PDA

View Full Version : ABS vs Non ABS.. Let's see what people want and discuss

K_style
05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
This seems to be no-brainer. But let see what the out come is.

Please vote what your would prefer for your "Daily + Track" vehicle. And reply with what your comment or opinion for your decision.

ABS or Non ABS ?

Let the battle begin !!

future
05-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Im no pro racer but on the street i like abs. Feel safer

joeboo1
05-29-2012, 11:12 PM
my foot is my ABS lol

chinabean
05-30-2012, 06:53 AM
I'm curious for the answers for this question as well, I have abs on my car but disabled due to it locking up my rears...a lot of people say they don't feel safe without etc..but idk.

future
05-30-2012, 08:39 AM
I think if i actually put a good sets of tires so i can slam the brakes (emergancy) and not lock them up.

Im curious on the track what people like

bussitcustoms
05-30-2012, 08:42 AM
I went through great lengths to keep abs in my car after doing a redtop swap into a '98. If it was a track only car, I'd delete it. But it's a street car that will see rain and occasionally snow. I'll take the abs, thanks.

K_style
05-30-2012, 09:20 AM
For me, I have owned mostly non ABS vehicle so whenever I drive ABS vehicle, it seems it is working again of my will.

I think that is best I could describe.

Black R
05-30-2012, 09:25 AM
Abs all day.

I can stop in shorter distances than you!

Highway Riding
05-30-2012, 02:25 PM
voted = NON ABS

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
05-30-2012, 08:16 PM
non ABS. that fucking unit is always in the way of something, and when you start swapping parts off different cars, the sensors can be a pain.

chinabean
05-31-2012, 09:17 AM
sensors are expensive as fck.

Califunky
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
Abs for the daily golf (rabbit) because it works, no abs in my 13 as it didnt work - no point carrying extra weight around for nothing.

Beejis60
05-31-2012, 08:26 PM
If you're a starting racer, non-ABS is best so you learn how to drive without the ABS, aka not learning bad habits.
If just DDing, it doesn't matter much since Nissan ABS is horrid. I want to do the S2k ABS retrofit that some FD folk are/were attempting.

davidgray-s13
06-03-2012, 05:40 PM
non-ABS for my DD, but i drive the streets like it is one BIG track, in little to no traffic of course i respect the drivers around me and other people's safety.

illvialuver
06-03-2012, 11:52 PM
I have abs on my car and wish I didnt.

I have the fuse pulled so it does not function, but the biggest drawback is how much damn space it takes up in the engine bay.

YellowFox
06-06-2012, 03:10 AM
'98 Kouki with no ABS.

nymphoprkinglot
06-07-2012, 03:00 PM
My s-chassis saw 8 years of SoCal street driving with Non-ABS, rain and shine. Never once was I upset that I didn't have ABS. If you've got a good/great set of tires and enough time spent behind the wheel, a non-abs equipped 90s vintage Nissan will out perform an ABS equipped one. Simply put the abs from most 90s vehicles, especially Japanese imports have issues. They were designed for use by the everyday public.

A modern day ABS unit, on the other hand, is a different story. Especially the ones equipped to the higher performance vehicles, s2k, m3, amg mercs, etc.

Mangudai
06-08-2012, 09:44 AM
My s-chassis saw 8 years of SoCal street driving with Non-ABS, rain and shine. Never once was I upset that I didn't have ABS. If you've got a good/great set of tires and enough time spent behind the wheel, a non-abs equipped 90s vintage Nissan will out perform an ABS equipped one. Simply put the abs from most 90s vehicles, especially Japanese imports have issues. They were designed for use by the everyday public.

A modern day ABS unit, on the other hand, is a different story. Especially the ones equipped to the higher performance vehicles, s2k, m3, amg mercs, etc.

All of this.

K_style
06-08-2012, 09:54 AM

One thing though... I dont think you could call that "Rain" that you get in Southern California... :ddog:

Come up here for real driving in Rain.. hahaha

Thanks for your input !!!

nymphoprkinglot
06-09-2012, 11:10 PM
One thing though... I dont think you could call that "Rain" that you get in Southern California... :ddog:

Come up here for real driving in Rain.. hahaha

Thanks for your input !!!

that's true, it doesn't really "rain" that bad in socal. Nothing like you get up in Oregon. However, that generally leads to some pretty slick roads on the "first" rain, months and months of built up grime, oil, etc. I swear, that first rain after a dry summer, and suddenly there are beige toyotas in every ditch, gully, interchange between I-8 & the 805/15/163/5.

this thread made me go testing brakes this weekend, asked to drive a friend's 06 mazda 3, and tried to get the abs to engage. all in all, it wasn't as intrusive as i thought it would be, but it kept feeling like it was pumping one wheel more than the other, making me fight with the wheel a bit. tire pressures were the same when i checked em, and to his knowledge the brakes were changed at the same time. but who knows. even more fuel to the non-abs fire, who knows how it's going to react in that time of need.

Silviasurfer
06-09-2012, 11:36 PM
My s14 has a full s15 abs upgrade, from the abs pump to lines and sensors, as well as the abs brain, its more responsive than the old system and the r33 gtr master cylinder makes the z32 rear and r34 gtt brake package work sweet, regular fliud changes give me a good moderate peddel feel and i can bet that i can stop my 200sx in a shorter distance from 100km than a r34gtr........i have a switich on the black/white stripe wire on the abs pump, that allows me to de-activate and reactivate the abs functions...... so all in all it works best for me in this way........hope this helps.... mike

LuckyRPS13
06-12-2012, 03:36 AM
I would like to say I know how to drive in the most humble of ways, and there has been very few times my ABS has ever in my life kicked in to assist me. So for the most part I prefer not to have it. Less parts to deal with.

GrimDrifter
06-12-2012, 11:08 PM
My DD, a Tc, has horrendous ABS, especially in snow. This is my second one and it is the same.. Also bad in rain or on bumpy roads. I'm glad my 240 doesn't have it though.

bladetech8
07-26-2012, 07:02 PM
The ABS system in a 240 is just a massive lead weight, tear it all out and get some weight savings. Learn to threshold brake and go driving in the Canyons to feel out the lock-up point of your braking system. Then you should be cherry in any panic brake situation.

helghast7
11-27-2012, 11:23 PM
I learned to drive on non abs cars, its just a preference i suppose unless your all out racing your car. But I dont think Ive ever been in conditions where it would have made much of a difference, seems like everytime theres a loss of traction its because the backs kicking out lol

DenkiMan!
11-29-2012, 07:37 AM
the last 2 cars ive owned in the past 5 years havent had abs. im just not used to hard braking in abs cars yet, it feels very strange. my s14 of the past 2 years doesnt have abs and im learning to threshold brake well in this car, ive felt pretty gravy in sketch situations that required hard braking during daily driving. this isnt to say i havent locked these bitches up in traffic before lol but i dont exactly have a preference because of performance differences, i just dont exactly know how to properly handle abs yet.

collegekid
11-29-2012, 08:05 AM
I Daily'd my 96 non abs through everything. I didn't have a problem at all. I feel like the only reason ABS was ever made is because dumbass people kept driving so fast and up each others' asses so they invented ABS to help. I mean you can't fix stupid, but oh well.

Besides my rant, non ABS is perfectly fine for daily driving, because if you use common sense you dont need ABS. I also prefer it because it makes me feel connected to my car in another way, just like real manual transmissions and not having traction control and all that electronic stuff.

GhostlyCoupe
11-29-2012, 01:54 PM
In any professional sanctioned racing where ABS is allowed you'd be hard pressed to see a team not use it.

Take that for what it's worth.

ONYX S-13
11-29-2012, 04:50 PM
No abs.

Just one more thing to potentially break on a already old car and just adds weight. I've only owned one car which had ABS and its my current one (94 Prelude) and I hate it.

I'm looking into ditching it within a month or so.

EsChassisLove
11-29-2012, 04:57 PM
Non ABS. So glad I deleted it.

Know your car. Don't panic brake. Have good tires. You'll stop on a dime.

K_style
01-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Sorry about bumping old thread.

I just yanked out my ABS and installed Chase Bays lines.

Does anyone interested in ABS conversion kit???

K_style
01-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Does anyone tracks (non drifting) their car with no ABS?

Syncade
02-09-2013, 12:05 PM
ABS is amazing, but sadly the 240sx's ABS isn't that good.

And to people who say ABS isn't good for daily driving: You must be fucking idiots, or you live somewhere where its so flat that you know nothing about driving in dynamic terrain.

EDacIouSX
02-09-2013, 02:04 PM
s14 240sx with ABS is super rare isn't it?

K_style
02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
s14 240sx with ABS is super rare isn't it?

I wouldn't say "super" but yes it isn't common.

Johannes
02-13-2013, 01:10 AM
http://www.gagdonkey.com/photos/ABS-On-ABS-Off.jpg.jpg

/thread

K_style
02-13-2013, 11:53 AM
http://www.gagdonkey.com/photos/ABS-On-ABS-Off.jpg.jpg

/thread

LOL. that's a nice picture.

But not every situation is different. So your attempt is failed..

jdjesse
02-18-2013, 03:09 AM
Well I like ABS cause my C4 corvette stopped extremely fast for it year, my 2003 350z has abs but it still cant stop for shit. So ABS or not I think it just depends on your setup.

:down:

jdjesse
02-18-2013, 03:13 AM
If you're a starting racer, non-ABS is best so you learn how to drive without the ABS, aka not learning bad habits.
If just DDing, it doesn't matter much since Nissan ABS is horrid. I want to do the S2k ABS retrofit that some FD folk are/were attempting.

I agree nissan has junk ABS, my friend has it removed from his R33 and his son has it removed from his s14. both claim it was horrible and kept the car from slowing down faster.

drftngs14
05-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Didnt want to bump old thread, but jsut purchased an S14 with ABS, considering Ive had 2 others without found it interesting what people prefer.. This is a DD so ABS was appealing but not a selling point..

DJ 21o3
05-14-2013, 04:53 PM
bumping this thread couldn't really hurt since it would allow more people to see it and vote. I have a S14 project and i plan on removing the ABS so was curious what others thought.
My last car and all the vehicles I have driven have had it and it was extremely useful in winter.

This car will be a good weather weekend warrior and track toy so ABS isn't needed.

K_style
05-14-2013, 05:37 PM
I see majority of people do not want ABS on their 240sx.

I don't regret yanking mine out for sure.

drftngs14
05-17-2013, 07:56 AM
Im glad Im keeping the ABS, I totalled a previous S14 where ABS could have helped.. Now that Im selling my DD Jeep, this is primary ride so its definitely a bonus

dwnshft2drft
08-26-2013, 03:13 PM
ABS for tail gaiters
Back off or ruin ur car!

Drivers tend to look whats front of them not whats ahead of them...

Stuff For Sale
http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/403488-nissan-240sx-97-98-s14-kouki-part-out-s13-s15-jdm-excimo.html