PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass hood.

Gladman
02-19-2004, 09:02 PM
I already have a black car, so buying a CF hood just for having the CF look seems pointless, i be more or less buying it for weigh reduction.

So id much rather buy a fiberglass hood and have it painted. I did a seach and found tons of info on CF hoods, but nothing about FG hoods.... anyone in NA sell lightweigh OEM style FG hoods?

Ghettokracker71
02-19-2004, 09:07 PM
Gladman.....my favorite Zilvia member! :goyou:

I have no had experience with the 240sx and FG hoods....but I have with many of chevells/novas/camaros....etc.

Theres a reason why you found nothing about them! Everycar I have ridden with that has one,it sucks.Plain and simple.It rattles,and shakes and vibrates,and twists and turns.....not to mention is not very strong...talk about being "owned" in a wreck:(

My $0.02 !

Gladman
02-19-2004, 09:10 PM
Hehe good to know.

Whos the guy in cali that sells the 5lb Cf hoods?

Ghettokracker71
02-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Hehe good to know.

Whos the guy in cali that sells the 5lb Cf hoods?
DAMNIT ! I found that guy before....let me see if I saved it....I remeber seeing somebody selling C-F hoods online and it said "weighs less than 5lbs" I thinking :confused:wtf?

Hmm...apparently I can't find that link:(....I want to know ,too!

I wonder how he does it,ya know? I bet its just less C-F used...makes me suspicious of 'em.....

sykikchimp
02-19-2004, 09:14 PM
WTF? I've seen plenty of well made fiberglass hoods.. Matter of fact I've never seen one do the things your talking about unless it had no frame on it?

Most CF hoods are actually fibreglass hoods with CF overlay.

Ghettokracker71
02-19-2004, 09:14 PM
WTF? I've seen plenty of well made fiberglass hoods.. Matter of fact I've never seen one do the things your talking about unless it had no frame on it?

Most CF hoods are actually fibreglass hoods with CF overlay.
well all the ones I've seen were on domestic muscle cars....that has proble something to do with it ! lol

S13FREEAAK
02-19-2004, 09:16 PM
phase2motortrend.com has a fiberglass hood with cf overlay that is just under 5 lbs.

Gladman
02-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Yeah i dont care what its made out of, as long as its goin to look semi-stock.

I plan on running hood pins so FG skeleton is not a must. single or dual layer CF would serve me just fine...

Ghettokracker71
02-19-2004, 09:23 PM
http://www.store.yahoo.com/phase2motorsports/sustcafiho.html

180sx is pop-ups right? I know that sounds stupid....anybody got the "sunny" hood ? The pic isn't real good,and it'd be cool to talk to ppl with it before buying it!

EDIT:the 180sx one doesn't look like all that great of C-F....maybe its just the pic

Gladman
02-19-2004, 09:25 PM
Thats the one... i remember it now.. someone posted that link on NWN. thanks. Im probably gonna order one this week.

Ghettokracker71
02-19-2004, 09:32 PM
Thats the one... i remember it now.. someone posted that link on NWN. thanks. Im probably gonna order one this week.
gotta post what you think of that shit once its on....and pics....etc

EDIT:Hey I'm wondering something else about it,since its C-F covered FG...when you open the hood,what does the bottum of the hood look like :hyper:

Gladman
02-19-2004, 09:44 PM
Black. Looks fine.

The Cf hood on my lude was CF overlayed on FG.

But im thinking, if i do get this hood i might even cut more of the skeleton away... you can never be too light.

Ghettokracker71
02-19-2004, 09:45 PM
Black. Looks fine.

But im thinking, if i do get this hood i might even cut more of the skeleton away... you can never be too light.
dammmmmmn boy! you like hacking and cutting and changing things don't yah :)

Gladman
02-19-2004, 10:05 PM
Pretty much... how do you make a cf hood better? You make it lighter...

Dousan_PG
02-19-2004, 10:08 PM
said fb hood sucks

STFU

i have lots of friends overseas with them and they love them. rattle? haha
ruf has msports and likes it a lot, never mentioned about problems with rattling

Gladman
02-19-2004, 10:27 PM
CF and FG are almost exactly the same.

CF and FG hoods are made with the exact same resins.
Both would rattle equally if they're cheap.

CF is a bit stronger, which isnt really better... unless you wanna have you head cut off in a front end collision... i know i do :D

matlock
02-19-2004, 11:39 PM
Gladman, you should make your own FG hood since you are the master fabricatior.
Dousan - I have also never heard anything bad about them, I was going to get a CF hood for my coupe and did some research and asking and wasn't told about rattling, etc.

Kain_Pabyeda
02-19-2004, 11:51 PM
Black. Looks fine.

It can be too light when your going too fast. If you cut the frame out, it'll warp and flex after you hit 30mph. It won't look too good cruisin down the road.

Jeff240sx
02-19-2004, 11:56 PM
The more you pay, the more carbon fiber you can get, and the less 'glass. Fiberglass is nearly as heavy as sheetmetal (how else would my old Corvette weigh 3300 pounds?) There are companies out there that will custom make a 100% CF race hood for you, but expect to bring the checkbook. No, not that one. The BIG checkbook.
-Jeff

brokenben
02-20-2004, 12:05 AM
i remember fibreimages out in palmdale made my friend a full carbon fibre hood. i remember it was full.. cuz it was cut all raw and you could see carbon fibre thru the whole thing.. .. the edges were still sharp!

Gladman
02-20-2004, 03:33 AM
Gladman, you should make your own FG hood since you are the master fabricatior.
Dousan - I have also never heard anything bad about them, I was going to get a CF hood for my coupe and did some research and asking and wasn't told about rattling, etc.

Hehe, i donated my factory prelude hood to get a mold made last year, did a group buy and sold 17... thats about as close as ill get to making my own hoods :hsdance: