PDA

View Full Version : S13 KA Trans issues/advice

DumpBox
06-08-2012, 08:53 AM
Alright, well i'm not too sure what to do about my trans issues so i'm looking for some help. This is my first S chassis so i am quite a newb.

At idle with the clutch in my trans is quiet and makes virtually no noise. When i let out, its hisses and chirps a little bit. When i begin to let out in first gear it makes a high pitched whining sound until the clutch is all the way out. In (any)gear(after first)driving it, it makes no noise just some slight hissing. However when i'm coming to a stop after downshifting, if its in any gear it does a few loud chirps even with the clutch in.

Is it the pilot bearing? Or should i replace the whole trans? Anyone else had these issues?

Thanks

97nismo
06-08-2012, 10:09 AM
what u have is a ka transmission...welcome to the s chassis scene....and if you cant replace it yourself cause its gonna happen more and more.....sell it now...i have a very nice sr setup and motor runs top notch and i have went through so many transmissions is almost comical....and each have had there own issue.
1st one did go in reverse and popped out of 4th alot
2nd one leaked fluid but shifted fine
3rd one had drain plug stripped....completely trashed it trying to get it out

so....they can be had cheap enough and to answer your question it sounds like it probably has some issues could run redline to see if that helps

but it could be anything to tob to pilot bushing to just shitty clutch or low on fluid...

johnnysombrero
06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
I'd check and see what the clutch looks like first. It might just be on its way out.

DumpBox
06-08-2012, 01:36 PM
The clutch is new. I just bought a trans for 100 bucks. Im gonna swap it and see what happens. Is 80w-90 gear oil Acceptable? Or just 75w?

97nismo
06-11-2012, 07:00 AM
redline mt 90....the its 75-90w

beno1987
06-11-2012, 10:46 PM
I've had a similar problem, when my clutch is up On idle it would make some sort of weird noise, when i press the clutch down it would be silent, so i thought it was my clutch so i bought a new one a EXEDY CLUTCH, i also put in the new pilot shaft bearing that came with the kit, and the new TOB, had the flywheel resurfaced, inexpensive. it still made that noise, so it wasnt my clutch, then later i find out it was the INPUT SHAFT BEARING in your tranny making that whining sound. It will go out, mines busted and ive found bits of the ball bearings all the way to the speed sensor motor, it was a mess, my solution was to just get another 5spd tranny, ive put 55k on my new/used one i bought from craigslist for 120 that had 149k miles on it. either get it rebuilt for alot of money, junkyard for 120. its easy to install just get the allignment right the first time, and find a way to take those flywheel bolts off. its gonna hurt.