PDA

View Full Version : HELP! wont rev past 2400

s13andy
02-20-2004, 03:38 PM
hey guys iv been having some troubleswith the S13, it wont rev past 2400rpm's andits not consistant, sometimes it will and some times it wont, but when it doest its all ways at 2400. it def feels electrical, we'v taken all the standerd things, did a tuen up new plugs wires cap rotor new fuel filter and its still doing it. if any one might have an idea of what it sould be, please im open for suggestions.

Dream240
02-20-2004, 04:06 PM
hey guys iv been having some troubleswith the S13, it wont rev past 2400rpm's andits not consistant, sometimes it will and some times it wont, but when it doest its all ways at 2400. it def feels electrical, we'v taken all the standerd things, did a tuen up new plugs wires cap rotor new fuel filter and its still doing it. if any one might have an idea of what it sould be, please im open for suggestions.

It could be the MAF sensor. How many miles you got? If you're over 100k replace it anyways (preventive maintenance). That might solve your problem.

bbreese
02-20-2004, 04:12 PM
thats exactly what I was going to say. When I had my 300zx the same symptoms happened to me, I would say check the maf first.

Wei240
02-20-2004, 05:27 PM
so, how do you go about checking the MAF, what do you exactly check for (aside from it being dirty)?
i have a similar symptom but not quite as bad..

skatanic28
02-20-2004, 07:25 PM
did you try checkin the ecu for codes?
im not sure but i think the code is 12 for mafs. sounds like thats what your problem is though

mandoz85
02-20-2004, 07:39 PM
If you need a MAF, I have Two for sale.
email me at [email protected]

bbreese
02-20-2004, 07:55 PM
the dealership can test out the maf, or if someone lives around you, just swap them out and see if that fixes the problem.

adey
02-21-2004, 01:31 AM
You're probably in "limp mode."
Pull out your ECU (pass. side kickpanel) and pull codes; see what you can find! (with car in "on" position, turn screw to dot, hold for 3 secs then turn back to normal; will flash a few times - long flash = 10, small flash =1. long/long/long/long/long, short/short/short/short/short means code 55, which (in my '93) is an "all clear" code meaning A-OK.)

That would be a good place to start.

Dream240
02-21-2004, 08:39 AM
thats exactly what I was going to say. When I had my 300zx the same symptoms happened to me, I would say check the maf first.

You know no that you mention the 300zx, s13andy you could just replace the 240 MAF with a 300zx MAF. Will give you that little extra pwoer taht we all search for. Hey every little bit helps.

To locate and replace the MAF, follow your original air piping from the throttle body back over the RAD and right before it goes into air filter box, there's a small section that looks like a little square box, kinda shiny plastic, that's your MAF. Just disconnect that portion and take it to be tested or swap in a new one.

Good luck.

duey
02-22-2004, 01:27 PM
i just had THAT same exact problem with my s13, and all i had to do was replace the MAF. After two days of trying to figure it out i finally decided to just "wiggle" the MAF and the car went back to normal for a bit, so i bought a new MAF and the car runs good as new.

oh also, on the plug that goes to the MAF put a multimeter on the black wire and make sure it's reading .0v-.02v if your getting a different reading you'll need to run a separate ground wire from the plug to a ground point on your intake manifold.

Redtop_240
02-22-2004, 06:40 PM
It is 100% the MAF....replace it or suffer the short cut of fuel and possible ring failure due to running rich as hell.......Ive had this problem happen to me on every nissan I have ever owned (unfortunately).........I would have this issue taken care of or it will cause you problems sooner than later........The after effects of running rich for 2 weeks can cause the engine to do odd things for the rest of its running life.......Trust me on this one.......Get a new MAF............

ryan hagen
02-22-2004, 07:46 PM
You know no that you mention the 300zx, s13andy you could just replace the 240 MAF with a 300zx MAF. Will give you that little extra pwoer taht we all search for. Hey every little bit helps.

To locate and replace the MAF, follow your original air piping from the throttle body back over the RAD and right before it goes into air filter box, there's a small section that looks like a little square box, kinda shiny plastic, that's your MAF. Just disconnect that portion and take it to be tested or swap in a new one.

Good luck.

i m pretty sure your car wont run right if you do this, you have to tune for running a z-maf..............

cowbomb
02-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Maf Fasho >>>> I Had The Same Problem!

the head
02-23-2004, 02:39 PM
Dream 240
300zx MAF alone adds NO POWER it is the fact that the it can meter more air than the stock 240 MAF ALSO you must use somthing setup for 300zx maf (ECU tune or SAFC) to make it run right

on a side note i have two KA24E mafs with plugs (will also work on SR)
and one S13 SR MAF that are all for sale

joho101
02-26-2004, 07:55 PM
hey head how much for the sr maf?

bbreese
02-26-2004, 08:01 PM
It is 100% the MAF....replace it or suffer the short cut of fuel and possible ring failure due to running rich as hell.......Ive had this problem happen to me on every nissan I have ever owned (unfortunately).........I would have this issue taken care of or it will cause you problems sooner than later........The after effects of running rich for 2 weeks can cause the engine to do odd things for the rest of its running life.......Trust me on this one.......Get a new MAF............

how the hell could you stand driving with a busted maf for two weeks? When mine went out it took me 2 hours to get home and the first thing I did was get a good maf. Not being able to wring out any power sucks.

nissandrift
02-26-2004, 10:50 PM
If you have a multimeter you can check your mafs. You should be getting approx 14.5 volts going in, 0-0.02 on the ground, and 1.2 volts sending to ECU at idle. I had the same problem, but turned out my ECU was bad. Fixed it last week and I have two extra 91-94 MAFS laying around. If you want one, Ill sell cheap. my AIM is ETSUrider, and email is [email protected]

Dream240
02-27-2004, 07:40 AM
Dream 240
300zx MAF alone adds NO POWER it is the fact that the it can meter more air than the stock 240 MAF ALSO you must use somthing setup for 300zx maf (ECU tune or SAFC) to make it run right

on a side note i have two KA24E mafs with plugs (will also work on SR)
and one S13 SR MAF that are all for sale

Interesting, I don't have a 300zx MAF, but I've just heard guys recommending it for future modding. Makes sense though, no added power, cause all it really does is read intake air flow right? To be honest I'm not really sure how much added power you can get from it anyways. Maybe alot from high boost levels.
hmmm.....

later.