PDA

View Full Version : New Apple Products Announced! 2013 - Update *iPhone 5S/C

enkei2k
09-12-2012, 06:43 PM
Apple announces iPhone 5, new iPods - GadgetBox on NBCNews.com (http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/gadgetbox/apple-announces-iphone-5-new-ipods-994043)

Made from aluminum and glass, at 112 grams, it's 20 percent lighter than the iPhone 4S. Thinner too: at 7.6mm it's 18 percent thinner. As the rumors suggested, it looks like a taller version of the iPhone 4S.

You can pre-order the iPhone 5 on Sept. 14. On Sept. 21, it will be available. The iPhone 5 price is same as the old 4S, so in the U.S., $199 to $399, depending on the memory. The iPhone 4 8GB is now free with contract, and the 4S is $99.

The screen is more saturated, and the sensors in it are integrated right into the screen, for better viewing. Older apps run at the same size as they did in the previous iPhone, centered in place.

There's a brand new chip: the Apple A6 chip. Twice as fast in CPU and graphics performance. You get 1.5 to 2 times better performances launching Pages, saving images in iPhoto, and loading music.

Battery life is better than the iPhone 4S, says Schiller. You can expect 8 hours of 3G talk and browsing; 8 hours LTE browsing; 10 hours of Wi-Fi browsing and 10 hours of video. There will be 225 hours of standby. How many days is that? 9 and change?

The camera is similar in specs to the 4S — 8 megapixel, f/2.4 aperture — but made it smaller, and leveraged the processor to jack up the performance. There's a Panorama app that smart-stitches together beautiful, huge pictures.

and most importantly:

Apple is ditching the 30-pin connector introduced in 2003. The new connector is the Lightning, an all-digital "8-signal" design. It's way more durable, and 80 percent smaller. There will be a 30-pin-to-Lightning adapter available, so you don't have to ditch your old car charger.

Who will be picking one up? I'm on the fence about it. I don't really want to go Apple just because everybody has one and it doesn't really do much for me.

RJF
09-12-2012, 07:16 PM
I'll probably get one, since I skipped the upgrade to the 4S and I'm eligible on my contract.

word sux
09-12-2012, 07:16 PM
so I am guessing they mean september 2013 correct

turbo98
09-12-2012, 07:24 PM
NO, as in 2 weeks.

word sux
09-12-2012, 07:34 PM
sweet I am due for an upgrade in november I will scoop this up then after the initial rush has died down

tricky_ab
09-12-2012, 07:42 PM
I'll be picking up a iPhone 5 for sure...I'm just not in a huge rush to grab one...

atom
09-12-2012, 08:01 PM
Gonna wait till some reviews come out about the sound quality then I might get one. I carry way too much crap. Laptop, android tablet, android smartphone, and a DAP. I want to slim it down to a windows 8 tablet, smartphone, and a general media player so i don't drain battery on the phone. So depending on how the SQ is on the new ipod either

Android Phone / Ipod

or

Iphone 5 / Sony Walkman F

roboticnissan
09-12-2012, 08:05 PM
I just heard on the news, theyre barely different, no serious upgrades to anything besides the gorilla glass and slightly larger. Also it costs apple 8$ to make each phone!!!!! Wtf!!! All tho im sure android phonea are made just as cheap.

ZenkiKid
09-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Going to definitely pre order one this friday.

tqstarburst
09-12-2012, 10:26 PM
No major upgrades so i'll just stick to my 4s.

Samsung still has the best phone out there with the galaxy imo.

ZenkiKid
09-13-2012, 07:22 AM

True. If you have a 4S after IOS6 it will basically be the same phone. 4s gets almost all of the new features that the 5 will have.

enkei2k
09-13-2012, 09:28 AM
I just heard on the news, theyre barely different, no serious upgrades to anything besides the gorilla glass and slightly larger. Also it costs apple 8$ to make each phone!!!!! Wtf!!! All tho im sure android phonea are made just as cheap.

Samsung still has the best phone out there with the galaxy imo.

True. If you have a 4S after IOS6 it will basically be the same phone. 4s gets almost all of the new features that the 5 will have.

So the new A6 chip doesn't count as a major upgrade to you all? Just curious. The only thing stopping me is Verizon. I'm grandfathered into their unlimited data plan for $30 a month and even though I'm for certain 2 GB is more than enough for me (since I turn on Wi-Fi at home), I don't want to give up the unlimited-ness. Their new share everything plan is ridiculous and is a losing situation for me and there is no way I'm paying full retail to keep my unlimited data because I've heard slight rumors that even though I still have the unlimited data, they will be killing it off regardless if I'm grandfathered in.

240drifter1
09-13-2012, 09:56 AM
I have verizon right now with my 4S, and the 2gb per month thing is complete bullshit for $30 a month, I use wifi at home and work all the time and still use that shit by half the planning period.

Ill pick up a 5 when the rush dies down for them, and if there not much bigger then the 4, I hate big bulky phones and i hope there not much taller.

jamescarter
09-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Apple dropped the ball on this one! The new iphone, same as the old iphone.

LEG1T
09-13-2012, 10:23 AM
DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

There is not really anything new here with the Iphone 5...

If you have a 4S I cant see why you would want this..

Its nice look and all, but where is the WOW?

240sxdriftin
09-13-2012, 10:36 AM
^^ are you kidding me................

dragonbreath
09-13-2012, 10:59 AM
I dont do anything but surf the internet on my 4s and it does it well for me. I have never understood everyones rush to get the next best thing. Most of those people are satisfied with what they have however they think they need the next phone. There is nothing that this phone has that drives me to want it. When the 4s came out I still had the 3g. So the performance difference was HUGE. I actually enjoyed the difference as the 3g was so slow it couldnt even run the fb app. However my 4s does everything I need it to. Maybe when technology catches up and makes my 4s run slow as molasses Ill upgrade lol.

Okinawandrifter87
09-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Def picking up mine but waiting till Oct 13th for when my contract is up for complete renewal.. the only thing that has me kinda iffy is the same thing that Vince is in.. I don't want to give up my grandfathered in unlimited data plan. Most likely I will still go with it anyway. You all can say your not hyped but everyone has their own opinion. I personally am hyped as I skipped the 4s and have not just hopped on the "apple bandwagon" as I have been an Apple user for a while now.

daftphunk
09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
Picking this phone up for sure. I have an iPhone 4 and have an upgrade, so it's a no brainer. Thing is, I am also Grandfathered in to AT&T's Unlimited Data plan. This month, with 10 days left in the billing cycle I have used 1.5 Gigs of data, but there are months when I have used up to 3 gigs of data... and $30 for 2 Gigs doesn't seem appealing. The share everything, unlimited plan, if I am not mistaken, looks to be a good deal better but isn't available for the iPhone or something.

Just curious though, to everybody who says it's not a huge improvement... what were you all expecting? When the phone is already so good, there's little you can do to improve it. What game changing features were you looking for in this phone? Perhaps if you have a 4S there is less interest in upgrading to the 5 but you get a slimmer phone, a larger screen, a faster phone at that, and an amazing battery life @ 8 hrs 3G talk time, 8 hrs LTE browsing, etc.

Sure, Wireless syncing would be great I suppose. But the data transfer via cable will always be faster. Do I need wireless charging? No. Obviously the biggest competitor for the iPhone 5 will be Samsung's Galaxy S3, and while I do agree that it is a nice phone and it has some features that the iPhone 5 does not have... are those features necessary? Am I going to want to tap phone backs with people to send pics? Etc. etc.

Just curious. I enjoy iOS over Android and that's just my preference. I haven't used an Android phone in forever and I am sure they have gotten better over the years, but playing with the Galaxy S3 doesn't do anything for me that playing with an iPhone 4S doesn't.

TheWolf
09-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Sure, Wireless syncing would be great I suppose. .

That's already been implemented. Got it on mine.

I'll be getting one as well. Due for upgrade unless AT&T wants to deepsix my unlimited.

SimpleS14
09-13-2012, 02:22 PM
So the new A6 chip doesn't count as a major upgrade to you all? Just curious.

Technically, yes. In overall user experience, barely. This is because the new CPU is not taking advantage of any significant s/w enhancements or improvements to the user experience that's unavailable on the 4S. This is all just IMO.

S14DB
09-13-2012, 02:58 PM
I really wished they would have differentiated what was an iOS6 feature vs iPhone5. But, they are trying to sell the phone.
iPhone 5 vs. iPhone 4S: what's changed? -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/12/iphone-5-whats-changed/)

ZenkiKid
09-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Picking this phone up for sure. I have an iPhone 4 and have an upgrade, so it's a no brainer.

I am in the same boat as this guy. I only have a regular 4 but it is still pretty damn fast after all the daemon hacks I did to the phone.

g_mac530
09-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Im leaning toward a 5. But then again I still have an OG 3g. Yes, you read that right, a 3g not even a 3gs.

godrifttoday
09-13-2012, 09:42 PM
* Repost *

colombianbryan
09-13-2012, 09:57 PM
I called my local sprint store on wednesday to see if they were taking pre orders on friday and they actually started that day to write the down and putting them in the system i guess friday. Luckily im number 11 on the list so guess im getting it lol

reallygood101
09-13-2012, 11:24 PM
I called my local sprint store on wednesday to see if they were taking pre orders on friday and they actually started that day to write the down and putting them in the system i guess friday. Luckily im number 11 on the list so guess im getting it lol

lucky!!! i called my sprint and the guy said i had to wait til friday which ill b waiting til 2am to place my pre order online either on sprint or apples website, but i guess ill b gettin one since my blackberry bold is taking a crap on me, but im gonna hate the touch screen since im used to the keypad on the BB

yokotas13
09-14-2012, 02:50 AM
im getting a nano

but i am surprised they didnt put a camera in the nano. bluetooth is the plus though finally

ALTRNTV
09-14-2012, 03:33 AM
I just pre-ordered a white 16gb iPhone 5. A friend is buying my 4s for $350.. so I'm pocketing around $100 for upgrading... win.

yokotas13
09-14-2012, 04:51 AM
you arent pocketing shit because you are spending what.....1300 a year on a phone?

ZenkiKid
09-14-2012, 07:19 AM
you arent pocketing shit because you are spending what.....1300 a year on a phone?

zziiiiinnnng!!!

kandyflip445
09-14-2012, 09:13 AM

If he buys it on contract then the phone is $199 for the 16GB. Depending on what company he's with there is also a $30-36 upgrade fee that he has to pay. So he really does pocket around $100. If he has an upgrade.

yokotas13
09-14-2012, 09:52 AM
you are missing the point.

he isnt pocketing 100 bucks. its just going to pay the stupidly expensive bill.

im glad im on prepaid fuck that expensive ass bill. 45 bucks a month is my bill for unlimited data and a few hundred minutes

kandyflip445
09-14-2012, 11:09 AM
Oh I'm not missing your point but everyone has different needs. You trade some coverage in some areas for your prepaid plan and that may not work for him. Or he may have other reasons. It's still a bill he would have to pay otherwise. If he was going to stay on the same plan and get a new phone when he was allowed and his monthly bill stays the same while getting a new phone then he is pocketing $100 over what his normal monthly costs are.

daftphunk
09-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Lol I pay $70 a month for my iPhone plan, sharing 550 minutes, unlimited text and data.

Anyways preordered my iPhone 5, selling my iPhone 4 for $300 so paying $30 out of pocket for the new one

Edit: and he is pocketing $100. He is going to pay the same for his phone bill regardless of upgrading or not.

Future240
09-14-2012, 05:00 PM
I'll probably get one, since I skipped the upgrade to the 4S and I'm eligible on my contract.

I tried to do this but my 3GS died on me(out of warranty) so I didn't have a choice. I guess I'll have to wait until the 5S next year.

Edit: what's with this talk of the grandfathered data plan getting nixed? I kept my when I went to 4S. If when I get the 5S and I have to get rid of my data pla. I will be pissed. I burn though about 2.9 gigs a month and that is with wifi at the crib.

Edit 2:
AT&T ftw
http://m.bgr.com/2012/09/12/att-iphone-5-grandfathered-unlimited-data-plans-confirme/

Sorry Verizon users
http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/09/verizon-iphone-5-4g-lte-unlimited-data-plan.html

daftphunk
09-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Yeah there was speculation that the grandfathered data plan was gonna get cut due to LTE conversion but AT&T is letting users keep it. Makes me happy.

yokotas13
09-14-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh I'm not missing your point but everyone has different needs. You trade some coverage in some areas for your prepaid plan and that may not work for him. Or he may have other reasons. It's still a bill he would have to pay otherwise. If he was going to stay on the same plan and get a new phone when he was allowed and his monthly bill stays the same while getting a new phone then he is pocketing $100 over what his normal monthly costs are.
no you dont.
prepaid networks use the same networks you do.
List of United States mobile virtual network operators - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_virtual_network_opera tors)

and what did he pay for his first iphone that he is now selling?

kandyflip445
09-14-2012, 07:34 PM
You do. Prepaid phones don't have roaming agreements for the most part so you don't get as good as coverage. Like in my area Sprint doesn't do well at all. Sprint customers for the most part are fine because they have roaming agreements here. But with Boost or Virgin Mobile you get crap for service because they ONLY use Sprint towers.

EDIT: Before someone tries to pull it out from that list. Places like Net10 that list multiple carriers it depends on the phone. One phone can work on At&t and another on a different carrier.

treken2t87
09-14-2012, 08:53 PM
Lol I pay $70 a month for my iPhone plan, sharing 550 minutes, unlimited text and data.

Anyways preordered my iPhone 5, selling my iPhone 4 for $300 so paying $30 out of pocket for the new one

Edit: and he is pocketing $100. He is going to pay the same for his phone bill regardless of upgrading or not.
Where can you sell an iPhone 4 for $300? I'd love to know :)

TougeLove
09-14-2012, 08:56 PM
Sorry Verizon users
Verizon: You Can Keep Unlimited Data Plans With iPhone 5 By Paying Full Price (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2012/09/verizon-iphone-5-4g-lte-unlimited-data-plan.html)

There is a trick around this. If anyone has unlimited now and wants to upgrade without loosing it or paying full retail hit me up. Its legal.

DS562
09-14-2012, 09:20 PM
fuck. my girl and i both got the 4S in august and paid $220 each with new contract.

TougeLove
09-14-2012, 10:59 PM
lol @ your sig. are you ignorant? they have been announcing the September release for quite a few months now. :D

ALTRNTV
09-15-2012, 09:16 AM

$50 a month for unlimited data and text messaging. I could care less about the minutes because I never talk on the phone. The hospital I work at has a generous discount with AT&T. Basically... this phone costs around $600/yr to operate.

and what did he pay for his first iphone that he is now selling?

I paid $250 for my 4s back in February, and getting $350 for it.

redline racer510
09-15-2012, 10:38 AM
I hate apple and anyone that is a Iphone fanboy. I never owned a apple product because there is nothing worth paying extra for unless your doing it to showboat. To me Iphone worshippers look like another breed of Prius owners. My samsung galaxy s2 is way better in my opinion than any Iphone out today. It does the same shit if not better and is not over hyped like apple products.

kandyflip445
09-15-2012, 12:52 PM
I hate apple and anyone that is a Iphone fanboy. I never owned a apple product because there is nothing worth paying extra for unless your doing it to showboat. To me Iphone worshippers look like another breed of Prius owners. My samsung galaxy s2 is way better in my opinion than any Iphone out today. It does the same shit if not better and is not over hyped like apple products.

That view is just as one sided as the people that "worship" the iPhone. The phone isn't a bad phone. A lot of people like it for different reasons. The GS2 was a pretty good phone as well and fits you better. Let's keep this mindless hate out.

SLiDe_WaYz
09-15-2012, 01:06 PM

So, you've never owned a single apple product and your phone is far superior to a iPhone? And you know this how?

Having owned a android and a iPhone I prefer the iPhone not for the fact it's a apple product. It's user interface is just simpler than a android. It's all based on opinions some people prefer android others prefer a iPhone.

I'm guessing since you hate apple your a android fan boy, that argument can go on for days and years on which is better and why. There basically both the same.

!Zar!
09-15-2012, 01:53 PM
I'll get the iphone, because I can sell my current one for more than it costs to renew my contract.

So essentially, I'm getting an iphone 5 for no money out of pocket.

Free upgrade?

Works for me.

fyneyoungstunna
09-16-2012, 11:51 AM
So r we getting new iPods and pads?
I have galaxy nexus on droid and its cool. Love the camera and the vid recorder. But I bought it mostly so I could game on a bigger screen. Android sucks for games, always computability issues and updates r slowfor games.

!Zar!
09-16-2012, 01:06 PM
I think my iphone has spent about 5% of its life playing games.

Future240
09-16-2012, 03:14 PM
^ Ditto.

I use mine for a lot. GPS, iPod, Netflix, net browsing (posting this with my phone now) games hardly ever.

daftphunk
09-16-2012, 05:36 PM
I play a ton of games on my iPhone haha, especially with recent ports of old RPG Classics, i.e. Final Fantasy and the likes. GPS, iPod, Netflix/Justin.TV, web, camera... etc I use my phone for it all.

lol @ this redline racer dude though, you're just as bad as any fanboy by being an anti-fanboy

DoobieS13
09-16-2012, 06:33 PM
I plan on getting the iPhone 5, i used to have a Droid Thunderbolt, love/hate relationship. It got destroyed so i ended up going back to a LG Venus (fail i know) and lost my unlimited data off my dad's plan. Now i have an LG Env Touch because i ran over my Venus and now i'm back ona data plan haha fucccccccccc! but since they're doing away with the unlimited data all together for Verizon i guess it's fine. Anyway, (add kicked in) I really want the iPhone 5 because the iPhone 4S ran circles round Androids lol, and i need a longer battery life cause i never know if i'm going to work a 40hr week or 75hr week and I can't live without my phone...

kandyflip445
09-16-2012, 08:03 PM
^You're going to break a lot of iPhones...lol. GL

DoobieS13
09-16-2012, 09:04 PM
i rly hope not lol otterbox ftw

1 88 U
09-16-2012, 09:57 PM
i rly hope not lol otterbox ftw

try lifeproof case

kandyflip445
09-16-2012, 10:10 PM
try lifeproof case

The Lifeproof cases for the 4/4S are great. We had one at my store with an iPhone in it that we would throw, hard, at the floor/wall and the phone never broke. One of our guys finally broke the bottom door that covers the charging port because he threw it with the door open. I would definitely recommend those cases to people.

1 88 U
09-16-2012, 11:29 PM
The Lifeproof cases for the 4/4S are great. We had one at my store with an iPhone in it that we would throw, hard, at the floor/wall and the phone never broke. One of our guys finally broke the bottom door that covers the charging port because he threw it with the door open. I would definitely recommend those cases to people.

LifeProof will replace it if the door broke.

DS562
09-17-2012, 02:35 AM
lol @ your sig. are you ignorant? they have been announcing the September release for quite a few months now. :D

i knew about the September release but we needed phones and im sure the first few runs of the 5 will have some kinks. im just embarrassed about forgetting about the inevitable 4s price drop lol

Future240
09-18-2012, 03:05 PM
I can't upgrade again to 8/20/13. Sigh I guess 5S then.

I always get stuck with the S phones.
3GS
4S
Eventually 5S unless the 4S can hold out until Iphone 6 comes out in 2014......

DoobieS13
09-18-2012, 04:24 PM

godddaammnn! lol k thanks for tip

kandyflip445
09-18-2012, 06:48 PM
LifeProof will replace it if the door broke.

You have a 90 day warranty on the case if you don't follow the instructions on the orange sticker on the back of the case. If you do follow the instructions on the back of the case and register then you get a 1 year warranty, IIRC. We didn't follow the sticker. lol

SLiDe_WaYz
09-18-2012, 08:59 PM
I can't upgrade again to 8/20/13. Sigh I guess 5S then.

I always get stuck with the S phones.
3GS
4S
Eventually 5S unless the 4S can hold out until Iphone 6 comes out in 2014......

You can look this up, even called apple and they told me this: average lifetime on a iPhone is 2-3years, battery fails usually by that time, LCD goes out, speakers fail etc.

So idk if your 4s will last that long lol, my old i4 only lasted me 2 years then the LCD randomly broke and didn't hold a charge anymore.

kandyflip445
09-18-2012, 09:49 PM
You can look this up, even called apple and they told me this: average lifetime on a iPhone is 2-3years, battery fails usually by that time, LCD goes out, speakers fail etc.

So idk if your 4s will last that long lol, my old i4 only lasted me 2 years then the LCD randomly broke and didn't hold a charge anymore.

Of course they're going to tell you to buy a new iPhone. I've repaired them and the only thing that usually goes out is the battery. I have had a few that the earpiece went out but they're few and far between. Other than that the most common thing is people that drop them and break the front or back glass.

Btw, the battery is pretty easy to replace and the replacement isn't expensive at all. They will usually send you the screwdriver you need to swap yours out as well. The only word of caution is when you take the screw out and you go to pry the battery connector, be careful how you pull it out. I've seen a few people try to do it themselves and they have torn of the connector that is soldered to the MB.

SLiDe_WaYz
09-18-2012, 11:26 PM
Of course they're going to tell you to buy a new iPhone. I've repaired them and the only thing that usually goes out is the battery. I have had a few that the earpiece went out but they're few and far between. Other than that the most common thing is people that drop them and break the front or back glass.

Btw, the battery is pretty easy to replace and the replacement isn't expensive at all. They will usually send you the screwdriver you need to swap yours out as well. The only word of caution is when you take the screw out and you go to pry the battery connector, be careful how you pull it out. I've seen a few people try to do it themselves and they have torn of the connector that is soldered to the MB.

I do know all of that info already I've changed the color on mine and some friends multiple times it isn't hard at all.

But on my phone and friends ear piece stops working, ringer speaker stops working, had some that had white spots on the LCD I'm guessing from water damage, charge port actually goes out alot more than some would imagine as well. Alot of the time that's the 1-2yr mark. With usual wear and tear the phone will last roughly 2-3 years. I honestly don't know anyone who hasn't had there phone repaired in less than a year where I live.

Future240
09-19-2012, 08:22 AM
I do know all of that info already I've changed the color on mine and some friends multiple times it isn't hard at all.

But on my phone and friends ear piece stops working, ringer speaker stops working, had some that had white spots on the LCD I'm guessing from water damage, charge port actually goes out alot more than some would imagine as well. Alot of the time that's the 1-2yr mark. With usual wear and tear the phone will last roughly 2-3 years. I honestly don't know anyone who hasn't had there phone repaired in less than a year where I live.

It was a knock off charger that killed my phone. I plugged it in to charge, came back light was off on the charger phone never turned on again.

Corbic
09-19-2012, 08:16 PM
DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

There is not really anything new here with the Iphone 5...

If you have a 4S I cant see why you would want this..

Its nice look and all, but where is the WOW?

Welcome to 2012. There are plenty of articles stating that we are now entering a "Decline-Phase" for cellphones.

Their abilities have far outpaced network support and we are now going to see diminishing returns. 4G-networks are already going to be outdated and with more users it will grind to the same sluggish pace as seen with standard data connections.

Additionally don't be expecting the "OMFG" effect we all had when the first iPhones came out rendering all the candybars, razors and blackberries obsolete. It will be like the computer world - every year new models that are moderately better spec'd come out.. but its nothing to right home about.

My contract for my 4 was up back in July... not sure how eager I am to slam down $200-300 for a 5... i know they'll have a 5S in the summer and the S-series always seem better overall value.

Don't charge your shit off a cigarette lighter.

Future240
09-19-2012, 08:36 PM
^^Why is it bad to charge it off a cig lighter?

Corbic
09-19-2012, 08:40 PM
^^Why is it bad to charge it off a cig lighter?

The regulators in those shitty charger adapters by and large are substandard and worthless. As a result the constant electrical pulses from the car are amplified and cause the batteries to wear out quicker.

Properly braking in and maintaining a battery is critical to having a long life of trouble free operation.

Future240
09-19-2012, 08:52 PM
The regulators in those shitty charger adapters by and large are substandard and worthless. As a result the constant electrical pulses from the car are amplified and cause the batteries to wear out quicker.

Properly braking in and maintaining a battery is critical to having a long life of trouble free operation.

I guess that goes for shitty chargers too. My 3GS worked like a champ till the charger killed it. I have never had any of those issues SLiDe_WaYz was talking about lol.

slamburger
09-20-2012, 11:28 AM
iOS 6 is cool...anyone else download it yesterday?

Rut Ro
09-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Downloading the update as we speak. Ive heard that some peoples contacts got erased thou. Two of my buddies say that their updates went smooth and no issues. Must be hit or miss when it comes to the updates and if you have backed up your phone recently.

Future240
09-20-2012, 12:57 PM
I'll download it as soon as it is jail broken.

slamburger
09-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Downloading the update as we speak. Ive heard that some peoples contacts got erased thou. Two of my buddies say that their updates went smooth and no issues. Must be hit or miss when it comes to the updates and if you have backed up your phone recently.
Yeah i think its the people that dont back thier phones up regularly. My phone syncs automatically on my home wifi so i had no issues at all.

HyperTek
09-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Where the Iphone fails = no replaceable battery, and not being able to add additional storage space via MicroSD slot. NFC technology would potentially have been the future (Galaxy S3 has it), being able to beam/transfer things like pictures, pay for items at cash registers by swiping the phone etc , it could have been big if Apple would have also incorporated it (since apple products sadly do get preferred integration into everything (tvs, car stereos etc).

Hardie
09-20-2012, 11:51 PM
Lovin this video atm:

Samsung slams Apple fans as out-of-date sheep | Smartphone News & Reviews | News.com.au (http://www.news.com.au/technology/smartphones/queue-too-samsung-pokes-fun-at-iphone-users/story-fn6vihic-1226477798215)

Absolutely chops Iphone.

slamburger
09-21-2012, 11:36 AM
I wasnt aware this is the apple hater thread. Get over your selves. Use what ever phone or whatever electronic device that works for YOU. End of story.

Future240
09-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I wasnt aware this is the apple hater thread. Get over your selves. Use what ever phone or whatever electronic device that works for YOU. End of story.

Every cell phone threads turns into an Android vs Apple thread. I fully expect someone to post a video or something about Android to counter the above video.

1 88 U
09-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Every cell phone threads turns into an Android vs Apple thread. I fully expect someone to post a video or something about Android to counter the above video.
why not
iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6M5q5TRuAsY)

kalypso123
09-21-2012, 05:25 PM
I have a Galaxy s2 and its the shit...

apple would have to pay me to buy an iphone 5

daftphunk
09-21-2012, 06:07 PM
Got my iPhone 5 delivered to my house this morning and... it's very cool to me.

1 88 U
09-21-2012, 06:35 PM
This phone is unbelievably light. My only gripes are the shity maps and the screen size increase. The Maps app will get better with time and the muscle memory in my hand will adapt to the extra stretch from home button to top row.

AT&T LTE is fast as hell. Check my speedtest in downtown Lawrenceville GA.
http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/327757169.png

upsdude
09-21-2012, 06:37 PM
Where the Iphone fails = no replaceable battery, and not being able to add additional storage space via MicroSD slot. NFC technology would potentially have been the future (Galaxy S3 has it), being able to beam/transfer things like pictures, pay for items at cash registers by swiping the phone etc , it could have been big if Apple would have also incorporated it (since apple products sadly do get preferred integration into everything (tvs, car stereos etc).
i agree-i like having the option to expand my memory, and i like being able to replace the battery if it dies instead of getting a whole new phone.

i like the iphone, i just like my galaxy s3 more :)

kalypso123
09-21-2012, 07:56 PM
the 4g LTE speeds are insane...

I'd like to see what the battery life will be like.

florante rea
09-22-2012, 09:27 AM
2 more months before upgrade:(

1 88 U
09-22-2012, 10:45 AM
This is SW ATLANTA AT&T iPhone 5
http://www.speedtest.net/iphone/328688583.png

HyperTek
09-22-2012, 02:29 PM
why not
iPhone 5 vs Samsung Galaxy S3 Drop Test - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=6M5q5TRuAsY)

They did the same commercials last year :wavey:
Movies & Music - Samsung Galaxy S II, The Next Big Thing - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwct7AvRuB4)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2lRRBbu2LU

They are funny imo

1 88 U
09-22-2012, 04:39 PM
The Next Crappy Thing is Already Here - Samsung Galaxy Sh*t - YouTube (http://youtu.be/FIwKlD0qVKc)

I like the Galaxy SIII but I just can't get on board with a brand that has a shelf life of 6 months. The GS4 is supposed to drop February? WTF. At least I know the next iPhone won't drop until Next September/October.

Check this. http://www.redmondpie.com/iphone-5-performance-benchmarks-detailed-its-the-fastest-smartphone-available-today/

Only 4 Android devises today are faster than the iPhone 4S while the 5 is now the fastest in the world.

Some Androids are cool as shit but nothing beats a JailBroken iPhone.

SimpleS14
09-23-2012, 11:47 AM
The GS4 is supposed to drop February? WTF.

That's not going to happen. Even Samsung squashed that rumor.

Some Androids are cool as shit but nothing beats a JailBroken iPhone.

This is all personal preference, but IMO Rooted Android device > Jailbroken iPhone.

Hardie
09-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I have had both and once you go S3 you will never go back. Also Rooted Android will always chop Jailbroken Iphone. Even non-rooted android can still do more than a Jailbroken Iphone, all apple products are limited by the hardware they use.

swiftdrift
09-23-2012, 09:29 PM
I do agree that it does suck that Apple made it diffcult to replace batteries on iPhones... but it can be done. Luckily for me, I can replace screens, batteries, and just about any other part on an iPhone.

Here's my most recent replacement of my back glass after dropping it. I replaced the battery at the same time that I opened it up.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/swiftdrift/1E779028-0080-4AA8-8786-C987B701E312-10920-000005A4D6A56058_zps46a7e17f.jpg

Just ordered clear screens so gonna be putting those one as soon as they come in.

Also just replaced my buddy's back glass just cuz he wanted it custom and different.

http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h196/swiftdrift/D96727AF-0BB8-47C8-B228-CA575F3B8C75-10897-000005A3618711AD_zps8b2ebd75.jpg

So whoever says iPhones are not easily customizable or fixable don't know sh*t lol

!Zar!
09-24-2012, 11:47 PM
I have had both and once you go S3 you will never go back. Also Rooted Android will always chop Jailbroken Iphone. Even non-rooted android can still do more than a Jailbroken Iphone, all apple products are limited by the hardware they use.

Nobody (as in the majority of the public) gives a flying fuck. You act like everyone buying an Android / iphone is in some state of emergency and in need to develop apps, and code the shit out of their phone.

All the average phone user wants is internet, texting, and a camera.

So please fuck off with all that root bullshit.

Hardie
09-24-2012, 11:59 PM
Nobody (as in the majority of the public) gives a flying fuck. You act like everyone buying an Android / iphone is in some state of emergency and in need to develop apps, and code the shit out of their phone.

Wow watchout

All I'm saying is the functionality Iphone is nothing compared to a 3S. Also just about everyone I know that either owns an Iphone or 3S has them Jailbroken/Rooted, its clear once again the "majority of the public" want more for free. Therefore when choosing a Smartphone Jailbraking/Rooting ability should be considered in the final decision. If the average phone user just wanted internet, texting, and a camera what would the point be in buying a smartphone.

enkei2k
09-25-2012, 07:07 AM
If the average phone user just wanted internet, texting, and a camera what would the point be in buying a smartphone.

internet, texting, and a camera?

I guess count me in as the average phone user. I just don't like how the GS series has 7 pages of bullcrap apps installed that I have no intention of using. Yes, rooting it does fix the issue, but it's not the end of the world. I have no interest in rooting/jail breaking.

Anyway, after looking into it, I'm going to pass on the iPhone 5/GS3. You guys were right, not many major improvements on the iPhone and the GS3 is just way too big for my liking.

Corbic
09-25-2012, 07:23 AM

Truth.

Fuck I don't even play games anymore on my iPhone, so I could give a shit that Android has a billion more free games.

People only care about some core functionality, user interface and improving hardware performance.

Only geeked out nerds worry about coding, hacking and what not. People don't even know what RAM is, let alone the ability to state the performance difference of two numbers other than the big number is better.

Corbic
09-25-2012, 07:33 AM
Also just about everyone I know that either owns an Iphone or 3S has them.

Imagine that - phone nerd has phone nerds for friends....

In other news, Canadian Geese migrate exclusively with other Canadian Geese.

If the average phone user just wanted internet, texting, and a camera what would the point be in buying a smartphone.

If all you need to do to get to work is drive, why do you need a brand new 300hp V6 Camry?

Once again, smartphones are constantly improving the way we use and access the Internet, videos and games. No one cares about coding or programing. We just want to watch cat videos, check MyBook and text pictures of ourselves in the bathroom mirror.

kalypso123
09-25-2012, 08:00 AM
love this

http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=43799&stc=1&d=1348581591

enkei2k
09-10-2013, 09:53 PM
bump for new iPhone 5S/5C release info today.

New iPhone: Apple announces iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S - chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-apple-iphone-tuesday-20130910,0,6919366.story)

5S and 5C....yawn.

How much longer before Apple people realize that their products are truly starting to show their age and aren't really ground breaking anymore? Offering a cheaper product to appeal to a broader market seems like a desperation shot to me. Kinda like how you don't really see Ferrari offering a 30k car. Kinda loses it's prestige.

Matej
09-10-2013, 09:57 PM
How much longer before Apple people realize that their products are truly starting to show their age and aren't really ground breaking anymore? Offering a cheaper product to appeal to a broader market seems like a desperation shot to me. Kinda like how you don't really see Ferrari offering a 30k car. Kinda loses it's prestige.
BBC - Capital - The end of Apple as we know it? (http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/20130904-the-end-of-apple-as-we-know-it)

7x13
09-11-2013, 10:48 AM
First 64-bit processor phone is somewhat impressive.

The 5C appeals to me because I have yet to jump on the smart phone train.
Cheap version of the 5. $99 down plus an estimated $20+ with a 2-year contract somewhat in my price range.

But I'm actually waiting to get a GS4 for $200(insurance hook up) prepaid and unlimited everything for $60(MetroPCS or $70 for T-Mobile).

S14DB
09-11-2013, 01:51 PM
bump for new iPhone 5S/5C release info today.

New iPhone: Apple announces iPhone 5C, iPhone 5S - chicagotribune.com (http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/breaking/chi-apple-iphone-tuesday-20130910,0,6919366.story)

5S and 5C....yawn.

Cheaper product? The C is just a 5 with a Color back. It's replacing the regular 5.

It's not the Cheap entry phone "analysts" were expecting. It's the same upgrade path as before(3G->3GS,4->4S). They just went iPod with the colors.

Corbic
09-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Cheaper product? The C is just a 5 with a Color back. It's replacing the regular 5.

It's not the Cheap entry phone "analysts" were expecting. It's the same upgrade path as before(3G->3GS,4->4S). They just went iPod with the colors.

It's also still one size fits all.

7x13
09-11-2013, 02:32 PM

Adding to this.

The C stands for Color, not cheap.

Corbic
09-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Adding to this.

The C stands for Color, not cheap.

It stands for crap.

S14DB
09-11-2013, 02:51 PM
It stands for crap.
The iPhone 5 is a work of art...
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2012/09/28/iphone_5_a_precision_work_of_art

7x13
09-11-2013, 02:56 PM
It stands for crap.

Dont buy it, problem solved.:snoop:

Future240
09-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Yawn.

That is how I feel about yesterdays event. I expected it to be that way though so I am not really all that surprised. I figured I'd be hanging on to my 4S until the 6 drops. Hopefully it doesn't die on me like my 3gs did.

Corbic
09-11-2013, 03:34 PM
Dont buy it, problem solved.:snoop:

Funny you should mention that.... since I ditched my iPhone 4 last year for a Note 2 because I was so disappointed with the iPhone 5.

My next laptop will be a Samsung as well (Macbook Pro atm).

Corbic
09-11-2013, 03:36 PM
Yawn.

That is how I feel about yesterdays event. I expected it to be that way though so I am not really all that surprised. I figured I'd be hanging on to my 4S until the 6 drops. Hopefully it doesn't die on me like my 3gs did.

Pretty much. I can't imagine them going beyond July for the 6.

It also baffles me how they refuse to offer two size versions like the Samsung Duo. That's money on the table. I know Apple is all "but omfg, wide screen don't fit in hand" but honestly, that's why you have two versions.

98'% of my phone usage is not talking on the phone.

enkei2k
09-11-2013, 03:43 PM

That's true. Color + Plastic. But $99 for a new contract phone is considered cheaper by Apple standards. It's $199 for the 5S.

But even though it's color, they're still offering different color cases :goyou: Colorception?

FRpilot
09-11-2013, 04:20 PM
How much longer before Apple people realize that their products are truly starting to show their age and aren't really ground breaking anymore? Kinda like how you don't really see Ferrari offering a 30k car. Kinda loses it's prestige.

I've never considered Apple as the Ferrari of phones, but stock traders have the same feeling as you with Apple shares dropping today about $25 (5%).

S14DB
09-11-2013, 06:44 PM
That's true. Color + Plastic. But $99 for a new contract phone is considered cheaper by Apple standards. It's $199 for the 5S.

But even though it's color, they're still offering different color cases :goyou: Colorception?
Going back to my example.
When the 3GS came out the 3G went to $99
When the 4 came out the 3GS went to $99
When the 4S came out the 4 went to $99
When the 5 came out the 4S went to $99

Why wouldn't the 5 go to $99 when the 5S came out?

Not like they have never offered multicolor in ipods to increase sales.
http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/i-stJZNHb-M-580x386.jpg

And if someone is going to say that an Android phone wouldn't do that.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/HT_moto_x_smartphone_colors_thg_130801_16x9_992.jp g

SimpleS14
09-11-2013, 07:28 PM
I've never considered Apple as the Ferrari of phones, but stock traders have the same feeling as you with Apple shares dropping today about $25 (5%).

I consider them the Porsche of phones. Stick to the same design philosophy with minor evolutions over time.

The only thing I find interesting about the iPhone 5C is the construction of the case. Yes it's plastic, but it's cut from a single piece using CNC machining.

The Brilliant Simplicity Behind the iPhone 5C's Design (http://gizmodo.com/the-brilliant-simplicity-behind-the-iphone-5cs-design-1291914052)

And if someone is going to say that an Android phone wouldn't do that.
http://a.abcnews.com/images/Technology/HT_moto_x_smartphone_colors_thg_130801_16x9_992.jp g

Motorola dropped the ball by not offering this on all carriers right out the gate. I still think it's a brilliant idea and I'm going to patiently wait for the woodbacks before I consider this phone or the next Nexus.

FaLKoN240
09-11-2013, 07:34 PM
Going back to my example.
When the 3GS came out the 3G went to $99
When the 4 came out the 3GS went to $99
When the 4S came out the 4 went to $99
When the 5 came out the 4S went to $99

Why wouldn't the 5 go to $99 when the 5S came out?

Not sure if you're serious, but they won't be marketing the 5 anymore.

The 5C is the replacement of the 5, which is why they changed the setup of the phone.

Corbic
09-11-2013, 07:37 PM
Not sure if you're serious, but they won't be marketing the 5 anymore.

The 5C is the replacement of the 5, which is why they changed the setup of the phone.

His point is the in the past they just sold the previous years Phone for $99. This time around, they are taking the previous years phone, making a cheaper version (plastic) and selling it for $99.

OMFG WHAT A SHOCK.

Meanwhile, the "new" phone is just an improvement on the previous phone.

imotion s14
09-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Maybe Apple should make the iphone6 in the shape of a Christmas tree.

INNOVATION!

Rectangles are SO 00s.

!Zar!
09-11-2013, 09:38 PM
As always I'm going to skip Apple's off year phone. Also known as the 'somthingS'.

I have the option to get a 5S at no charge, and even that isn't really interesting me...

Next year when the 6 or whatever comes out I'll for sure purchase that. It will most likely be a nice jump in style and function as compared to my current 5.

Future240
09-12-2013, 05:11 PM
As always I'm going to skip Apple's off year phone. Also known as the 'somthingS'.

I have the option to get a 5S at no charge, and even that isn't really interesting me...

Next year when the 6 or whatever comes out I'll for sure purchase that. It will most likely be a nice jump in style and function as compared to my current 5.

This is my plan as well. My 3gs messed that up when it died I i had no choice but to get a 4s. I am trying my damndest to hang on to this one.

Articles like this make me hopeful for the future.

Apple Tests iPhone Screens as Large as Six Inches - WSJ.com (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324577304579057262388733816.html)

slothonaleash
09-12-2013, 05:23 PM
I have an LG Revere. I have had it for 4 years. It holds a charge for five days with continued use. I don't get on instagram when I'm having conversations with people. It's just the best.

FaLKoN240
09-12-2013, 11:18 PM
His point is the in the past they just sold the previous years Phone for $99. This time around, they are taking the previous years phone, making a cheaper version (plastic) and selling it for $99.

OMFG WHAT A SHOCK.

Meanwhile, the "new" phone is just an improvement on the previous phone.

Aren't all the "new" phones improvements over the others? Also, the camera in the front facing camera is HD, that's a little bit better than the iPhone 5... :p

I have an LG Revere. I have had it for 4 years. It holds a charge for five days with continued use. I don't get on instagram when I'm having conversations with people. It's just the best.

Falls into abyss of other ignored comments.

7x13
09-13-2013, 09:20 AM
Funny you should mention that.... since I ditched my iPhone 4 last year for a Note 2 because I was so disappointed with the iPhone 5.

My next laptop will be a Samsung as well (Macbook Pro atm).

I just got a iPhone 4 as a loaner while my SG4 comes in the mail.
its taking FOREVER.