View Full Version : Anybody have a 6 puck in dd?

jlmillionaire
07-26-2012, 06:11 PM
Hi all, i have a 6 puck clutch in my s14, the clutch has less then 1000 k on it, when i go into first gear the clutch wants to grab rite away, so i always find myself riding out the clutch in first gear.once in a while ill stall lol, and i noticed too when im shifting gears its not really a smooth transition the car kinda jerks.So in a sense im sort of regretting installing the 6 puck clutch.my question is is there a break in period where the clutch will fill like a stage 1 for daily driving? thanks any input is well appreicated

JANK240
07-26-2012, 06:22 PM
It might get a little better but its still gonna grab hard. Is it sprung or unsprung? The one i had in mine was unsprung and it feels the same from when i installed it.

booey13
07-26-2012, 06:28 PM
Give it more gas. It unfortunately will never feel like a stage 1 unit should get a little better with break in.

!Zar!
07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
If it is unsprung and a 6 puck, it will never feel like an oem clutch.

jlmillionaire
07-26-2012, 06:42 PM
its sprung i got the clutch from jgy, btw is it good for drifting?

zerodameaon
07-27-2012, 04:45 AM
Normal break in periods are 500mi assuming you did normal street driving, not highway, and did not go bash on it right away, what it feels like now is what your stuck with until it starts to need replacing. Its the pressure plate that makes the pedal hard, not so much the amount of pucks which affects how fast it grabs. If you got the one for 300 bucks it doesn't have a name on it so it could be some cheap knock off, if you got the Comp Clutch it will do the job.

jlmillionaire
07-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Yea when I bought it a while ago it wasn't really a name brand I think it was just a Jhuang customs clutch any ways I'm starting to get used to it next time will be something different. But is a 6 puck good for a drift setup?

Drifting Kalamari
07-28-2012, 03:48 AM
I had a stage three six puck unsprung in my daily with a welded diff. I always just give it a tad more gas, I never rode on the clutch! I thought it was fun, a little jerky, only problem is that everyone thinks I'm trying to race them at the light!

jstnpke _ke
07-28-2012, 06:01 AM
I've got the ACT sprung 6 puck and HD pressure plate. Its great! it took some getting used to but once my muscles got adjusted it is easy. It doesnt jerk at all on me now feels like factory just a heavier pedal. and It grabs extremely well. ive done my share of 4k clutch drops and its never slipped in the slightest. Clutch kicks too I cant get it to slip! Ive got the S13 SR20DET 8psi 200 hp and 200 ft lbs.

jlmillionaire
07-28-2012, 06:08 PM
yea guys im starting to get used to the clutch but sometimes i ride it out ouch,but i noticed when i chirp 3rd my car like bucks like its over boosting??

Bentleyness
07-28-2012, 11:34 PM
when i had a 6pluck i learned how to shift smooth, i didnt fully depress my clutch, just enough to take it out of gear and into the next, but only after 1st lol. my friends tell me i shift smooth like an auto car does. plus i learned this so when i have dates in the hard there heads arnt bobbing lol

steve shadows
07-29-2012, 06:51 PM
Just have it sprung...if you're really worried about it... not that big of a deal if you have the right pressure plate paired with it.

Jersthecool
07-29-2012, 07:48 PM
I daily drive my 240 with an exedy stage 2, 3 puck. Takes a bit to get used to but once you do you'll love it.

Silentoreo34
07-29-2012, 08:08 PM
I daily drive my 240 with an exedy stage 2, 3 puck. Takes a bit to get used to but once you do you'll love it

+1 run the same thing and again just gotta get use to it.

fliprayzin240sx
07-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Stop your crying...drive an unsprung ACT 6 puck thru stop and go traffic in San Francisco and you'll have room to complain.

Do you still have the dampner loop? Get rid of it and you'll feel what your clutch is doing, easier to drive it when you can literally feel on your feet when its catching.

zerodameaon
07-30-2012, 12:48 AM
I broke in my CC Stage 4 going from San Diego to the top of the grape vine in stop and go traffic, 7hrs, it will make you get used to it then when you go to something less it will feel like you got a faulty clutch. If it bucks that could be due to that crappy damper right behind the output shaft, not worth replacing unless you get a 1 piece, or your carrier bearing is worn or loose.

S14Lee
07-31-2012, 03:23 PM
Adjust the clutch pedal I was having the same issue when I had my comp clutch stage 4 sprung installed it was grabbing really low and I would keep on stalling out if I didn't give it enough gas.