PDA

View Full Version : Apple V. Samsung: Android takes a big loss

1 88 U
08-24-2012, 11:48 PM
Apple v. Samsung jury finds Apple's patents valid, awards it nearly $1.05 billion in damages -- Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2012/08/24/apple-v-samsung-decision/)
The federal court jury in the patent infringement lawsuit between Apple and Samsung has presented its verdict after deliberating for just 21 hours and 37 minutes following the three week trial. This particular case started with Apple's lawsuit last April and now the jury's decision is that Samsung did infringe on Apple's '381 bounceback patent with all 21 of its products in question. For the '915 patent on pinch-and-zoom, the jury ruled all but three of the devices listed infringed, and more damningly, found that Samsung executives either knew or should have known their products infringed on the listed patents. The jury has also found against Samsung when it comes to Apple's contours on the back of the iPhone and its home screen GUI. The Galaxy Tab, was found not to have infringed upon Apple's iPad design patents. The bad news for Samsung continued however, as the jury decided that not only did it willfully infringe on five of the seven Apple patents, but also upheld their validity when it came to utility, design and trade dress.

The amount of the damages against Samsung is in: $1,051,855,000.00 (see below). That's less than half of the $2.5 billion it was seeking, but still more than enough to put an exclamation point on this victory for the team from Cupertino. The final number is $1,049,343,540, after the judge found an issue with how the jury applied damages for the Galaxy Tab 10.1 4G LTE and Intercept. The jury also ruled that Apple did not infringe upon Samsung's patents with the iPhone 3G and 3GS, and has awarded it zero dollars in damage. We'll have more information for you as it become available.

Update: Both companies have released statements on the matter, with Apple stating via the New York Times the ruling sends a loud and clear message that "stealing isn't right." Samsung has its own viewpoint calling this "a loss for the American consumer" that will lead to fewer choices, less innovation and high prices. You can see both in their entirety after the break.

Apple:

We are grateful to the jury for their service and for investing the time to listen to our story and we were thrilled to be able to finally tell it. The mountain of evidence presented during the trail showed that Samsung's copying went far deeper than even we knew. The lawsuits between Apple and Samsung were about much more than patents or money. They were about values. At Apple, we value originality and innovation and pour our lives into making the best products on earth. We make these products to delight our customers, not for our competitors to flagrantly copy. We applaud the court for finding Samsung's behavior willful and for sending a loud and clear message that stealing isn't right.
Samsung:
Today's verdict should not be viewed as a win for Apple, but as a loss for the American consumer. It will lead to fewer choices, less innovation, and potentially higher prices. It is unfortunate that patent law can be manipulated to give one company a monopoly over rectangles with rounded corners, or technology that is being improved every day by Samsung and other companies. Consumers have the right to choices, and they know what they are buying when they purchase Samsung products. This is not the final word in this case or in battles being waged in courts and tribunals around the world, some of which have already rejected many of Apple's claims. Samsung will continue to innovate and offer choices for the consumer

Apple - $1.05 Billion (with a B)
Samsung - $0
Better cop the GS3 now before the upcoming import ban.

Om1kron
08-24-2012, 11:57 PM
probably would've been smarter on your behalf to word the title right since android is not samsung or owned by samsung. it's simply an operating system on their devices which is what is in the books for patent infringment here not google for copying apples os.

just thought I would put that out there.

usdm180sx
08-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Samsung will appeal.

1 88 U
08-25-2012, 06:34 AM
Google purchased Motorolla for their patents and lends the patents to HTC and Samsung to counter sue apple. That failed. Now that Apple has finally won in court on a number of patents they can aggressively pursue injunctions on other device makers that they say infringe in a similar fashion. This lawsuit was everything about Google Android.

simmode1
08-25-2012, 07:58 AM
Better cop the GS3 now before the upcoming import ban.
FML. For real. Before I get stuck with this GS1 forever.

1 88 U
08-25-2012, 10:30 AM
FML. For real. Before I get stuck with this GS1 forever.

The preliminary injunction hearing is set for September 20 but may be pushed back if Apple goes after all of the infringing devices.

Daniel.
08-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Google purchased Motorolla for their patents and lends the patents to HTC and Samsung to counter sue apple. That failed. Now that Apple has finally won in court on a number of patents they can aggressively pursue injunctions on other device makers that they say infringe in a similar fashion. This lawsuit was everything about Google Android.

Yes, but....no.

You're still a bit short sighted. Maybe we should talk about the larger issue here. Patent reform.

S14DB
08-25-2012, 03:07 PM
When Patent Trolling goes Corporate. Least it has jumped the shark now and we can hope for reform soon. If not I'm going to patent rounded corners in mobile OSes.

HyperTek
08-25-2012, 04:40 PM
yeah why didnt Apple go towards Google? because they kinda relate/work with google, so they decide to go after their competition who uses it and cuts into their sales.

Had Apple products not been overpriced, Im sure they would have more sales and wouldnt have felt the pressure from Samsung.

FRpilot
08-25-2012, 06:55 PM
^^^

i don't understand that myself. wouldn't you go after the company who develops the OS and sold it to others? if you were microsoft and someone was distributing pirated windows software, wouldn't you go after them (the source) instead of their customers who bought and used the pirated windows software?

some of the claims that apple made in recent years really made me question... how can you claim that you own the word App (which is short for application) or that samsung's phones were rectangular in shape with rounded edges, so they must have copied the iphone? that's like saying you own the letter "A" in the alphabet and no one is allowed to use it. Are other companies only allowed to produce phones that are circle in shape? :rolleyes:

whatever the case, many articles i've read claim that the ruling in this case is important and will set the tone over rulings in other similar lawsuits to come by apple against other companies. maybe samsung, htc, LG, etc. are easier fish to fry/easier targets until apple eventually goes after google?

SimpleS14
08-25-2012, 09:06 PM
Yes, but....no.

You're still a bit short sighted. Maybe we should talk about the larger issue here. Patent reform.

+1 Patent reform is desperately needed and this trial may have been a chance for the judge to voice that.

wouldn't you go after the company who develops the OS and sold it to others?

Google has the largest stake in the development of Android, but they do not sell the OS.

The outcome of this trial will definitely impact the mobile industry and I can see Apple pulling a Microsoft and demand royalties for certain devices being sold.

Daniel.
08-25-2012, 11:48 PM
Apple can't directly level lawsuits against google, since stock Android doesn't infringe on any Apple patents.

EDIT: I'm going to eat my words when Apple levels 20billion lawsuits against Google next year. *roll eyes* The bottom line here is, what do we need to do as a society to benefit consumers the most? Is what Apple is doing stifling innovation?

HyperTek
08-26-2012, 01:31 AM
there will be a future where all computers and cell phones will be apple.. and only the wealthy can afford them. lol

S14DB
08-26-2012, 08:31 AM
Apple can't directly level lawsuits against google, since stock Android doesn't infringe on any Apple patents.

EDIT: I'm going to eat my words when Apple levels 20billion lawsuits against Google next year. *roll eyes* The bottom line here is, what do we need to do as a society to benefit consumers the most? Is what Apple is doing stifling innovation?
Didn't HTC start this BS?

Daniel.
08-26-2012, 11:13 AM
Don't know, don't care. Everyone just needs to cut it out and focus on making awesome products.

imotion s14
08-26-2012, 12:51 PM
When Patent Trolling goes Corporate. Least it has jumped the shark now and we can hope for reform soon. If not I'm going to patent rounded corners in mobile OSes.

lol.. yeah that's it, it's the rounded corners.. not the internal memos pretty much saying they're basically copying the iphone.

Great victory for Apple.

When I heard the news I pumped my fist towards the sky and said "That one's for you Steve."

theronin
08-26-2012, 05:06 PM
Only reinforces my stance that I will NEVER own an apple product

1 88 U
08-26-2012, 05:50 PM
Only reinforces my stance that I will NEVER own an apple product

Your loss. Macbook Pros are the shit

imotion s14
08-26-2012, 08:45 PM
I like it when Apple releases new software updates it makes your apple device runs FASTER.

No surprise that A-tards are almost always PCtards. I remember the old PC days when people jest about a PC being out of date the moment you walked out the store? Now it's a:hahano: point of pride for these A-tards.

There is an iPhone killer out every week. :hahano:

derux
08-27-2012, 09:18 AM
I am going to patent cars with 4 wheels or buy stock in the company that does.

Daniel.
08-27-2012, 10:24 AM
How Google has avoided Apple's patents, trade dress, & other claims | The Verge Forums (http://www.theverge.com/2012/8/25/3268609/how-google-has-avoided-apples-patents-trade-dress-other-claims)

How Google has avoided Apple's patents, trade dress, & other claims

The recent Apple v. Samsung trial has gotten my gears turning with regards to Google and their role in the Android ecosystem. With the lawsuit, I think it was pretty obvious that Samsung was heavily inspired by Apple and went through a lot of effort to straight up copy them in some areas (look and feel of hardware, completely redoing Android's homescreen to include colorful rounded rectangles, etc.). The question is, how has Google avoided this? And what should they continue to do?

Snip...snip

Do you feel Google has done a good job of avoiding Apple's claims, or do you think they still need to go farther? What type of innovations would you like to see from Google? How else can Google and Android manufacturers differentiate themselves from Apple? Sound off in the forum below.

WISH ONE
08-27-2012, 11:35 AM
I went from an Iphone4 to a GS3 I like it, although I admit its a bit advanced for my simple ass.

1 88 U
08-27-2012, 02:11 PM
I hate that android uses an icon based system. Palm WebOS cards and Windows Phone 8 Tiles were original and work amazing if you give them a try.

Daniel.
08-27-2012, 02:43 PM
I hate that android uses an icon based system. Palm WebOS cards and Windows Phone 8 Tiles were original and work amazing if you give them a try.

WebOS also used icons to launch apps, but used gestures to swipe away the app cards once launched.

http://smartphoneblogging.com/wp-content/gallery/palm-pre-webos-picture-gallery/palm_pre_cards_rearrange.png

Android also uses swipe gestures to close apps in tiled "listview" in 4.0 (Ice cream sandwich) and above.

http://developer.android.com/sdk/images/4.0/tasks-lg.png

You know that Matias Duarte, who designed the UI/UX for WebOS designed everything on Android starting with 3.0 (Honeycomb) right?

fliprayzin240sx
09-04-2012, 10:53 AM
HAHAHAHA...not sure if this is true but it would have been funny as shit...
Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion sending 30 trucks full of 5 cent coins (http://www.zurmat.com/2012/08/29/samsung-pays-apple-1-billion-sending-30-trucks-full-of-5-cent-coins/)

SimpleS14
09-04-2012, 11:33 AM
^-- that's not true. What is funny is that $1B is a drop in the bucket to the overall revenue generated by Samsung as a whole.

Apple is at it once again with the S3, Note and some other newly released devices. A lot them that really make you shrug.

Patiently waiting for the day that the general public starts to view Apple in a not-so positive manner.

usdm180sx
09-04-2012, 12:43 PM
They should have really been assholes and paid them in pennies

fliprayzin240sx
09-04-2012, 01:01 PM
^-- that's not true. What is funny is that $1B is a drop in the bucket to the overall revenue generated by Samsung as a whole.

Apple is at it once again with the S3, Note and some other newly released devices. A lot them that really make you shrug.

Patiently waiting for the day that the general public starts to view Apple in a not-so positive manner.

My mentality is competition makes you build better products. Sure Apple had some ideas with their phones but almost all the other phones in the market blows them out of the water. Apple is just pissed off because they had the market at one point, now they are starting to play catch up because they're falling behind on innovative shit to do with the iphones. Siri is shit, they were a year behind 4g. There's only 3 reason they're staying competitive, people got used to having i-whatever and doesnt wanna change, all the aps seems to be catered to apple first and then you have the lemmings.

I'm saying all this and I got a damn Iphone. Only reason I got it is because the wife's family uses ATT and she wanted a damn Iphone. Just so happen the store we got our phones from didnt have any galaxy s for me.

Phlip
09-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Samsung pays Apple $1 Billion sending 30 trucks full of 5 cent coins (http://www.zurmat.com/2012/08/29/samsung-pays-apple-1-billion-sending-30-trucks-full-of-5-cent-coins/)
Can't be true; there is yet a year or more of appeals and legal wrangling. In the end, Samsung will not be held to paying the full amount.

My mentality is competition makes you build better products. Sure Apple had some ideas with their phones but almost all the other phones in the market blows them out of the water. Apple is just pissed off because they had the market at one point, now they are starting to play catch up because they're falling behind on innovative shit to do with the iphones. Siri is shit, they were a year behind 4g. There's only 3 reason they're staying competitive, people got used to having i-whatever and doesnt wanna change, all the aps seems to be catered to apple first and then you have the lemmings.

I'm saying all this and I got a damn Iphone. Only reason I got it is because the wife's family uses ATT and she wanted a damn Iphone. Just so happen the store we got our phones from didnt have any galaxy s for me.
I agree with ALL OF THIS. Rather than being more competitive, they're quick to try and fight back in court first.
My wife has an iPhone 4s and it often feels like she is pretending not to hate the thing. I was using an older Samsung Captivate (Galaxy S) and now I have the Sony Xperia ion. My only complaints about either phone was fixed with a custom ROM on the Samsung and will be addressed with the update to my Sony.
I'm good.

S14DB
09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
snopes.com: Samsung Pays Apple $1 Billion in Nickels (http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/samsung.asp)

So much you can do with the Android GUI. Why Samsung came out with that crap in the first place is beyond me.

SochBAT
09-04-2012, 07:24 PM
I love that, at it's base, Android is a completely modular OS. Don't like it? Change it. I love that it's fully customizable from the ground up. I love that the Play Store is a lot more varied.

I also love Apple products (not for me, personally) because for the general populace, it simply works. It is so easy, my little cousins (3 and 4) can use it. Hell, they use it better than their parents!

I HATE WITH A MOTHERFUCKING PASSION when they start having issues though. I HATE troubleshooting my family's iphone problems. FUCK ME IN THE ASS!

Future240
09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
I agree with Sooshi completely. I love both Android and Apple. You can't do shit with IOS until it has been jailbroken. I just love the fact that when it works it just fucking WORKS. Like the above post, troubleshooting them is a bitch.

The casualty of this whole lawsuit is innovation.

HyperTek
09-05-2012, 06:05 PM
i just got a galaxy s3 too, rooted, unlocked and flashed with a custom rom. =p

Phlip
09-12-2012, 08:00 PM
Samsung, HTC to block US, EU sales of Apple iPhone 5 using LTE patents | Android and Me (http://androidandme.com/2012/09/smartphones-2/samsung-htc-to-block-us-eu-sales-of-iphone-5-using-lte-patents/)

It gets deeper

SharkMan
09-13-2012, 08:28 AM
I love that, at it's base, Android is a completely modular OS. Don't like it? Change it. I love that it's fully customizable from the ground up. I love that the Play Store is a lot more varied.

I also love Apple products (not for me, personally) because for the general populace, it simply works. It is so easy, my little cousins (3 and 4) can use it. Hell, they use it better than their parents!

I HATE WITH A MOTHERFUCKING PASSION when they start having issues though. I HATE troubleshooting my family's iphone problems. FUCK ME IN THE ASS!

+1 To the fullest.

Apple has its pro's but not for me. I mean unless your editing movies or videos or in a recording studio using protools apple just seems like a fisherprice OS. And troubleshooting is a pain in the a$$, boo to non open based OS's. Apple takes a huge lose knowing that in this day and age a typical adult has no need to have a mp3 player or ipod if that will when that already have one with their cell phone.

TheWolf
09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Samsung, HTC to block US, EU sales of Apple iPhone 5 using LTE patents | Android and Me (http://androidandme.com/2012/09/smartphones-2/samsung-htc-to-block-us-eu-sales-of-iphone-5-using-lte-patents/)

It gets deeper

doubtfull. If they had something, they would have already moved. This sounds like a shakedown for cash not a blocking of sales.

SimpleS14
09-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Apple takes a huge lose knowing that in this day and age a typical adult has no need to have a mp3 player or ipod if that will when that already have one with their cell phone.

iPods and separate MP3 players are still relevant. Sure you can use your phone, but for prolonged listening, that will kill battery life.

S14DB
09-13-2012, 02:34 PM
doubtfull. If they had something, they would have already moved. This sounds like a shakedown for cash not a blocking of sales.

yeah, IIRC the 3rd gen iPad already has the LTE. Why didn't they go after that?

SharkMan
09-13-2012, 03:24 PM
iPods and separate MP3 players are still relevant. Sure you can use your phone, but for prolonged listening, that will kill battery life.

Not saying that they aren't, but most people will still use their phone to play music because they don't want to carry their mp3 player aswell. I mean a person always has their phone on them now days. But yes I can agree to them being relevant.

usdm180sx
09-13-2012, 03:37 PM
I'd rather have a separate MP3 player for my car then use my smart phone

S14DB
09-13-2012, 03:46 PM
I'd rather have a separate MP3 player for my car then use my smart phone
Yeah I have had a classic ipod in my car for over 6yrs. I need like a 64gb nano to replace it.

HyperTek
09-13-2012, 04:03 PM
rdIWKytq_q4
u28sTUxk3jw

slamburger
09-13-2012, 05:46 PM
That guy is a complete fucking idiot...

S14DB
09-13-2012, 06:32 PM
That guy is a complete fucking idiot...
His channel is epic lols...
THE ONLY SOURCE FOR BLACK OPS 2 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/ELPRESADOR/)

SharkMan
09-13-2012, 06:46 PM
Wow... that guy is an idiot. He talks like John Madden LoL.

1 88 U
09-13-2012, 07:46 PM

It gets deeper

They are all standards essential patents and this lawsuit will do nothing but get laughed out of court and start anti-trust investigations against them. In other news Apple just won and injunction against Motorola in Germany (http://www.fosspatents.com/2012/09/german-court-hands-apple-rubber-banding.html). Android stay losing.