PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else use programs like Fruity Loops Studios?

One_love_silvia
05-29-2012, 03:28 AM
curious to see if there's anyone else out there using this program. i'm only using the demo right now, and i've only been using it for maybe a week, but i'm contemplating on buying the program. i really enjoy it, and it's been taking over my gaming time lately lol.

i'm still trying to figure shit out, and i was wondering if anyone has any pointers. i still haven't really figured out the dubstep "wub wub" sound. i mean, i can do it, it just doesn't sound good.

i'm also still trying to learn how to create my own melodies, and i was wondering, when you go to make a song, do you start making it after you already have a melody figured out in your mind? or do you do it right then and there, all spontaneous and shit?

look forward to hearing from everyone.

here's the first full song i've ever made, set to a slide show of pictures from formuja d long beach 2012. lmk what you think!
Qargn-ECft8

drift freaq
05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Hmm where do I start? Welcome to the wobble bass ten years late? :lol: Seriously though if you want to create wobble bass get Native Instruments Massive, software wise.
If you really want to write real music perhaps you should take up an instrument. Get some Piano lessons it would do you a world of good. Try taking some music theory classes. Learn about the circle of 5ths.
Not trying to be mean or personal but what you did above really does not qualify as a song. Its slightly melodic but does not go anywhere or evoke any real emotion. The beat is highly generic.
Got to start somewhere though. Now its time for you to really get into it. Another thing to do would be get a drum machine and learn how to program beats so you understand timing and its significance.
To do this stuff right takes practice and time its not something you jump into.
Oh and ya I have been writing music for some 20 years. Its actually my other gig. I used to perform Drum N Bass live. I still write Drum N Bass for fun and this whole Dub Step thing amuses me as its been around in form for about 15 years.

I use Logic myself have for years I also know Pro Tools as I write and produce music.

One_love_silvia
05-29-2012, 02:56 PM
Hmm where do I start? Welcome to the wobble bass ten years late? :lol: Seriously though if you want to create wobble bass get Native Instruments Massive, software wise.
If you really want to write real music perhaps you should take up an instrument. Get some Piano lessons it would do you a world of good. Try taking some music theory classes. Learn about the circle of 5ths.
Not trying to be mean or personal but what you did above really does not qualify as a song. Its slightly melodic but does not go anywhere or evoke any real emotion. The beat is highly generic.
Got to start somewhere though. Now its time for you to really get into it. Another thing to do would be get a drum machine and learn how to program beats so you understand timing and its significance.
To do this stuff right takes practice and time its not something you jump into.
Oh and ya I have been writing music for some 20 years. Its actually my other gig. I used to perform Drum N Bass live. I still write Drum N Bass for fun and this whole Dub Step thing amuses me as its been around in form for about 15 years.

I use Logic myself have for years I also know Pro Tools as I write and produce music.

yeah i know it's not much, but i gotta start somewhere lol. and like i said it's only been like a week. i actually play the guitar (every so often). i used to play all the time, but that was in high school when i had free time.

i figured someone would suggest massive lol. can you even buy it for the demo? and this isn't something i'm trying to be serious in. just something i'm doing for fun lol

appreciate the advice

drift freaq
05-29-2012, 08:02 PM
yeah i know it's not much, but i gotta start somewhere lol. and like i said it's only been like a week. i actually play the guitar (every so often). i used to play all the time, but that was in high school when i had free time.

i figured someone would suggest massive lol. can you even buy it for the demo? and this isn't something i'm trying to be serious in. just something i'm doing for fun lol

appreciate the advice

Ah I wondered if you knew Guitar. lol Ya you might be able to download a demo of Massive. Go to NI's website and check it out. I mean there is more than one to get wobble bass. Part of it is multiple oscillators just slightly out from each other frequency wise that creates that effect. The crack up is people saying that you cannot do it with the Soft Synths in Logic. That is just comical.

Though when I was at the last Namm show fucking everybody and his brother had wobble bass patches on their synths or where demonstrating their synths with them. LOL This whole dub step Skrillex thing is really starting to crack me up. Oh and I am actually not impressed with his stuff. lol
I knew guys doing that sort of thing in Drum N Bass 16 years ago.

HyperTek
05-29-2012, 08:13 PM
fl studio is like the preschool of DAWs.. but its a start.. your better than me with it.. I like Ableton live.

May i suggest a midi keyboard . I picked one up for $15 on ebay years ago because it was used.. I dont care.

Akai stuff is nice, i got a mpd24. Akai Professional - APC MPC EWI MPD MPK LPK XR20 BEATS HEADRUSH (http://www.akaipro.com/en/index.php)

HyperTek
05-29-2012, 08:16 PM
once you learn how to sample, you will have fun here, people post up original songs and than everyone samples pieces from em. Flip This! - Future Producers forums (http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/flip/)

drift freaq
05-29-2012, 08:27 PM
once you learn how to sample, you will have fun here, people post up original songs and than everyone samples pieces from em. Flip This! - Future Producers forums (http://www.futureproducers.com/forums/production-techniques/flip/)

Ya just what a songwriter wants people ripping off the best parts. LOL Welcome to the Internet piracy generation deciding to wreck originality.

Sorry Austin but I just can't get my head around people taking stuff out of my original music. Nor do I think its conducive to the Industry as a whole. Sorry but the DADA ist thing is just not the way. IMO

Oh and they won't be future producers if they are giving away their stuff as to make a name for yourself you have to sell something.

Oh and while we are on this whole I am producer thing. Can said producer mix music, that would be good enough for a commercial release? Can he/she show a singer how a certain part might be sung better? Are they able to tell when the mix is off a bit and make suggestions to really make the song deliver? These are all things real producers can do.

Being a songwriter is one thing. Being a producer is another. Just because a person can make beats and possibly put music around them does not automatically make them a producer. God it drives me nuts how the internet generation has just co opted that title without having half a clue.

Again sorry Austin but this is cold hard truth.

HyperTek
05-30-2012, 01:54 AM
cleared samples bring money to the original artist as well. Brings older music to a newer generation . I have looked up alot of originals and it brought me to discover older artist. That is if you go ahead and start to make money off it, you gotta clear it first.

but for this thread, it is a fun and good way to learn music creation.

One_love_silvia
05-30-2012, 06:22 PM
lets hear some beats drift_freaq! :D

so downloaded the massive demo.

GG. it only lasts like 15 minutes before you have to reload it.

stiizy
06-20-2012, 09:28 AM
I use Ableton Live after a memeber on here put me on to it about 6 years back, FL was a thing of the past. I also use Cubase.

Soundcloud.com/the_kis

That's all my stuff. I like remixing I've actually won a few contests.

aziankingz
06-20-2012, 09:48 AM
I was just thinking about the old days when I was in High School playing around with creating my own beats and trance music with Fruity Loops - that was about 13 years ago lol.. it really is fun, but a lot of work and time wasted.. have fun though, but if you are making a career out of it, FL is not the right tool to use.

exitspeed
06-26-2012, 12:43 PM
I wish I could make music. I realize it's just not one of my talents. lol