PDA

View Full Version : New to me Z32

Nec Z32
07-11-2012, 10:52 AM
Well I just picked up a 1990 NA 2+2 Stick, Pearl White Z. The Car belonged to my dad. The car runs well and is basically stock. My dad sold it to me cheap because he bought a 370. The Dealership he went to was gonna give him 1800 for trade, so he sold it to me for that much. The Dealer has done pretty much all the maintance on car since my dad picked it up in 03. The car has 168k miles and has had everything done engine wise since my dad has had it( Head gasket,timing belt, water pump ) But i was wondering if i should start looking at full rebuild kit so that i can continue to drive it for years to come. Side note the suspension is also probably needs a freshening up, it feels rather soft compared to when my dad first got it and on the hwy it shimmys a touch over road joints/on of bridges. besides new shocks and springs is there a master bushing kit out there that will bring the car back to a tight feel?

Ineedparts
07-11-2012, 02:01 PM
Congrats, I too have a 90 2+2. I will have a set of eibach springs and kyb gas adjustables available soon. Energy master bushings set is what you need!

Nec Z32
07-15-2012, 09:59 PM
so mini update, should be in florida at the end of the month to start on the car and get pics up.

dawagarage
07-15-2012, 10:23 PM
having already had the head gasket, timing belt & water pump replaced, you still definitely have a lot of life left in it, especially it doesnt get the same abuse as a TT. but at about the 160k mark is a good time to extend it's life with a full rebuild.

TWest
07-23-2012, 10:50 AM
Congrats, I just picked up a 2+2 as well.

Nec Z32
07-30-2012, 03:54 PM
well guys my fuel pump took a crap and left me stranded a couple days ago. anyone know where i can get a good pump under 200 bucks.

dantheman300z
08-04-2012, 08:56 AM
300zxclub.com or twinturbo.net are the best places to look for used parts. Lots of guys parting out Z32's with good used pumps.

Nec Z32
08-04-2012, 08:32 PM
thanks, i got the new pump wednesday, runs ok, but now the car feels like its missing. it hesitates at a little when i get on it and then it pulls just fine.
think i'm gonna park her for a while and save some cash up to take her to the dealer to get her looked over.

dantheman300z
08-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Do you know how to run codes on the ecu?

Here: http://www.ttzd.com/tech/diagnostictech.html

Nec Z32
08-17-2012, 08:18 AM
thanks man, gonna try this out, Guy at the local nissan dealer said the engine Harness needed to be replaced or atleast new connectors on several sensors, also I have an exhaust leak :(

dantheman300z
08-17-2012, 03:14 PM
Coil pack connectors and injector connectors can be found in the classified section of twinturbo.net. The exhaust leak is an easy fix. Just figure out where it's at and go get a gasket at the autoparts store. The nuts and bolts on the exhaust are probably rusted.

Znotes
08-17-2012, 05:44 PM
I too just purchased a 2 2 few months back for daily work commute, fun to drive.

Maximilianaire
09-09-2012, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a healthy old Z. Just picked up my 91 NA 2+2 and wanted to know if you guys did the timing belt or had a shop do it... I'm looking to do mine real soon. Trying to figure out whether to pull the engine or pay a shop, need rough labor quotes from someone.
Thanks and good luck with your car.

And thanks Dantheman! That's a great link!

jr_ss
09-11-2012, 04:47 PM
having already had the head gasket, timing belt & water pump replaced, you still definitely have a lot of life left in it, especially it doesnt get the same abuse as a TT. but at about the 160k mark is a good time to extend it's life with a full rebuild.

The VG motor is a durable/robust engine and will last a long time. No need for a full rebuild unless it absolutely needs it.

I have a VG30E with 250k miles on it and it still runs great, it is however starting to show its age though.

MalditoJay
09-27-2012, 04:33 PM
Where you located? I do timing belts and waters pumps on Z's for $400 no engine pull is needed. A local shop will probably charge you $700 or so in labor alone.

Chronox2
10-03-2012, 12:54 AM
You don't need a rebuild kit, If the car is driving good no need to mess with it. Now if you have the space why not buy a TT engine and start investing on the VG30DETT so then you could do the swap? That's what I would do. If not the upgrade the body, with suspension, brakes, JDM lights, exhaust, and lightweight stuff.

Bushings
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product_info.php?products_id=3015

Get familiar with the Z shops.
Www.Z1motorsports.com
Www.conceptzperformance.com
Www.specialtyz.com
Www.ashspecz.com

Maximilianaire
10-04-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm in Florida, talked to Nissan and a smaller specialty shop and got a quote right around your estimated cost. That's just too much for me man.
If you were here I'd have no problem with $400. I'm just going to get this done myself, following instructions online, with some elbow grease and patience.
Thanks for throwing out the offer though, Bud.

MalditoJay
10-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Yeah man take your time, just make sure you have all the tools you need, cause going back and forth looking for the right tools will drive you nuts. Also make sure the motor is at TDC just to make life easier. Good luck, if you need any help PM me.

Chronox2
10-04-2012, 09:29 PM
I got a friend in Florida that can do it...

Maximilianaire
10-06-2012, 07:50 AM
Thanks MalditoJAy,
We'll see how it goes, I'll let you know about questions before I get into deep sh*t.
Thanks again, man.
Cronox2,
Pretty sure I'll be tackling bad boy this myself, but if you wanna PM me your Fla friend's info. he might be close and convenient.
Appreciate it.

Chronox2
10-06-2012, 08:18 PM
Well we can all ship in and help.

thedeadking
11-16-2012, 07:23 AM
For those needing help in FL, I highly recommend contacting Harry aka ztuner, located in Sarasota. He does excellent work and is regarded highly on both 300zxclub.com and twinturbo.net. Don't waste your money at the dealership.

Ztuner.com (http://www.ztuner.com/index.html)