PDA

View Full Version : Best car for 17 year old?

Nsteezyy
05-26-2012, 12:27 AM
So basically, I've saved up around 20k.
Ive been looking to buy any good car that would last me.
I've also been wanting to get into modding it.
Theres were the cars i had in mind.
Rx8, 350z, s13, s14, 180, evo 8, and a wrx.
Looking to buy new or used. any suggestions? for a newbie?

What would be the best? Any other cars are great too.
Just basically looking for a car I would be good with and a car that i would be able to mod.

Sorry if i posted in the wrong section.
Thanks.

dawagarage
05-26-2012, 12:33 AM
volvo. they are known for their safety

future
05-26-2012, 12:33 AM
Please tell me how you saved 20k at 17

S14DB
05-26-2012, 12:37 AM
You don't want any car you can mod. It will become a detriment on your finances. Will dump all your money into mods. If you don't have experience or don't do the right mods the reliability of the car will go down. Which will inhibit your ability to make money.

Get something safe and reliable with enough cool factor to not gross out dates and you are set.

rhd_sr
05-26-2012, 01:10 AM
1993 geo prizm ftw

LOUD240
05-26-2012, 01:11 AM
I'll sell you my 240 for $20k!!! LOL

upsdude
05-26-2012, 01:12 AM
all the cars listed will be a pain to insure because of your age. stick with a car that's reliable and easy to maintain.

KiLLeR2001
05-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Something front wheel drive and slow that has almost zero aftermarket support.

aka, get the fuck off this forum.

Nsteezyy
05-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. Reliable is the top answer i guess.
I guess I had saved from my parents and a lot of side jobs,(;

RiversideS13
05-26-2012, 01:54 AM
You don't want any car you can mod. It will become a detriment on your finances. Will dump all your money into mods. If you don't have experience or don't do the right mods the reliability of the car will go down. Which will inhibit your ability to make money.

Get something safe and reliable with enough cool factor to not gross out dates and you are set.

+1

IF I was not into modding car when I was in college, i think i would have gotten into grad school earlier and making good money 2 or 3 years earlier. opportunity cost.

imoverherre
05-26-2012, 03:19 AM
God dam 20k at 17years old I'm lucky if I save up 1k at most....

Ps: I hate my 240 I fix something then another thing breaks but I love it

soryu
05-26-2012, 03:51 AM
Civic bro.

Kuma
05-26-2012, 03:57 AM

Someone in his family died and he got paid... Or he pushes rhymes like weight.

With 20k if you want something reliable and want to mod. Buy a 2005ish honda civic/accord. Insurance wont run you $3k per year and they are reliable.... Don't even put wheels on it... A CD player at most.

THEEEEN buy a beater project car... Cheapest hunk of crap you can find (an s13 thats been wrecked multiple times and driven into the ocean/a lake) and black tag it. Rebuild it from the ground up. You will probably be 19-20 by the time you finish (realistically, since you're new to modding)... But when it's ready it will be the best 6months of your life until you wreck it and possibly kill a family of hard working middle class christian folk. You will learn a valuable lesson, then you can buy something on your list.

word sux
05-26-2012, 07:36 AM
can you have 2 cars?

if so then spend most of the money to get a reliable DD then use the rest to get a decent project car

redline1320
05-26-2012, 07:55 AM
^^^^ im with him. I was younger than you when i got into the "scene"
but i had a civic to mod and a civic for a daily.
Just research more before you get in over your head. That $20k can be blown quickly depending on the car(s) you choose.

HyperTek
05-26-2012, 08:10 AM
I would not recommend any of those cars for 17 year old.. unless you are very mature and open to mechanical learning..

and please don't rice the fuck out of those cars with sticker bombing, roof racks , rota wheels lol

Pinggg
05-26-2012, 09:10 AM
Monthly bus pass!

ralphandthequeen
05-26-2012, 09:33 AM
i say Civic for beginner Modder.. unlimited aftermarket parts, and easy to replace broken parts. good luck.

itsjustdaphne
05-26-2012, 09:58 AM

lol for real..
oh and i would go for a 350z

itsjustdaphne
05-26-2012, 10:00 AM
I'll sell you my 240 for $20k!!! LOL

bahaha perfect

blacksmith
05-26-2012, 10:47 AM
-1997 S14 kouki $6000
-1994 4 door civic/integra daily beater $3000
-Put $6000 in savings
-Put $5000 in mods on the 240.
-Win at life.

TougeSR20Kid
05-26-2012, 11:53 AM
17 with 20k... Next thing you know he's gonna be asking us how to get a skyline

If you were smart you wouldn't blow ur life savings on a car. But ur 17 so getting that point across is useless. IMO you shouldnt get any of the cars u mentioned as a first car. You are extremely likely to crash ur first car so get something cheap and reliable to learn on, that you won't be pissed as all hell when u break it. Secondly as already mentioned you really have no idea what insuring one of those cars at 17 will be like. I'm 25 with a few points on my record and my insurance is 1700 a year, when I was ur age it was upwards of 3gs a year on a beater car that cost 3500... So my advice do some homework and make smarter decisions playa

mantas
05-26-2012, 12:00 PM
17 with 20k... Next thing you know he's gonna be asking us how to get a skyline

If you were smart you wouldn't blow ur life savings on a car. But ur 17 so getting that point across is useless. IMO you shouldnt get any of the cars u mentioned as a first car. You are extremely likely to crash ur first car so get something cheap and reliable to learn on, that you won't be pissed as all hell when u break it. Secondly as already mentioned you really have no idea what insuring one of those cars at 17 will be like. I'm 25 with a few points on my record and my insurance is 1700 a year, when I was ur age it was upwards of 3gs a year on a beater car that cost 3500... So my advice do some homework and make smarter decisions playa

Once again you speak the truth. Kid get a commuter car and save that money for a good university. When you hit 25 and you are out of school think about it then, chances are you wont even want one because you will have bills to pay and may be even mouths to feed. I sometimes wish i never bought the 240 - i wish i would have gotten a go kart and a truck instead haha.

Corbic
05-26-2012, 01:02 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8uupTGiatOg/Tb8XwE06kQI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/TIgM86i8SsI/s1600/Cl_Jeep_Cherokee_01.jpg

End of discussion.

At 17 you don't need a hot-rod, you need cheap daily transportation and a Cherokee is that.

$500 to $4,000 depending on year, condition and pre-existing mods. AWD means no fears of snow. The higher ground-clearance means you are invulnerable to pot-holes, curbs, speed bumps and many other hazards that often ruin nice cars. Insurance will also only be a few hundred a year.

You can haul cargo and friends for when you go to the Dunes, beach, or camping. It will be great when you move to college ect. You'll also get 18-22mpg if it is well kept and stock. They are simple and cheap to work on. It will help you build a foundation of car repair and maintenance as there is nothing in it that can be done in a garage with a standard tool box. Information and aftermarket is limitless.

Once you get more money and time it will continue to serve as a great daily or a back up for when you finally get a project car. Nothing sucks more ass then having to fix your car before tomorrow so you can make it to class or work.

Also if a girl ever looks at your weird, unlike some lame old Civic you just say "I'm really into hiking and the outdoors" and suddenly its all forgiven that you drive a dirty 20 year old truck. A 20 year old dirty ass Camry just says "broke".

My best car purchase ever-

http://i1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff467/AFZombie/fbd17eb1.jpg

Corbic
05-26-2012, 01:05 PM
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/1/2518/1941/6293470031_large.jpg?modal

Corbic
05-26-2012, 01:05 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5070/5674005548_a201102040_z.jpg

theronin
05-26-2012, 01:06 PM
20k saved up? fuck a car. buy a house. im serious.

BUY A HOUSE.

If your parents don't have downs, they will agree with me.

BUY A HOUSE!!!

CleanAndLegit
05-26-2012, 01:18 PM
probably rich kid, parents gave him 20k to buy car
get truck, so much fun offroading is fucking dope :D
corbics post = /thread

ravinaziankid
05-26-2012, 01:30 PM
20k saved up? fuck a car. buy a house. im serious.

BUY A HOUSE.

If your parents don't have downs, they will agree with me.

BUY A HOUSE!!!

I would also look into investing it instead of throwing that money away on something that depreciates. Just buy a civic or corolla that would last you for years with just routine oil changes.

lawrenceyang
05-26-2012, 01:46 PM
+1

IF I was not into modding car when I was in college, i think i would have gotten into grad school earlier and making good money 2 or 3 years earlier. opportunity cost.

word. dont waste your time buying a super sweet car when you're 17 and gonna a) probably fuck it up, b) have insurance up the ass, c) not know anything about it, d) be sad that you bought it when newer cars are coming out and blowing your car out of the water stock, e) using the money for something more important i.e. college, rent (in a couple years for you i guess but you dont wanna be staying at your parents house when you're in college), whatever. having a sweet car always seems nice in your mind but if you're trying to get into the "scene" and mod your car something will ALWAYS come up that you didn't account for and will cost you more money and make you super sad. if you are dead set on getting a car, i would put some of the 20k down on a new car so you won't have to deal with the reliability issue and get better mileage vs the older cars you mentioned. idk what insurance would be like for you but the new genesis coupe looks pretty sweet, is nicer than most cars on zilvia by far and will/does have aftermarket support. just my two cents

mantas
05-26-2012, 01:47 PM
Corbic is so fucking right about the jeep. Get that and you can also bang chicks in the back.

redline1320
05-26-2012, 02:06 PM
i say civic for beginner modder.. Unlimited aftermarket parts, and easy to replace broken parts. Good luck.

just want to say your sig is awesome haha

xoxide
05-26-2012, 03:48 PM
RX8- No, chick car, downfall of the RX series.
350Z- No, too much car for you... Youll end up fucking someone elses life up trying to show off.
S13- Cheap, not that reliable
S14- (Zenki)- Cheap, reletively reliable, (Kouki)- More expensive... More reliable (Just because its newer), plus im sure youll pull the bitches in a kouki.
180- 240 hatch I assume you mean?
Evo- Too much car for you again, insurance would also be a killer
STI- Same as evo and Z.

Buy a civic or accord... Cheap parts, and isnt fast... So when you try and show off around your friends (which you will), you dont run out of talent and kill some innocent person around you. Plus, civics last forever and are cheap on insurance.

Now, just hit log out and leave... forever.

Nsteezyy
05-26-2012, 04:19 PM
I love all of these suggestions, Much more every one says get a honda, i know it would be a perfect first car and all but. Im not all into hondas.

Daniel.
05-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I would like to also echo the idea that you should buy a house.

Buy a cheap reliable honda as your DD.

redline1320
05-26-2012, 04:34 PM
This thread isn't still going is it? I mean come on. If you have to ask these questions then obviously you aren't ready for the answers.

"I don't like a Honda" well then get what you want and roll with it. Don't ask other opinions if you can't handle it. If you really had $20k you'd do some serious research (upon yourself) before you invested it on something. If I had 20k to drop on another car I wouldn't be listening to other ppls ideas. It's all about what YOU want.

Daniel.
05-26-2012, 04:42 PM
This thread isn't still going is it? I mean come on. If you have to ask these questions then obviously you aren't ready for the answers.

"I don't like a Honda" well then get what you want and roll with it. Don't ask other opinions if you can't handle it. If you really had $20k you'd do some serious research (upon yourself) before you invested it on something. If I had 20k to drop on another car I wouldn't be listening to other ppls ideas. It's all about what YOU want.

Yeah, fuck it. Just do whatever you want and throw your money away. It's no bacon off of my back.

DreamN
05-26-2012, 04:52 PM
Nissan Cube

/thread

:D

cured13
05-26-2012, 05:58 PM
buy dodge neon and beat shit out of it on the farm roads, then buy 240sx, restore it to beter than new condition and be nice on public rads please

Beejis60
05-26-2012, 06:24 PM
Corbic is so fucking right about the jeep. Get that and you can also bang chicks in the back.

Umm, jeeps are chick cars.

slydin240sx
05-26-2012, 06:26 PM

Agreed. My sister has one, my brother's ex wife has one, and this other girl I know has one.

Beejis60
05-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Agreed. My sister has one, my brother's ex wife has one, and this other girl I know has one.

When I was an undergrad, I commuted approximately 40 minutes to school and 50ish minutes to work. So every time I saw a jeep on the side of the road, I always saw a bitch standing by it, solo.

Not cool unless OP is gay or a girl.

gbaby2089
05-26-2012, 06:46 PM
2007-2012 Honda Fit.

Cheap.
Reliable.
∞ MPG's.
Near Free to Insure.
Could live in the trunk.
Moddable if you're dumb enough to do so.

etc.

thrax
05-26-2012, 07:36 PM
As many have mentioned or implied already IMO I don't think you should at 17 get any sports car or muscle car. The insurance rates for those vehicles will be astronomical.
Start off with an economy car until you build up your driving experience.

Corbic
05-26-2012, 09:08 PM
S13- Cheap, not that reliable
S14- (Zenki)- Cheap, reletively reliable, (Kouki)- More expensive... More reliable (Just because its newer), plus im sure youll pull the bitches in a kouki.
180- 240 hatch I assume you mean?

They are the same fucking car. :bash:

Corbic
05-26-2012, 09:10 PM

What fucking planet do you live on? Seriously brah.

I'm not even going to dignify your idiotic statement with any rebuttal argument.

Corbic
05-26-2012, 09:13 PM
When I was an undergrad, I commuted approximately 40 minutes to school and 50ish minutes to work. So every time I saw a jeep on the side of the road, I always saw a bitch standing by it, solo.

Not cool unless OP is gay or a girl.

Man, talk about socially insecure. I didn't realize how important a car was to your social image. Do you circle around the mall parking lot because you don't want to park need a Miata or use the JC Penny's entrance?

Ever think that the reason you see stranded girls is because they don't maintain their cars?

I can only imagine the "Bro car" you'd suggest.

SLiDe_WaYz
05-26-2012, 09:53 PM
Buy a house, or a town house. I'm 21, I went from a 240, to a IS300, and now I drive a 350Z. Honestly, get a car with no aftermarket. Start out with something cheap and reliable like Honda or Toyota. Insurance for full coverage on the Z is 220mo. The IS was 200, and the 240 was only 120 all full coverage.

So honestly listen to the few of us, buy a cheap 5-6K car that's reliable and put like 10 in savings and with the remaining 4-5K put it in a separate bank account for emergency use only. Like as in the only way you can get the money is if you park your car and go into the bank itself to get it out. I did just this thing 90% of the time I say fuck it I don't wanna park, get out, go inside, ext.

I still stand by saying buy some forum of house with 20K down. Obviously your parents are decently well off to let you spend your life savings at 17 on a car.

Imagine being 18 in college with your own fucking house. A nice house will get you more vagina than a nice car....

Nsteezyy
05-26-2012, 09:59 PM
I will prolly go with most of you, get a cheap reliable Honda, and put the rest in savings for something else.

Corbic
05-26-2012, 10:04 PM
Imagine being 18 in college with your own fucking house. A nice house will get you more vagina than a nice car....

Lies. The guys that get the most ass are broke ass scrubs.

Its called - http://groomsadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/BachelorPartyShots.jpg

theronin
05-26-2012, 11:12 PM
BUY A FUCKING HOUSE.

Like for real.

blowing 20k on a car is something a stupid 17 year old would do. So don't be that stupid 17 year old.

Invest in the future. Buy a house.

slowvia
05-27-2012, 02:36 AM
First of all, don't be another asshat daily driving an SUV or a truck who never uses it for anything but an A to B car. I honestly wish it were a requirement to have a permit allowing you to daily any vehicle over 4,500 pounds. I'm sick of people who drive huge SUV's because they "need" it because they camp once a year.
However, if you actually use it for utility work or offroading, then I have no beef, as long as you don't back into my Nissans!
Ok, back on topic.
17 years old and you have $20K to spend on a car, eh?
Step 1. Give all of that money back to your parents who gave it to you in the first place
Step 2. Get a job, like the rest of us
Step 3. Save YOUR money
Step 4. Buy a piece of crap that you can be proud of because you earned it like a man

Kuma
05-27-2012, 07:42 AM
don't buy a house unless it's an old fixer upper you got for less than 20k. 99% of 17yr olds are not responsible enough to keep up with house payments, taxes, repairs, and all the costs of owning a house. You'd end up losing it to the bank or burning it down. If you didn't even take the time to see that insurance on most of the cars you posted will run you $3000+yr for minimum coverage liability only, I doubt you would do much if any research into homeowners insurance.

Corbic
05-27-2012, 08:07 AM
BUY A FUCKING HOUSE.

Like for real.

blowing 20k on a car is something a stupid 17 year old would do. So don't be that stupid 17 year old.

This is why I figure he did not "save" the money. Any 17 year old smart enough to actually work and earn 20k is not dumb enough to then blow all that cash 1 year latter.

Buying a house is actually stupid at his age. Depending on the cost of the house he'll still have $700 - $1,500 a month mortgage. He may also want to move in a year or two ect.

Just keep the money in the bank. Invest it in a CD or something, let it work for you and accumulate value while you finish HS and go to college.

It would be a marvelous thing to finish undergrad with ZERO DEBT because you had that 20k to cover most of your expenses. This would then let you go straight into a Masters Program instead of having to wait till your 28 like myself.

College is the new Highschool. Your not going far without an MBA unless you went to a Ivy League school.

Corbic
05-27-2012, 08:12 AM
First of all, don't be another asshat daily driving an SUV or a truck who never uses it for anything but an A to B car. I honestly wish it were a requirement to have a permit allowing you to daily any vehicle over 4,500 pounds. I'm sick of people who drive huge SUV's because they "need" it because they camp once a year.

Hmmm.. and what about all those Ricer douchebags driving around in their polluting engine swapped cars. Loud exhausts, cutting people off and street racing? I doubt few sports car owners even track their car but once a year - but oh noes... they need a performance car.

20 minutes driving a truck and you'll realize why they are so popular for soccer moms. One trip to pick up a air-compressor, a set of wheels or some plywood and you will go :eek2: "why did I not do this years ago!!"

When you own a home, you'll quickly understand. Also a 4Runner and Cherokee are hardly big, they are also under 4,000lbs. Both will get near 20mpg, which is actually cheaper to fuel then many sports cars. My 350Z averages 19.8mpg and it runs on premium. My 4runner, doing the same driving gets 18.5 and that is on regular.

word sux
05-27-2012, 09:11 AM
BUY A FUCKING HOUSE.

Like for real.

I would not do this. Buying a house at 17 is foolish, yea he has 20g's so what. He isn't even out of high school and he would already have a mortgage to deal with. You don't want that ball and chain at the age of 17. Stay debt free, trust me...

buy a cheap reliable dd and then put the rest towards college

raz0rbladez909
05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
Hmmm.. and what about all those Ricer douchebags driving around in their polluting engine swapped cars. Loud exhausts, cutting people off and street racing? I doubt few sports car owners even track their car but once a year - but oh noes... they need a performance car.

20 minutes driving a truck and you'll realize why they are so popular for soccer moms. One trip to pick up a air-compressor, a set of wheels or some plywood and you will go :eek2: "why did I not do this years ago!!"

When you own a home, you'll quickly understand. Also a 4Runner and Cherokee are hardly big, they are also under 4,000lbs. Both will get near 20mpg, which is actually cheaper to fuel then many sports cars. My 350Z averages 19.8mpg and it runs on premium. My 4runner, doing the same driving gets 18.5 and that is on regular.

+1 on the Jeep Cherokee, the thing is cheap, bulletproof, and has an immense aftermarket. They were also built for many years so if you need to go junkyard strolling you won't find every car out there stripped to the bone like 240s are.

+1 on the Honda fit idea also, it is great on gas mileage, reliable, has good storage space and it is one of the more attractive mpg cars. There is also plenty of market to make it unique to you and if you wanna surprise people you can always k swap it down the line.

xh3nry
05-27-2012, 10:48 AM
Cherokees are also good for when the zombies come

DrIvEsldEwAyS
05-27-2012, 11:11 AM
buy a motorcycle they are faster.

raz0rbladez909
05-27-2012, 11:55 AM
buy a motorcycle they are faster.

Lol a 17 year old and a motorcycle should not be in the same sentence

Phlip
05-27-2012, 12:09 PM
-1997 S14 kouki $6000
-Put $6000 in savings
-Win at life.

This is the best advice in this thread.

Piggy
05-27-2012, 12:27 PM
Beater car -

Project car-

You've got the means to do it right the first time. It took me 'till 20 to realize the car I'm building shouldn't be my daily...unless your idea of modding means a cai and fartcan. Get a late 90's, early 2000's luxury sedan for 5-7 (I went with a gs300 for a final answer) then a sports car for you to slowly build (not spend all the money at once). At the end, you'll have something nice to drive and something fun to be proud of.

simmode1
05-27-2012, 01:04 PM
OP, find yourself a 5spd IS300 for under $10k and save the rest of the cash for your future. The IS300 is a reliable car that you can mod but it won't get you into too much trouble unless you get extreme with things. Coilovers, wheels, shortened final drive ratio, exhaust and stop there.

xoxide
05-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Lol a 17 year old and a motorcycle should not be in the same sentence
Darwinism at work. :gives:

DS562
05-27-2012, 01:45 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8uupTGiatOg/Tb8XwE06kQI/AAAAAAAAAkQ/TIgM86i8SsI/s1600/Cl_Jeep_Cherokee_01.jpg

End of discussion.

At 17 you don't need a hot-rod, you need cheap daily transportation and a Cherokee is that.

$500 to $4,000 depending on year, condition and pre-existing mods. AWD means no fears of snow. The higher ground-clearance means you are invulnerable to pot-holes, curbs, speed bumps and many other hazards that often ruin nice cars. Insurance will also only be a few hundred a year.

You can haul cargo and friends for when you go to the Dunes, beach, or camping. It will be great when you move to college ect. You'll also get 18-22mpg if it is well kept and stock. They are simple and cheap to work on. It will help you build a foundation of car repair and maintenance as there is nothing in it that can be done in a garage with a standard tool box. Information and aftermarket is limitless.

Once you get more money and time it will continue to serve as a great daily or a back up for when you finally get a project car. Nothing sucks more ass then having to fix your car before tomorrow so you can make it to class or work.

Also if a girl ever looks at your weird, unlike some lame old Civic you just say "I'm really into hiking and the outdoors" and suddenly its all forgiven that you drive a dirty 20 year old truck. A 20 year old dirty ass Camry just says "broke".

fuckin dot. i got mine in march. granted it needed a little work and the mileage is crap, but its the best $1500 i ever spent. i really got lucky on this deal.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j288/1xe1xf/CHEROKEEEEEE.jpg

slowvia
05-27-2012, 02:02 PM

Are trucks useful? Hell yeah! I'm not saying we should stop buying trucks all together, what would we use to pick up parts and such? But I don't own a car that gets under 25 MPG, and I think people who daily SUV's and trucks and never haul anything, or do anything useful with them should settle for a car. Why? Gas is not a renewable resource. How many idiots do you see driving Expedition's every day, without a single passenger?! That's what I mean.
And for the record, I love trucks, just not for daily use that doesn't require it.

Corbic
05-27-2012, 03:44 PM
Are trucks useful? Hell yeah! I'm not saying we should stop buying trucks all together, what would we use to pick up parts and such? But I don't own a car that gets under 25 MPG, and I think people who daily SUV's and trucks and never haul anything, or do anything useful with them should settle for a car. Why? Gas is not a renewable resource. How many idiots do you see driving Expedition's every day, without a single passenger?! That's what I mean.
And for the record, I love trucks, just not for daily use that doesn't require it.

How many idiots drive a "Racecar" on the street but are only doing 45mph? How many idiots are driving "driftcar" but are only going straight?

Current Ford Ranger is rated at 22/27, so spare me the "OMFG they burn gas" bullshit. Not every truck out there gets 10mpg, and not ever car out there gets 30mpg.

mantas
05-27-2012, 03:47 PM
JKid, save that money - we are all (i hope im right when i say this) older, we learned through our mistakes and trust US!!! You dont want to end up dumping money in to a car.

Do you want a "decent" car now?
Or, do you want a badass rich man's car later?

I can tell you this much, when i drive the 240 i feel like a dumbass adult who has not grown up - because those are the stares i get. And im not driving like an ass, just cruising like a granny.

When i drive my 5 series - people are like, wtf is that young kid doing in that car? They might think im some douche driving my parents car or im just an illegitimate dumbass. But, fact is i own it! And i also have a new jetta if that matters. I earn things, you need to learn the same thing then get whatever your little 17yr old heart desires - seriously no homo.

No one gets rich by wasting money, they get rich by putting the money to work!!

xoxide
05-27-2012, 04:26 PM
Are you stalking people to see if they never haul anyone/thing around? Shut the fuck up man... You have no clue what 90% of them use their truck/suv for except for. Go buy a Prius so you can counteract the effects of said "gas guzzlers". And dont forget your rainbow sticker for it. :lockd:

Daniel.
05-27-2012, 04:47 PM
This thread needs to die. The kid got the advice he wanted already.

mantas
05-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Are you stalking people to see if they never haul anyone/thing around? Shut the fuck up man... You have no clue what 90% of them use their truck/suv for except for. Go buy a Prius so you can counteract the effects of said "gas guzzlers". And dont forget your rainbow sticker for it. :lockd:

A prius pollutes much more than a gas guzzler dumbass.

Not in carbon emissions but in the materials used and the resources needed to build one. So gtfo if you font know what you are talking about.

raz0rbladez909
05-27-2012, 05:21 PM
A prius pollutes much more than a gas guzzler dumbass.

Not in carbon emissions but in the materials used and the resources needed to build one. So gtfo if you font know what you are talking about.

He wasn't talking about them in reference to pollution, only in regards to their use of non-renewable resources.

It's funny that people driving 240's are talking about the effects of SUVs' when half the people on here are running straight pipes, improperly tuned cars and illegal engine swaps lol

xoxide
05-27-2012, 06:28 PM
He wasn't talking about them in reference to pollution, only in regards to their use of non-renewable resources.

Thanks for clarifying... Thought it was pretty evident, but I guess some people dont think before they type.

mantas
05-27-2012, 10:41 PM
Thanks for clarifying... Thought it was pretty evident, but I guess some people dont think before they type.

Oppps i didnt read hahaha

fliprayzin240sx
05-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Man, with those cars you listed...you like paying $250 a month for car insurance? Evo and 350z will probably be around $300 a month.

hediki12
05-28-2012, 08:52 AM
To the op, i would go with an evo , its a great dd, they stopped making them so the prices are being driven up. Its your money, you have till you die to make more. Im not sure if you want to heavily mod a car or just make it a little more peppy than factory. If you want to go crazy with modding get 2 cars work on one drive the other like i do. And every body shut up about him being rich and blah blah . And those cars are bad ideas . Ive had my 1st car when i was 15 years old (and i drove every were), never mEt in an accident till This year and im 23.

Corbic
05-28-2012, 08:54 AM
Man, with those cars you listed...you like paying $250 a month for car insurance? Evo and 350z will probably be around $300 a month.

350Z is the most deadly car in America. It has the highest fatalities per vehicles sold ever. This is despite its outstanding safety rating.

raz0rbladez909
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
To the op, i would go with an evo , its a great dd, they stopped making them so the prices are being driven up. Its your money, you have till you die to make more. Im not sure if you want to heavily mod a car or just make it a little more peppy than factory. If you want to go crazy with modding get 2 cars work on one drive the other like i do. And every body shut up about him being rich and blah blah . And those cars are bad ideas . Ive had my 1st car when i was 15 years old (and i drove every were), never mEt in an accident till This year and im 23.

The Evo is a horrible dd for a first car, I dunno why anyone that owns one would suggest one, they are only moderately decent on gas, they go through tires like crazy(if you plan on being able to make the most out of the awd system instead of throwing bs nankangs on it) Maintenance is much more involved with the diffs and tranny requiring more frequent maintenance. Any repair part is going to be on the more expensive side, and chances are he will break the thing trying to launch it. It will ass rape you on insurance too. If you plan on keeping a warranty of any sort and modding good luck lol

350Z is the most deadly car in America. It has the highest fatalities per vehicles sold ever. This is despite its outstanding safety rating.

They are actually surprisingly safe cars, I've seen several before and after pictures where you'd think the driver would be dead but the cabin is still in good shape. It just so happens that most the people wrecking them are doing it at double the posted speed limit lol

WanganRunner
05-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Buy an ancient diesel Mercedes, a nice one, with aircon that works. It will look cool, run forever, and be simple to repair. I just sold mine yesterday and Im looking at another next week.

W123 or W115. 124s are nice, but look less cool than the older cars IMO.

Daniel.
05-28-2012, 11:26 AM
The Evo is a horrible dd for a first car, I dunno why anyone that owns one would suggest one, they are only moderately decent on gas, they go through tires like crazy(if you plan on being able to make the most out of the awd system instead of throwing bs nankangs on it) Maintenance is much more involved with the diffs and tranny requiring more frequent maintenance. Any repair part is going to be on the more expensive side, and chances are he will break the thing trying to launch it. It will ass rape you on insurance too. If you plan on keeping a warranty of any sort and modding good luck lol

They are actually surprisingly safe cars, I've seen several before and after pictures where you'd think the driver would be dead but the cabin is still in good shape. It just so happens that most the people wrecking them are doing it at double the posted speed limit lol

My Evo has been good to me. Original owner '06 with 41k miles. No major repairs except a recently replaced front shock, and very minor upkeep costs. (Oil changes, and diff inspections.) My Dunlop Direzzas have lasted me 22k miles so far.

I'm a responsible guy though, and don't thrash it on the street. Car is mint.

In the hands of a 17 year old....he'd probably kill a family of 5.

shhyguuy
05-28-2012, 12:20 PM
Best car for a 17 year old? I'd suggest a piece of crap 20 year old beater unless you like crazy expensive repairs and insurance. Have u thought of maybe a 240? :) lol

Akiros
05-28-2012, 02:55 PM
LSX daily ftw, especially if your parents pay the insurance. Why has no one said this? It seems like most are just bitching because they don't have 20k.

(ERR DUH YOU SHOULD BUY A CAR FOR 6K)

He probably has a 20k budget for a reason. If you saved this money and you don't have a regular income then you should obviously save some/most obviously, burr that isn't what you fucking asked.

For 15-20k!

05/06 GTO would be a bad ass daily. decent city mileage and high 20's highway with a 6 speed. Reliability is badass. I had zero issues from 38k - 72k except for oil changes. I miss my old GTO offften.

07+ 350z
the 2.8l Saab 9-3 Aero (LP9 is a Holden motor and it won all kinds of awards. intake, exhaust, tune, drive) if you can deal with FWD, turbo X if you can shell out a little more.

But for real, just get on autotrader and have fun cause you got money to spend. Google user reviews. BAM.

word sux
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
psh

just get a hayabusa and turbo it. you will get soooo much pussy brah

Akiros
05-28-2012, 03:00 PM
psh

just get a hayabusa and turbo it. you will get soooo much pussy brah

what a useless fucking post. You should go to hell.

Corbic
05-28-2012, 07:45 PM
what a useless fucking post. You should go to hell.

Says the boy recommending a GTO and a 350Z. :picardfp:

Corbic
05-28-2012, 07:51 PM

More the reason for the OP not to own one. At 17 HE IS the one causing them to have 143 deaths per million vehicles.

It's might be hard to believe looking at safety equipment lists, or even crash-test results, but you're statistically a few hundred times more likely to die if you're behind the wheel of a Nissan 350Z or Chevrolet Aveo than if you're in a Toyota Sienna or Audi A6.

Looking at driver deaths per million registered vehicle years, the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) has released its latest annual figures on a model-by-model basis and found a vast difference between models. For instance, the Nissan 350Z has the highest fatality rate, at 143 versus, a number of vehicles—including the Toyota Sienna, plus all-wheel-drive versions of the Audi A6 and Mercedes-Benz E-Class plus 4WD versions of a number of mid-size SUVs—essentially rounded down to zero.

But looking at the fatality-rate numbers at face value would be unfair. Of course, these rates don't have all that much to do with the relative safety of vehicles and are more indicative of typical use and location—as well as the demographics and driving styles of their drivers.

For the Nissan Z, for example, its high rate was mostly due to an especially high instance of single-vehicle crashes—a reckless-driving situation in which the vehicle leaves the roadway to hit a tree or barrier, for example. And the Chevy Malibu Classic has an especially high rate of deaths in multiple-vehicle crashes—likely related to how that model was used mostly in rental-car fleets, with travelers who are fatigued or in unfamiliar locales.

The latest results do point out a couple of very significant trends, however: First, that size counts; all but 3 of the 26 models with the lowest death rates are mid-size or larger, the IIHS points out. Second, even with the same weight class, SUVs are arguably now saferand have lower death rates. As we pointed out in separate posts, electronic stability control is working and has erased the rollover disadvantage once held.
The rates and rankings are calculated based on driver deaths only, not those of passengers, for model-year 2005-2008 vehicles during calendar years 2006 through 2009.

Filtering out multiple versions or body styles of like models, here are the vehicles with the highest rates of driver death:

Nissan 350Z – 143 (deaths per million registered vehicle miles)
Nissan Titan (crew cab) – 126
Chevrolet Aveo – 119
Chevrolet Cobalt (4-door) – 117
Kia Spectra – 102
Chevrolet Malibu Classic – 99
Hyundai Tiburon – 96
Nissan Versa – 96
Chevrolet Colorado (extended cab) – 93
Kia Rio – 89

IIHS-HLDI: Crash Testing & Highway Safety (http://www.iihs.org/)

For a first car safety really should be a concern. We all make mistakes, miss read situations and over evaluate our skills. With cars, those mistakes can often leave you crippled or dead. Insurance companies are absolutely right to rape youngsters.

fliprayzin240sx
05-28-2012, 08:27 PM
How the fuck is the Titan #2 on that list?!?! I havent heard a whole lot of folks flipping them or anything crazy. Head on collision, figured that shit just plow thru anything else on the list.

Akiros
05-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Says the boy recommending a GTO and a 350Z. :picardfp:

Because the chance of him being from a well of family is so unlikely. I'd like an educated opinion on better DD <-- choices. I like to learn too.

I disagree! Why? Because.
Great addition to the thread I might add.
Join bro in hell bro.

143 deaths per million vehicles is 0.000143%

It pretty much comes down to whether he is responsible or not to own a high powered car. Cars don't kill folks. Dumbs with cars do.

Bambi
05-28-2012, 09:32 PM
RX8 - lol rotary
350Z - HA! Insurance is stupid. The VQ isn't all that great either.
S13 - Not bad if you find a decent stock one. Maybe even automatic too ( they tend to be a lot easier to find clean and you can just 5 speed swap it).
S14 - Better, easier to find unmolested. Save some money and just buy a Zenki.
Evo - lol
STI - Whatever you have left over from buying it will just go to fixing it or whatever car/person/dog you hit.

This is why I figure he did not "save" the money. Any 17 year old smart enough to actually work and earn 20k is not dumb enough to then blow all that cash 1 year latter.
Being a 17 year old, you're right. I felt like shit when I was handing over my hard earned $3600.00 for my car. I have 3 jobs, 2 of which I have just to save money for school and, God forbid, any emergency that might occur. 3rd one is just so I can comfortably spend money on food, gas and little things like magazines.

Buying a house is actually stupid at his age.
It's borderline retarded. Especially if he can still live with his parents and there's no need (out of state school/etc.) to move out.

Just keep the money in the bank. Invest it in a CD or something, let it work for you and accumulate value while you finish HS and go to college.
Yes.

Point is, spending $20,000 or even anywhere near half that on a car at 17 is beyond stupid. Go to school. Leave debt free. Invest. ANYTHING, but spend it all on one thing especially a car that most likely kill you (or even worse, somebody else) while you're trying to impress the honey dips with your mad sik burn outz.

Daniel.
05-28-2012, 09:46 PM
RX8 - lol rotary
S13 - Not bad if you find a decent stock one. Maybe even automatic too ( they tend to be a lot easier to find clean and you can just 5 speed swap it).
Evo - lol
STI - Whatever you have left over from buying it will just go to fixing it or whatever car/person/dog you hit.

Being a 17 year old, you're right. I felt like shit when I was handing over my hard earned $3600.00 for my car. I have 3 jobs, 2 of which I have just to save money for school and, God forbid, any emergency that might occur. 3rd one is just so I can comfortably spend money on food, gas and little things like magazines.

It's borderline retarded. Especially if he can still live with his parents and there's no need (out of state school/etc.) to move out.

Yes.

Point is, spending $20,000 or even anywhere near half that on a car at 17 is beyond stupid. Go to school. Leave debt free. Invest. ANYTHING, but spend it all on one thing especially a car that most likely kill you (or even worse, somebody else) while you're trying to impress the honey dips with your mad sik burn outz.

You assume that just because someone buys a house, they have to live in it. He could rent it out for nearly as much or equal to his mortgage.

Make your money work for you, don't work for your money.

Think smart kid.

Bambi
05-28-2012, 10:33 PM
You assume that just because someone buys a house, they have to live in it. He could rent it out for nearly as much or equal to his mortgage.

Think smart kid.

He's on Zilvia asking for advice on what car to buy with $20,000.00

I do not believe he is capable of doing such a thing. Sorry.

Kuma
05-28-2012, 11:20 PM
Cars don't kill folks. Dumbs with cars do.

wut?

Think smart kid.

That's if he makes enough money to cover his ass if things don't go ideally. Assuming he doesn't get the perfect tennant the first time. They tear shit up, pay their rent late (or skip out all together) and it takes him a while to find new tennants. Likely that he then wouldn't have the money to pay the mortgage AND rent or whatever where he is living. Ruins his credit, and has to buy his next car at a "buy here pay here, everyone is approved" lot.

Akiros
05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Evo - lol

yeah. An s chassis would be a much better daily driver than a Z. The vq37hr is a terrible motor. Technosquare didn't made lsx hp numbers with just a tune.

wut?

What the fuck do you mean what? I'm saying that the type of individual owning the car carries more weight than a useless
statistic like 143 out of 1 million get wrecked. That's borderline superstition.

Kuma
05-28-2012, 11:34 PM
What the fuck do you mean what? I'm saying that the type of individual owning the car carries more weight than a useless
statistic like 143 out of 1 million get wrecked. That's borderline superstition.

Did that go over your head? You're on a car forum, so it is reasonable to assume you have a car. Then you said "Cars don't kill folks. Dumbs with cars do."

Irony?

Akiros
05-28-2012, 11:44 PM
It's light humor, it means dumb people. I'm sorry you can't utilize your imagination. Yes I have a car.

Anyways, to illustrate my point:

Hey, think twice about owning a Z, 143 out of 1 MILLION registered get wrecked!
There are more than 143 stupid people out of every 1 Million people.
Think about it.

Kuma
05-29-2012, 12:18 AM
It's light humor, it means dumb people. I'm sorry you can't utilize your imagination. Yes I have a car.

Think about it.

I never said anything about statistics... I was just pointing out the irony in you calling someone dumb and looking dumb at the same time... Kind of like when fat people call another person fat. I shouldn't have to use my imagination to interpret your posts... This is a forum, not the chronicles of narnia.

You don't need much more than common sense to know that a kid shouldn't buy a sportscar.

Corbic
05-29-2012, 04:42 AM

Think about it.

What is your point? That you are and idiot? If so, win.

That is 143 DEATHs, not accidents, per million registered VEHICLES, not 350Z.

In 2009 there was 254,212,610 registered vehicles. 193 million are passenger cars. That then means 27,599 people have died driving the 350Z.

With ~1.5 million Zs produced or sold that means 1 in 54 owners have died since 2003. Shits like driving the Space Shuttle.

Corbic
05-29-2012, 04:44 AM
Further more, there are cars on that list, like the A6, that have never had a death reported.

mantas
05-29-2012, 08:36 AM
Ive seen two 350's at a junk yard right after they came out and i really doubt anyone survived in both of those cars. Now on the house subject, what makes all of you think this kid will get a loan for a home? That 20k down is useless without a loan. And once again i think this kid needs a jeep.

raz0rbladez909
05-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Jeep FTW, and that kid better have impeccable credit and a job that shows he can even pull the income to fund a house. Gone are the days where they will approve anyone, even though the interest rates have dropped substantially, there are alot more checks and balances now.

Scope240sx
05-29-2012, 08:57 AM
For your first car, DO NOT get RWD. You WILL fuck it up. ESPECIALLY cause you want to be race man joe. Honestly an integra wouldnt be that bad since you're a scrub. But you dont need an FR as your first, your're not takumi. And if you want to retain any skill dont just jump into an AWD either. Let the car come to you and dont spend more than 3k on it. TRUST!

CASH S13
05-29-2012, 09:22 AM
I'm 16 and own a 240sx coupe... My insurance is 2k a year because of a speeding ticket. 64 in a 40:) I suggest if u buy a "sportscar" don't get caught speeding:)

OutlawLui
05-29-2012, 09:28 AM
haha.....awww, that was a good read.

oscarsx
05-29-2012, 09:33 AM
I'm 16 and own a 240sx coupe... My insurance is 2k a year because of a speeding ticket. 64 in a 40:) I suggest if u buy a "sportscar" don't get caught speeding:)

don't be proud of that, do yourself and others a favor and burn your permit.

Sent from my DROID X2

mantas
05-29-2012, 09:38 AM
don't be proud of that, do yourself and others a favor and burn your permit.

Sent from my DROID X2

Or do 64 off a cliff instead.

Corbic
05-29-2012, 09:40 AM

Congrats dipshit.

I own a 350Z, 240sx, 4runner, RX300 and a Camaro.

$1,600 a year full coverage.

Daniel.
05-29-2012, 09:47 AM
wut?

That's if he makes enough money to cover his ass if things don't go ideally. Assuming he doesn't get the perfect tennant the first time. They tear shit up, pay their rent late (or skip out all together) and it takes him a while to find new tennants. Likely that he then wouldn't have the money to pay the mortgage AND rent or whatever where he is living. Ruins his credit, and has to buy his next car at a "buy here pay here, everyone is approved" lot.

My mistake. I keep forgetting that this is idiotic Zilvia where no one posting here has any sort of idea how to make long term, fiscally and/or socially responsible decisions.

Carry on folks.

ManoNegra
05-29-2012, 09:58 AM
Interesting thread but at the end of the day an exercise in futility
I don't know any 17 year old that's been given good advice and actually followed it

shhyguuy
05-29-2012, 10:06 AM
Eff it, get him a GT-R for his first car, it makes about as much sense. Better yet why not let him take it to his learners permit test.

EnemyS15
05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
17 with 20k!?!?! How I wish I had that when I was 17. I got a better idea than blowing it on a car. Dump 12k into a cd or a low yielding IRA. DO NOT TOUCH IT until you are 30 (cause this is when the real fun times start for man) and you will have .............. wait for it............... MO MONIES! Have your money work for you while you have fun.

12000.00 compounding @ a shitty 3% will put you at around (this is a guestimate) close to 18-20k.

drift2010
05-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Sooooo basically, this was my problem too...
I'm 31, broke, Still live in my parent house.
I've saved up around $500.
Ive been looking to fast car that would take me to any drift event.
I've also been wanting to get into modding it such as LS1, LS2, LSx, LS7, or possible Jet power.
Theres were the cars i had in mind.
GT-R, Panamera, Murcielago or Gallardo.
Looking to buy new or used. any suggestions? I can make payment $200/month since I'm working part time at mcdonald around the corner.
lol

Akiros
05-29-2012, 11:18 AM
That is 143 DEATHs, not accidents, per million registered VEHICLES, not 350Z.

In 2009 there was 254,212,610 registered vehicles. 193 million are passenger cars. That then means 27,599 people have died driving the 350Z.

With ~1.5 million Zs produced or sold that means 1 in 54 owners have died since 2003. Shits like driving the Space Shuttle.

I tend to smoke too much. That makes a lot of sense.

Bambi
05-29-2012, 11:24 AM
For your first car, DO NOT get RWD. You WILL fuck it up. ESPECIALLY cause you want to be race man joe. Honestly an integra wouldnt be that bad since you're a scrub. But you dont need an FR as your first, your're not takumi. And if you want to retain any skill dont just jump into an AWD either. Let the car come to you and dont spend more than 3k on it. TRUST!
I agree with the $3k on a car but I'm 17 and have owned 5 cars and only one was FWD and that was a Civic I only had for 6 days before I sold it for a profit. My first car being a 5 speed s13 coupe an my current a 5 speed e36 318is with A few tiny things done. It's more of being a dipshit when driving or being responsible. I for example have never been pulled over and my insurance is $71.00 a month with AAA.

But I mean, I guess if he's just wanting a go fast at then either he'll get some RWD car and fuck that up or get some cute civic and fuck that up trying to rally race in it aroun his neighborhood or do some ebrake "drifts" at intersections.

Point is, regardless of what part of the car the power is going to he's destined to fuck it up some how some way.

Wow...

theicecreamdan
05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
The stat is deaths per million MILES

Akiros
05-29-2012, 11:48 AM
The stat is deaths per million MILES

so if that was over three years, at an average of 12k / year...

if my math is right then its more like 1 in 4500 Z owners die.

it's pretty cool to know that no one has ever died driving certain cars though I have to say.

drpsnwbrdr
05-29-2012, 12:10 PM
I vote for a first gen Impreza, or a 1st/2nd gen Legacy. Easy to work on with basic tools, reliable and cheap to maintain (if you take car of it and go to junkyards,) can go anywhere (with the right tires,) and cheap insurance.

slowvia
05-29-2012, 05:33 PM

How many idiots drive a "Racecar" on the street but are only doing 45mph? How many idiots are driving "driftcar" but are only going straight?

Current Ford Ranger is rated at 22/27, so spare me the "OMFG they burn gas" bullshit. Not every truck out there gets 10mpg, and not ever car out there gets 30mpg.

:facepalm:
Love you Zilvia trolls:kiss: "OMG ur opinion is different from mine!"
The OP has officially left the thread and you're still arguing, lol
:drama:

z32boy
05-31-2012, 01:57 AM
-1997 S14 kouki $6000
-Put $6000 in savings
-Win at life.

+1

Or invest it all and make bank!

Corbic
05-31-2012, 04:25 AM
:facepalm:
Love you Zilvia trolls:kiss: "OMG ur opinion is different from mine!"
The OP has officially left the thread and you're still arguing, lol
:drama:

So sorry you got called out on your ignorant statements.

slowvia
05-31-2012, 09:51 AM
So sorry you got called out on your ignorant statements.

You're my favorite person on here. :love:
We should grab a coffee sometime

Phlip
05-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Anyone notice that the OP has not been into this thread since the night/morning he posted it?

oscarsx
05-31-2012, 02:14 PM
we got trolled.

Sent from my DROID X2

mantas
05-31-2012, 02:58 PM
Yup, another dumbass who lives under the bridge came in and got us..

slowvia
05-31-2012, 05:37 PM
Anyone notice that the OP has not been into this thread since the night/morning he posted it?

The OP has officially left the thread

messagelength

moth
06-01-2012, 04:25 PM
http://youtu.be/oHg5SJYRHA0 the only thing left to do

raz0rbladez909
06-01-2012, 04:40 PM
RickRoll'D - YouTube (http://youtu.be/oHg5SJYRHA0) the only thing left to do

Lol :picardfp: You're gonna get pinked good for that one

moth
06-01-2012, 04:48 PM
hopefully not:p