PDA

View Full Version : Sizzling sound from cat?

sticky240
02-20-2004, 07:13 AM
I've had this problom since I changed my radiator last week.

My check engine light came on after I did the rad. I checked everything related to swapping out the rad and I'm pretty sure I did it right. One thing I noteced thought, when driving and shifting up a gear it would make like a sizzling sound from were I think the catalytic converter is. Also when stepping off the gas at high rpms (4k-5k).

When I had some free time, i checked the diagnostic code on the ecu and it was 45 (Injector leak) so today I plan on going through each injector and checking whats wrong. My miles per tank has gone down a little (by like 10 or 15 miles) from before the radiator swap and this check engine light. I did look at each injector and and I don't see fuel so thats good. Gonna check the sparks plugs for fuel as well. Hopefully its just an o-ring.

So any idea on my sizzling cat problom? I havn't got down and checked it yet, but could some fluid drip on their resulting in a "sizzle".
:-/

Dream240
02-20-2004, 02:26 PM
I've had this problom since I changed my radiator last week.

My check engine light came on after I did the rad. I checked everything related to swapping out the rad and I'm pretty sure I did it right. One thing I noteced thought, when driving and shifting up a gear it would make like a sizzling sound from were I think the catalytic converter is. Also when stepping off the gas at high rpms (4k-5k).

When I had some free time, i checked the diagnostic code on the ecu and it was 45 (Injector leak) so today I plan on going through each injector and checking whats wrong. My miles per tank has gone down a little (by like 10 or 15 miles) from before the radiator swap and this check engine light. I did look at each injector and and I don't see fuel so thats good. Gonna check the sparks plugs for fuel as well. Hopefully its just an o-ring.

So any idea on my sizzling cat problom? I havn't got down and checked it yet, but could some fluid drip on their resulting in a "sizzle".
:-/

Well, it could be that the two aren't even directly related. Just a matter of bad timing. Changing out your raditator shouldn't throw an engine light at all unless you forgot to put coolant in the rad afterwards.
The sizzle could be a clogged cat, or maybe something you drove over got caught on something underneath? Definitely get under there and look around and feel for a loose bolt, or part or something. That could be it too. You say it's 4k-5k that's pretty high revs, you're looking a extreme engine movement=possible engine rattl somewhere.

Injector leak code sounds like either an injector or the fuel rail or a fuel rail connected fuel line. Check aroudn that area for gas leaks too. I'ts kinda tough cause there's some rubber hoses underneath the fuel rail that connect to it that get really hard and crack. I didn;t find them until I removed my upper intake manifold section. So look around there too.

Good luck hope this helps.

sticky240
02-20-2004, 03:26 PM
thanks

well I checked it out and cleared the ecu code and it hasn't come back. My idle is still good at 750.

I did notice some oil around were the valve cover meets the block, I guess were the head gasket goes? I might need to replace this if their is oil coming out correct (duh!)

I wasn't able to jack my car up to check under to see whats sizzling cause it started drizzling (no rap intended). I'm kinda hoping its my cat going out cause it gives me an excuse to get a nice catco one to replace it with.

oh well I'll see

Dream240
02-20-2004, 04:04 PM
thanks

well I checked it out and cleared the ecu code and it hasn't come back. My idle is still good at 750.

I did notice some oil around were the valve cover meets the block, I guess were the head gasket goes? I might need to replace this if their is oil coming out correct (duh!)

I wasn't able to jack my car up to check under to see whats sizzling cause it started drizzling (no rap intended). I'm kinda hoping its my cat going out cause it gives me an excuse to get a nice catco one to replace it with.

oh well I'll see

Wait, you mean where the valve cover meets the HEAD right? That's not the head gasket. The head gasket is the one that goes between the HEAD and the BLOCK. The one your talking about is the valve cover gasket. That's much easier to replace. TRUST ME. Head gaskets are not for the novice mechanic.

Yeah get a new CAT anyways. Better flow, MORE POWER!!!!

sticky240
02-20-2004, 09:50 PM
haha oops,

ok man Thanks