PDA

View Full Version : Review: Thorough Concepts High Pressure Power Steering

DJ-of-E
08-02-2012, 12:47 AM
Unfortunately, I have an extremely busy schedule, so this review will be short.

Installation

When you receive the package, it's pretty much straight-forward if you know what you're doing. It basically is just line from the PS Pump to the Rack & Pinion.

See HPPS Setup for Nissan 240sx '91-'02 (http://www.thoroughconceptsretail.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=TCHPPS) for product.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/DJ-of-E/Random%20Images/ps-line.jpg

The gold end connects to the Power Steering pump's high pressure line exit. You're pretty much replacing the hose that connects to the hardline and into the Rack & Pinion. You might needs to drill some holes into the chassis to hold the block in place without movement. Also, you may need to drill some hoes and wrap in zip ties to hold down the second half of the line.

Performance

The whole point of the OEM PS Sensor is so that the engine will rev a bit higher while you're using your PS system. If you're on stock setup, then omitting the sensor and using the line from ISIS should be fine as your RPM wouldn't drop enough to stall the engine. However, I am on a stock engine with Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel and Aluminum Driveshaft. I unplugged the oem ps sensor and at times reversing or going slow doing 90 degrees made the engine buckle near to the point of stalling, especially on a lowered car with dips.

On Auto-X, you are forced to steer constantly left and right. Most of the lines itself on the set can handle the abuse, even if my fluid was literally boiling. Solo2 @ El Toro is extremely nice because each lap averages around 80 seconds of constant steering. On a really hot day, this would boil my PS line badly on wide sticky tires. The problem I've experienced twice and to my concern was the rubber o-ring.

http://i496.photobucket.com/albums/rr323/DJ-of-E/Random%20Images/ps-line2.jpg

This O-ring had gushed out twice, causing a leak whenever I steer. This o-ring didn't break, but more like stretched out of the fitting. I had to end my day early once and do an on-site fix on the other. The second time, I tried calling Thorough concepts about it, but left voicemail on a weekend. If I were to create my own line, I would rather have a crush washer than an O-ring, similar to an ISIS LINE. Since I need as much "metal to metal" contact and have the O-ring act like a seal, I used a smaller O but stopped having the problem afterwards. The smaller O-ring allowed closer "metal to metal" contact without stretching the rubber too much. The original o-ring seemed like it would stretch outside of the boundary of the fitting.

Final Verdict

If you have access to a pressure clamp and making your own stainless steel lines, then I'd recommend just to get the distribution block. While the high pressure setup has quality, the price of $219 is pretty hard to swallow. The distribution block does what it supposed to and is a nice addition to your existing ps line setup in replacement of your leaky hardlines. Despite the o-ring issue, I feel confident this line will hold even if the fluid boils like nuts.

I did receive a call back on the following Monday from Thorough concepts. They were willing to have my car come in and inspect why I am having issues with the O-ring. I declined since I was able to get the issue resolved and gave them feedback as to what I did to resolve my issue. Talk about customer service =P

Please note that my issue with the O-Ring may not occur on others. I know there are people with the same item from Thorough Concepts and did not experience the issues I've been through. When it was installed in my car, it was daily driven for 300 miles and no issues occured. Make note that my 240sx is being used as a dedicated HPDE car.

Thorough Concepts, LLC
08-07-2012, 04:03 PM
Thanks! DJ-of-E. We really appreciate the write-up and review! Great photos too!