PDA

View Full Version : Weird vibration at specific speed?

claytoncallihan
09-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Okay so I was wondering if anyone has experienced an issue similar to mine. The issue is not major, and the vibration that I am referring to is not extreme in any way, just annoying.

So basically, any time my car gets between 18-22 mph (roughly) the car has a slight vibration. its noticeable for sure. its not so bad im scared but it goes from pretty damn smooth to shaking a bit. It doesnt matter if im rolling in nuetral, accelerating, or braking... if im traveling at that speed, its there... very strange and im wondering if maybe its DIFF related??? I also experience a diff shaking at 56-62mph range. This is more of a steering wheel shake as well (im thinking maybe I just need another alignment or something, but its weird to be only at such a specific speed).

any thoughts?? Thanks guys. :)

edit: also - referring to 90 s13 hatch

MadScientist
09-16-2012, 08:50 PM
have you modified the brakes, or driveshaft?
Have you had your wheels checked if they are warped.

If its Rotors it will only do it under braking.
If its DS it will not transfer to the steering wheel.
Wheels however will do it at different speeds, and will cause other parts to fail faster, like bushings. Which will also make fixing the problem harder, and more expensive, the longer you wait.

Memberofthe600hpkaclub
09-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Check your tension rods sir...

future
09-16-2012, 09:47 PM
It's called balance your tires. Dynamically, no just static

claytoncallihan
09-16-2012, 09:56 PM
have you modified the brakes, or driveshaft?
Have you had your wheels checked if they are warped.

If its Rotors it will only do it under braking.
If its DS it will not transfer to the steering wheel.
Wheels however will do it at different speeds, and will cause other parts to fail faster, like bushings. Which will also make fixing the problem harder, and more expensive, the longer you wait.

Havent modified brakes or messed w drive shaft.Wheels are all balanced on the rims and dont seem to have any issues. just had these tires put on a couple months back so i dont think its wheel based. hmmmm

Check your tension rods sir...

That I will look into sir. Thank you

oni jake
09-16-2012, 10:26 PM
I'm willing to bet you never balanced your tires.

Also, a fucked up alignment doesn't cause your steering wheel to shake.

MadScientist
09-16-2012, 11:31 PM
OK... most wheel guys will not tell you that your wheels are warped when doing a balance which also doesn't fix the issue.
The wheels can be balanced and still be warped. Alignment also doesn't fix it.

I had warped wheels for years and took it in to several shops, and finnaly someone worth a shit told me what it was. I am not saying this is your issue, but it sounds really familiar only because you have vibration at 2 different speeds!!

claytoncallihan
09-17-2012, 07:05 AM
OK... most wheel guys will not tell you that your wheels are warped when doing a balance which also doesn't fix the issue.
The wheels can be balanced and still be warped. Alignment also doesn't fix it.

I had warped wheels for years and took it in to several shops, and finnaly someone worth a shit told me what it was. I am not saying this is your issue, but it sounds really familiar only because you have vibration at 2 different speeds!!

Well in that case I might as well just wait it out because my next big move is all new wheels so Ill be doing that in a month or 2. Ill also be doing the rest of the suspension (ive done coilovers recently)

Atill93
09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
I've been experiencing a vibration too at similar speeds. I mostly notice it when im cruising through my neighborhood (at speeds of 15-25mph). I saw another thread a few weeks ago that suggested it might be the driveshaft. I have the stock 15 x 6 wheels and I got a full alignment a few weeks ago and it didnt fix the vibration.

claytoncallihan
09-18-2012, 09:20 AM
I've been experiencing a vibration too at similar speeds. I mostly notice it when im cruising through my neighborhood (at speeds of 15-25mph). I saw another thread a few weeks ago that suggested it might be the driveshaft. I have the stock 15 x 6 wheels and I got a full alignment a few weeks ago and it didnt fix the vibration.

Hmmm. Have you experimented w the drive shaft any yet?

GoodieGarageLA
09-24-2012, 02:38 PM
same thing happens to my 89 coupe but the shakes only happen at 35-45, the shake is less noticeable if i short shift tho' not sure if you guys do that to

godsmack
09-24-2012, 05:42 PM
could also possibly be the tires. i've had problems with tires and a belt or 2 splitting from factory and causing vibration. easiest way to check is to rotate your rims. but it's not going to 100% rule it out if it's still there could have more than one bad tire.

Butcher240sx
09-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Cyclic vibration at different speeds is usually bad tire balance. Get them re balanced and rotated. I usually do mine every two oil changes. I feel a difference every time I do. I also have one wheel bent to shit so the problem gets worse as the tire wears.