil pressure but car won't start"

That has nothing to do with the car starting.

But good shit in getting her started

SilviaT
09-20-2012, 02:04 PM
You don't have oil coming out of a vacuum hose. Most likely, that's an oil feed line for your turbo. Post up pictures so people know what you are referring too.

Yeah i know i dont have it coming out of a vacuum hose.. I just didnt have the arranged correctly but i can fix that easy..
Its on the intake side of the engine (passanger) on the block. All i saw is when i started it up is a puddle of oil as soon as it ran, and i turned it off...
I cant clearly see where its leaking out of but i will check the oil lines. I know there is one connected to my turbo. Its on the left side of the headers is where it connects from the block, to the upper side of my turbo, right?
But since the leak is on the intake manifold side of the block, where could it be draining from? :wtf:

SilviaT
09-20-2012, 03:17 PM
http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x292/TylerM971/photo_zps32d5d2c1.png

There is oil all over the passanger side of the engine.. Not the oil filter or bracket i'm 99% sure. Oil filter fits snug. Bracket is snug and no leak from there. There is obviously a problem with a hose somewhere and i cannot find it....

SilviaT
09-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Oil pressure sending unit...

jr_ss
09-22-2012, 07:06 AM
Have someone start it and watch for the leak...

SilviaT
09-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Will do. I'm sure that was the oil leak. Now all i'm concerned about is my vacuum hose setup! When i turned it on the first time, my idle went straight from 0 to 3.5k/4,000rpms.
My top left nipple on my TB was unplugged cause im an idiot and i didnt plug it in.
Now i plugged it in, but i am researching correct vacuum hose diagram setups!
Does anybody have a easy to read diagram of how the vacuum hoses setup should be from the throttle body?!

o____O <--- Nipples
/ \
| O | <--- throttle body
\__/
o <----nipple...

Where do these tits correctly connect to??
I have a Fuel pressure guage in the engine bay that's T'd. And one going to my BOV.
Pretty much all i'm asking for is a nice diagram so i can confidently connect these.
Just need a little bit of help please dont spam me..
BTW thats why my idle was crazy high right? Cause the top left was open?

kennedy8383
09-24-2012, 08:25 PM
CHeck here for the vacum diagram..

Searched for hours, still need help: Vacuum Line Layout for an S13 KA24DE : Nissan Online Mechanic (http://forums.nicoclub.com/searched-for-hours-still-need-help-vacuum-line-layout-for-an-s13-ka24de-t447844.html)