PDA

View Full Version : 2 subs to a monoblock amp?

Ghettokracker71
02-22-2004, 05:22 PM
I'm wondering if its possible to hook up 2 subs to a monoblock amp....I have a mono amp(Bazooka ELA500W) and I've got my freinds speakers right now,their 2 P. Miller series Bazooka subs,12"....I hooked up the one,and the other is just wasting weight....I thought I've seen it done before...

nightwalker
02-22-2004, 05:35 PM
give me some specs here. What ohms are the subs? are they DVC? what ohm load is the amp stable at? is the amp bridgable? also RMS rating of subs and amp, not the max.

Ghettokracker71
02-22-2004, 06:42 PM
The subs are mounted in an MTX box,they are Bazooka P. Miller series 12 inchers....the amp is a Bazooka ELA500W...its 350 RMS @4ohms,and [email protected] stable.....I don't know about the rating on the subs,...or if they are DVC

the box has two sets of speaker inlets,one per sub,and my amp only has one set(pos and neg) of speaker outlets...its a mono block subwoofer amp.

FWIW the sub pounds like a motherf**** compared to my original sub choice...and I've only got one hooked up....I had an Infinity Kappa Perfect 10.1D

EDIT:I tried ghetto wiring it....by hooking 2 sets of speaker wires into the amp....as in,two positive into the pos. on the amp,and etc....but that didn't work too well....I had bass from both subs,but it was like hardly any :down: ....less then my single 10 inch,but when I hooked up the single one....OMG hardest hitting sub I've ever heard:rawk:

Ghettokracker71
02-22-2004, 06:46 PM
on second thought....I think I just want to run one 12 as hard as that mofo hits ....anybody know if it will fit under the hatch cover??? the box they are in currently doesn't :(

EDIT:I've been thinking about this wayy too damn much!

my biggest thing is....I won't be able to change box's that they are in for a while,and I'm addicted to the way they hit:eek3d: ....so if I have to haul around the second sub,I am wondering if there is a way I can listen to it as well...and maybe even keep it without changing amps or adding another one....my freind(currently owns them) says that a mono amp will power them both

Ghettokracker71
02-22-2004, 08:13 PM
This is what they look like

http://www.bazooka.com/product_feature.asp?id=212&pg=2

RedlineRacer
02-23-2004, 06:08 AM
That amp is a great amp if you can keep it cool. It really puts out almost 500 watts. I have it hooked up to two Alpine Type-S subs mounted in a custom box, and it hits like a bitch. I hits so hard that my radar detector literally jumps off my windshield. But like I said, thats if you can keep it cool. I had to cut a circle and mounted a fan on it. If you don't it will overheat and turn off for a few minutes and then come back on. But I have the EL1500 amp, which is the exact same as the ELA500 just with a different bikini cover. I don't know about Bazooka subs tho. I've never liked them. I think Alpine are much better for the money. Just make sure you hook up your subs parrallel. If you don't, you blow you subs cause they wont have enough wattage.

DriftXtreem
02-23-2004, 07:46 AM
Your current set up with the two subs in one box and only one powered wil bang like a ***** what you have done inadvertantly is built a pasive radiater system. This is a easy way to get bass out of a small speaker. If you hook up both you will only gain another 3 DB. You are in the audio limbo. As far as your amp it is stable to 2ohm. If your speakers are four ohm you can wire it parallel. If they are 2 ohm which I doubt you would run them seiries. For a paralell hook up its speaker positive and positive conected to the positive speaker out on the amp. Negitive to negitive and to the negitive out on the amp. Then you will need to tune your gain. What is the out put of your deck is it the run of the mill 500mv or does it have a built in line driver. If you have a line driver and increase the output from the deck you can tune down the gain on the amp. This will help the amp run cooler because it is reproducing a stonger signal from the deck.
Good luck

Ghettokracker71
02-23-2004, 09:38 AM
Your current set up with the two subs in one box and only one powered wil bang like a ***** what you have done inadvertantly is built a pasive radiater system. This is a easy way to get bass out of a small speaker. If you hook up both you will only gain another 3 DB. You are in the audio limbo. As far as your amp it is stable to 2ohm. If your speakers are four ohm you can wire it parallel. If they are 2 ohm which I doubt you would run them seiries. For a paralell hook up its speaker positive and positive conected to the positive speaker out on the amp. Negitive to negitive and to the negitive out on the amp. Then you will need to tune your gain. What is the out put of your deck is it the run of the mill 500mv or does it have a built in line driver. If you have a line driver and increase the output from the deck you can tune down the gain on the amp. This will help the amp run cooler because it is reproducing a stonger signal from the deck.
Good luck
dude,you have gotten over my knowledge with the head unit thing! Its an older clarion proaudio....thats all I know,I have the box and the manual somewhere...

Question:To wire them parralel,whats the best way to run two wires into the amps pos,and neg outlets?

I tried "ghetto wiring" wich was two speaker wires into the pos,and the neg,then one speaker wire directly to one sub,and the other to the second sub.....that didn't work to well:(

ANYWAY thanks for all the responce,I didn't think I would get any,I will post back if the parralel wiring works!

Redline:I never thought much of bazooka subs,until I heard these babys pound.....wow! Where did you mount your amp? I mounted mine on my back seat,and I haven't had any trouble with it overheating,and I always listen to my stereo,everywhere I go...

EDIT:I am going to try parralel(sp) wiring,and if that doesn't work...then,I'll post,and if it does...then I'll definitely post

DriftXtreem
02-23-2004, 09:54 AM
do what I drew in the thumbnail pic. that is both parallel and series.

Ghettokracker71
02-23-2004, 09:57 AM
do what I drew in the thumbnail pic. that is both parallel and series.

Ghettokracker71
02-23-2004, 11:02 AM
I wired them parrelel....and they didn't hit very good,so I switched wich wire was doing what,so now I've got Rockford Fosgate Riot Gamme 15AWG to my positives,and some audio-shop brand 15AWG going to my negatives....thanks guys,it sounds so badass! I rehooked the single,to compare....the 2 definitely sound better,now I don't have to drag around a "dead woofer" .....next step is wiring up my stiffening capacitor! :)

mrmephistopheles
02-23-2004, 11:52 AM
this should be in ot.. *moving*

Ghettokracker71
02-27-2004, 01:08 PM
The subs are wired parrelel now,and I have my stiffening cap. wired up,but I think I am overheating my damn amp now. When I listen to it,the bass will cut out for a couple of seconds after maybe two medium bass songs(50 Cent-get rich or die trying) or 1 really bass heavy song(any lil jon song),and then it will do that a couple of times....and my bass won't work at all,for a while,I haven't been able to time out the while,but its a while.And its really frustrating.....does that sound like overheating?