PDA

View Full Version : Tomei diff install but need help!

NorcalAP2
07-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Hey guys so I bought a Tomei diff off a member here and im looking for some insight on what could have possibly gone wrong.

Its used obviously but it came out of a s13 6 bolt open diff configuration.

I tried to put it into my s14 6 bolt pumpkin that had an open diff in it.

I put in the shims and everything exactly how they were, making sure i knew where which shim went where and on which side.

Now the issues im running into is that it seems as the outshafts are too long, both sides. The snap rings stayed inside the open diff when I pulled out the output shafts. I didnt mark which one was left or right because I figured I wouldnt need to but after a day of trying things I just lost track. The main problem is that it still doesnt fit. I know i have 240 axles because i bought a s13 vlsd diff and it bolted right up since i needed to get the car running.

What the hell could be the problem?

cliffnotes
-came out of s13 that had an open diff in it before the tomei was in it
-putting into s14 open diff config that had an open diff before trying to put the tomei in it
-output shafts dont fit.

something isnt adding up...

please let me know if something could have gone wrong, or anything that i might of missed. I am pretty mechanically inclined but just shoot some stuff out there. thanks for the help!

NorcalAP2
07-17-2012, 10:32 PM
nobody can think of anything?

NorcalAP2
07-18-2012, 04:52 PM
i guess nobody here has a tomei diff

ultimateirving
07-18-2012, 06:09 PM
I know when i went from open to VLSD, i used a different half shaft on the passengerside because it stuck out to far.
luckily the diff i bought had the correct axle to use. and it was definitely shorter by about 1 inches

NorcalAP2
07-18-2012, 06:15 PM
i actually have a set of vlsd shafts and open diff shafts, are you saying you can use the short one from the vlsd and a short halfshaft from the open diff? i think i tried that already but will give it a shot again.

what if the differential isnt for a 240sx rather a 300zx or any other car that utilizes a r200 diff?

NorcalAP2
07-19-2012, 08:11 PM
anybody know if the jdm output shafts for open diff or vlsd are different than usdm?

vq35SMASH
07-30-2012, 07:49 PM
get a open s13 diff and slap it in the 14 maybe? idk shooting from the hip here..lol
i gotta tomei in my s13 and love it =]