PDA

View Full Version : Attempted burglary/theft of S14 on 7/14

SouthpawPL
07-15-2012, 10:31 AM
{cross-posted on tech forum}
I have a '98 Kouki LE with electric windows. My car was burgled on Saturday and the thief got in by somehow opening my driver's side electric window!

My question is: how is this possible?!

I left the window ajar about 1/2 an inch to an inch when I parked. I'm positive of this because I went back after shutting the car down and closed it more from where I had originally had left it at about two inches.

At 2:45 a.m., my alarm sounded. I was at the car within a minute and found the window wide open! Evidence of someone rummaging about, broke my center console lid. Nothing taken, fortunately.

But how the hell! did they get my window open?

Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

LOUD240
07-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Ok first off , you left your window cracked open which makes it easy to push the window down.The regulators on 240's are cable driven and very easy to manualy move

Its not brain surgery , and def not worth 2 threads

kornaz
07-16-2012, 01:49 AM
240s are just a basic easiest to brake in, even if ya have the window not a crack open. And what LOUD240 said.

SouthpawPL
07-16-2012, 03:02 AM
Loud240; I tried to open the window from the same position. I was putting enough pressure on it that I was worried about breaking the glass and I was tilting the car. The window didn't budge.
Also, I would have appreciated the reply more without the attitude.

kornaz; judging from your sig line I'm willing to bet you don't have a girlfriend.

fliprayzin240sx
07-16-2012, 08:57 PM
Loud240; I tried to open the window from the same position. I was putting enough pressure on it that I was worried about breaking the glass and I was tilting the car. The window didn't budge.
Also, I would have appreciated the reply more without the attitude.

kornaz; judging from your sig line I'm willing to bet you don't have a girlfriend.

You know whats the difference between you and the guy who broke into your car? He didnt give a fuck and pushed on the glass as hard as he could. You, not wanting to fuck up your car, would no way in hell exert the same amount of effort into it.

Chaluska
07-16-2012, 09:03 PM
yes... and the window regulator is NOT cable driven, its gear driven...

s14 > http://www.slidegood.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5a2c14e15267eac9cad207bd7b2f8bbe/i/m/image_29110.jpg

the window can be pulled far enough to get your hand in there..ive left my keys in once before. got the window pulled far enough out to fit a pry bar in the door to unlock with lock.

OutlawLui
07-16-2012, 09:06 PM
lululu l'z

Damn this remind me that i need a Alarm on my car bad!!!

What Alarm are you using btw?

is it the one that tells you wen someone opens your door?

fliprayzin240sx
07-16-2012, 09:14 PM
lululu l'z

Damn this remind me that i need a Alarm on my car bad!!!

What Alarm are you using btw?

is it the one that tells you wen someone opens your door?

Probably, alarm didnt go off till the guy opened the door. Guess he pushed down the window and didnt even trigger the shock sensors.

Tantwoforty
07-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Dont leave your windows open at night.. no shit someone messed with it...

Tantwoforty
07-16-2012, 09:22 PM
Probably, alarm didnt go off till the guy opened the door. Guess he pushed down the window and didnt even trigger the shock sensors.

yeah he probly just leaned in and rummaged around, opend the door and it went off and he ran..
Dose the alarm sense the hood?
If not he could have disabled it from there

fliprayzin240sx
07-17-2012, 01:50 PM
yeah he probly just leaned in and rummaged around, opend the door and it went off and he ran..
Dose the alarm sense the hood?
If not he could have disabled it from there

Theres usually an added switch you drill in the engine bay for the hood sensor. When the sensor gets grounded (hood opened) the alarm will go off. Interior wise, its usually tied into the dome light/door switch.

Kevin920415
07-19-2012, 12:32 AM
oh shit.. happened in oc.. better gear up with those alarms and all.

SouthpawPL
07-19-2012, 02:54 AM
Thanks for the input, guys.
It's a Nissan OEM alarm, with hood and shock sensors. My guess is he got the window open, leaned in and rummaged around as best he could. When he tried to open the door, he set off the door sensor. Minor damage to the console lid hinge: nothing I can't fix.

OC members please note: the Nice Policeman told me that there is a new trend in auto burglaries in So Cal.
Thieves are taking registration cards!
He recommended that I not keep that in the car. I don't know what the goblins do with them, but be aware...

koukikat180sx
07-19-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the input, guys.
It's a Nissan OEM alarm, with hood and shock sensors. My guess is he got the window open, leaned in and rummaged around as best he could. When he tried to open the door, he set off the door sensor. Minor damage to the console lid hinge: nothing I can't fix.

OC members please note: the Nice Policeman told me that there is a new trend in auto burglaries in So Cal.
Thieves are taking registration cards!
He recommended that I not keep that in the car. I don't know what the goblins do with them, but be aware...

i can totally agree. when my civic got stolen they took the registration card as well. since then i don't leave them in any of my cars.