PDA

View Full Version : Wheel decisions...

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 08:53 AM
I am just super conflicted on some wheel stuff right now and wanted some good input. The only thing I truly know right now is that I want Gold w a chrome lip and want 5 spoke rims.

I am debating on size, brand, etc... What do you guys think? And also where do you think is the best place for rims, I have been looking everywhere, but if there are some guaranteed better sites than others, Id like to know about em (im a bit new to the nissan set).

My car will mostly be street, w maybe next year some occasional track visits on some weekends.

Thanks for any input guys. I love this site so far!

dawagarage
09-17-2012, 09:38 AM
choose your own path

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 09:46 AM
choose your own path

......................... haha that wasn't too helpful there...

chuki.s13.coupe.
09-17-2012, 09:50 AM
google xxr..

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 09:56 AM
google xxr..

I like the way they look, where would you recommend actually buying from?

DJDANGER24
09-17-2012, 10:07 AM
Budget will dictate your Brand and Size, figure out your budget first.

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 11:18 AM
Budget will dictate your Brand and Size, figure out your budget first.

I wont be buying right away, so I am thinkin Ill save up somewhere in the 1k-1300 area... nothing insane.

jr_ss
09-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Spend more time searching this site and the wheel threads, something will peak your interest. No one here knows what you want and/or can afford and its your car/money, use your imagination. There was no need for this thread...

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Spend more time searching this site and the wheel threads, something will peak your interest. No one here knows what you want and/or can afford and its your car/money, use your imagination. There was no need for this thread...

There is a need. I would like to know good places to buy, would like to know if some brands have a bad reputation where as others have really good ones, or if anyone has had personal experiences with them... etc. As said in my original post... I stated my budget area, the style/color I am going for... I dont see the issue...

Eramo323
09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
is that including tires ?

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 01:44 PM
is that including tires ?

I would like it to, but I realize that can be a low budget. so maybe 1k-1200 w.o tires and maybe 1500 or so w tires. unless you guys know a really affordable good rep company that can get rims/tires for 1200-1300

zooopreme
09-17-2012, 01:52 PM
With that budget, you can get yourself a good used set of reputable wheels (possibly with tires).

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 06:35 PM
With that budget, you can get yourself a good used set of reputable wheels (possibly with tires).

any particular brands that people think highly of? just curious

DJDANGER24
09-17-2012, 06:58 PM
any particular brands that people think highly of? just curious

Holy fucking shit dude, you want someone to wipe your ass too? Browse to forum fpr a day, browse for sale section, wheel fitment thread, etc etc. Make up your own mind, who cares what other people think highly of.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Holy fucking shit dude, you want someone to wipe your ass too? Browse to forum fpr a day, browse for sale section, wheel fitment thread, etc etc. Make up your own mind, who cares what other people think highly of.

I meant think highly as in have a good rep for quality.

holy fucking shit d00d... haha. whyusomad

fliprayzin240sx
09-17-2012, 10:03 PM
Cuz you're 23 yrs old but you cant figure this shit out yourself? Why dont you check around in the vendor section and see what they're slanging. Do a bit of research on what's legit and which companies are knock off. For around $1200, most new rims you'd find are knock offs. Cheapest legit rims out there are Enkei or 5-zigen.

DJDANGER24
09-18-2012, 12:17 AM
I meant think highly as in have a good rep for quality.

holy fucking shit d00d... haha. whyusomad

Whyusodumb haha

NoPistons!
09-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Work, weds, ssr, bbs, fabulous, ABC, rays, volk, gramlights, advan....that's what i think about when people bring up quality wheels and on your budget, used or pairs at a time is what you might be looking at and there is NO SHAME in buying one wheel at a time if that's all you can afford. I see work vskf's pop up on ebay alot from $1200-1600 in lower offsets. And if you want bigger lips you can upsize from anywhere from $225-350 per wheel. There are companies that can gold chrome anything under the sun for you. Nickel plating is hot too! Check the f/s section and see what you can find in your price range and DO NOT SETTLE for anything less than what you want even if it is xxr/rota. To each their own....

jr_ss
09-18-2012, 05:11 AM
http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2010/3/1/129119692789479833.jpg

claytoncallihan
09-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Work, weds, ssr, bbs, fabulous, ABC, rays, volk, gramlights, advan....that's what i think about when people bring up quality wheels and on your budget, used or pairs at a time is what you might be looking at and there is NO SHAME in buying one wheel at a time if that's all you can afford. I see work vskf's pop up on ebay alot from $1200-1600 in lower offsets. And if you want bigger lips you can upsize from anywhere from $225-350 per wheel. There are companies that can gold chrome anything under the sun for you. Nickel plating is hot too! Check the f/s section and see what you can find in your price range and DO NOT SETTLE for anything less than what you want even if it is xxr/rota. To each their own....

Ahhh finally a respectable reply with some good information! Was beginning to think most of the people here were just on here to troll/flame haha. Thank you very much sir. Ive been looking around and reading some, but I always like to get some personal replies with information, especially since im extremely new to the 240 scene. my other car is a ls1 trans am, two different worlds for sure haha. Again, thank you VERY MUCH!!! :D

iamtheyi
09-18-2012, 10:12 AM
fuck new guys into the s-chassis scene like this guy. tards can't even think for themselves.

MadScientist
09-18-2012, 10:41 AM
So what style do you like?

Old Classics
Mesh
Even/Odd spoke count like 5,6,7~10,12,etc... spokes...
Concave or Flat face
Step Lip or Barrel
Fat or Skinny Spokes

The list goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on... now put your big boy pants on and SEARCH!!!

claytoncallihan
09-18-2012, 10:47 AM
fuck new guys into the s-chassis scene like this guy. tards can't even think for themselves.

you do realize that EVERYONE who has EVER owned a car was new to it at some point right? :picardfp:

So what style do you like?

Old Classics
Mesh
Even/Odd spoke count like 5,6,7~10,12,etc... spokes...
Concave or Flat face
Step Lip or Barrel
Fat or Skinny Spokes

The list goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on, and on... now put your big boy pants on and SEARCH!!!

The things you asked were stated already. :squint:

I wasnt aware forums were for people who already knew absolutely everything to come to and not post seeking information, weird...
I already got some really good info from someone willing to help out. thanks anyway guys.

Edit: also, I love all rwd cars, i just do. I dont hate cars over another if theyre fun and rwd. But holy crap you can really tell the difference from the muscle scene (my usual) to this scene. Muscle car guys are always helpful to each other, patient, friendly and just downright awesome. I had no idea the 240 scene would be like this. hahaha. hopefully this is just a bad first impression.

jr_ss
09-18-2012, 11:54 AM
Its because there are a lot of young kids or lazy people that want shit handed to them rather than doing some leg work themselves... The same shit gets asked ten thousand times instead of a quick simple search to find items that they might like or want.

Your original post was extremely vague and didn't hint at anything but "gold" wheels. No budget was posted, no sizes or offsets and you expect others to be able to help you with what you want, when you don't even know yourself...

Next time, do some research, then make a more a specific post.

claytoncallihan
09-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Its because there are a lot of young kids or lazy people that want shit handed to them rather than doing some leg work themselves... The same shit gets asked ten thousand times instead of a quick simple search to find items that they might like or want.

Your original post was extremely vague and didn't hint at anything but "gold" wheels. No budget was posted, no sizes or offsets and you expect others to be able to help you with what you want, when you don't even know yourself...

Next time, do some research, then make a more a specific post.

I actually did search for wheel threads on the forums didnt find much that helped me see how diff sizes and offsets looked on peoples rides and such. So I posted. Trust me I'm not "lazy" nor just a kid. Everything Ive done to this s13 so far I did on jack stands with my bare hands and ive never even owned a nissan but by researching EVERYTHING before i did it just to be safe. Ive put in another steering rack, did tie rod work, new seat, valve cover gasket, coilovers, wheel studs, and some other minor work to it so far without paying a shop a dime and using pretty normal tools. I hate having people do work for me (whether cars or anything else) so I am sorry if I ever came off that way, trust me Im not. I just like to really really ask a lot of questions and triple look at everything before making any moves especially with purchasing things.

so again, sorry you got that impression.

S13Vinny
09-18-2012, 12:14 PM
xxr 962
xxr522
rpf-1's
rota grids

DJDANGER24
09-18-2012, 12:22 PM
you do realize that EVERYONE who has EVER owned a car was new to it at some point right? :picardfp:

I wasnt aware forums were for people who already knew absolutely everything to come to and not post seeking information, weird...
I already got some really good info from someone willing to help out. thanks anyway guys.

Edit: also, I love all rwd cars, i just do. I dont hate cars over another if theyre fun and rwd. But holy crap you can really tell the difference from the muscle scene (my usual) to this scene. Muscle car guys are always helpful to each other, patient, friendly and just downright awesome. I had no idea the 240 scene would be like this. hahaha. hopefully this is just a bad first impression.
Now that you know EVERYONE who has EVER owned a car was new to it as some point, don't you think your questions would be covered a million times elsewhere? Even if you're new to this "scene" you should know how to navigate and search a forum by now.

Now, I didn't do a search for threads but I simply clicked on a link to navigate through the forum and found these, right off the bat. Now tell me how you "searched"? Now go find your favorite wheel and buy its knockoff to "fit in" the "scene."

Sorry we didn't welcome you with open arms, cookies and milk. This is the internet bro, shit just got real!!!

:snoop:

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/166563-maximum-tire-rubber-fitment-thread.html

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/129865-wheel-fitment-whore-thread-stretch-flush-no-specs-no-post.html

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/384504-tucked-rim-fitment-thread.html

claytoncallihan
09-18-2012, 12:34 PM
Now that you know EVERYONE who has EVER owned a car was new to it as some point, don't you think your questions would be covered a million times elsewhere? Even if you're new to this "scene" you should know how to navigate and search a forum by now.

Now, I didn't do a search for threads but I simply clicked on a link to navigate through the forum and found these, right off the bat. Now tell me how you "searched"? Now go find your favorite wheel and buy its knockoff to "fit in" the "scene."

Sorry we didn't welcome you with open arms, cookies and milk. This is the internet bro, shit just got real!!!

:snoop:

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/166563-maximum-tire-rubber-fitment-thread.html

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/129865-wheel-fitment-whore-thread-stretch-flush-no-specs-no-post.html

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/384504-tucked-rim-fitment-thread.html

I actually did search but I didnt find that first thread. That's a pretty good one. Appreciate that. :)

and nobody asked for cookies and milk, but a little less hostility never hurt anyone.

So far Ive gotten some good info from this thread, and again thank you all :)

DJDANGER24
09-18-2012, 10:28 PM
Say no to knockoffs

s14zenki21
09-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm getting the XXR 526 series, 17x10. nice wheels with 3inch lip :).

Asil
09-20-2012, 02:01 AM
I think it's not fair acting in this manner. He has already mentioned he is a newbie on 240SX like me. You can get older but you can not know everything. You can even learn how to use a forum when you are 30 if you havent done before.
I have owned other sport rwd cars but each brand (chassis) and each engine has it's own specs. You can be an expert on another car but newbie on an SX. So, rather than acting like humiliating you can act like a "teacher".

I am also doing many searches for the right rim choice. Have found many info so far but not feeling safe yet :) Finally, you can build this topic as a good source for the ones who looks for the right rim style, size etc. Or you can use this topic for humiliating newbies ;)

hypercrush
09-20-2012, 03:59 AM
look at VRwheels.com for good used stuff. have bought from them before so i can say that they are reputable (in my experience of course). also BG at Enjukuracing.com or Vitaly at AceUpmotorsports.com are excellent sales people and have tons of experience both driving and building cars, they will be able to help with questions you may have.

that being said i recommend you save images of cars you like the look of in the threads others have posted for you. use that to start narrowing down what you like or dont like, google the shit out of the wheel in question and know all you can, be an informed consumer and you'll be satisfied. wheels make a car, dont let anyone decide for you. hope thats helpful or something.

claytoncallihan
09-20-2012, 12:12 PM
look at VRwheels.com for good used stuff. have bought from them before so i can say that they are reputable (in my experience of course). also BG at Enjukuracing.com or Vitaly at AceUpmotorsports.com are excellent sales people and have tons of experience both driving and building cars, they will be able to help with questions you may have.

that being said i recommend you save images of cars you like the look of in the threads others have posted for you. use that to start narrowing down what you like or dont like, google the shit out of the wheel in question and know all you can, be an informed consumer and you'll be satisfied. wheels make a car, dont let anyone decide for you. hope thats helpful or something.

I think it's not fair acting in this manner. He has already mentioned he is a newbie on 240SX like me. You can get older but you can not know everything. You can even learn how to use a forum when you are 30 if you havent done before.
I have owned other sport rwd cars but each brand (chassis) and each engine has it's own specs. You can be an expert on another car but newbie on an SX. So, rather than acting like humiliating you can act like a "teacher".

I am also doing many searches for the right rim choice. Have found many info so far but not feeling safe yet :) Finally, you can build this topic as a good source for the ones who looks for the right rim style, size etc. Or you can use this topic for humiliating newbies ;)

Thank you to both of you. :)

Asil
09-20-2012, 03:42 PM
Concave look rocks. More concave at the rears. My favourite is TE37 and Xxr 527's
What are your favourite brands for concave look? Dont like extremely concaves...

KiLLeR2001
09-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Man... XXR has to be making a killing. Anytime there's a wheel discussion 20 different people mention that shit.