PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any tips on getting into a magazine?

PSI240SX
02-08-2004, 02:29 PM
I would like to see if I could get my car into a magazine. I dont go to car shows or anything so I wouldnt normally run into a person who shoots for one. I dont know where to start, and wanted to see if anyone on this forum has had their car featured or knows how to get in touch with someone who can decide weather my car is worthy of a feature. TIA for your help.

darithS
02-08-2004, 02:33 PM
enter car shows

HyperTek
02-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Riced out 240s get no where... S15 front and nice conversion with jdm parts would get attention at car shows. Cheap Nismo style kits are no no. Tuner rims (i.e. Velox, Tenzo, and APC parts) wont get anywhere either. Or with teh recent boom of the drift scene, become a good driver and enter competition events, your sure to get coverage.

I myself have been seen in the background of magazines at events, hey its a start! hehe

Kid Zelda
02-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Riced out 240s get no where... S15 front and nice conversion with jdm parts would get attention at car shows. Cheap Nismo style kits are no no. Tuner rims (i.e. Velox, Tenzo, and APC parts) wont get anywhere either. Or with teh recent boom of the drift scene, become a good driver and enter competition events, your sure to get coverage.

I myself have been seen in the background of magazines at events, hey its a start! hehe

Hhahaa, that is great advice coming from someone who works for/ did/ or associated to importfan b/s

HyperTek
02-08-2004, 03:51 PM
I dont work there anymore. THey do get JDM stuff tho. Who else sells Ikeya formula ant BN Sports? lol

s0ldats
02-08-2004, 04:14 PM
takakaira. (for the ikeya goods)

PSI240SX
02-08-2004, 04:30 PM

no rice here...
http://216.118.105.123/jay/SilviaLatest/FrontQuaterHigh.jpg

neevosh
02-08-2004, 04:40 PM
Send your pictures in to car magazines. They all have those readers rides sections, and they pick cars to be featured sometimes.

Zemus
02-08-2004, 05:31 PM
Send your pictures in to car magazines. They all have those readers rides sections, and they pick cars to be featured sometimes.
Thats what I would reccomend

HyperTek
02-08-2004, 05:54 PM
hey man!! send em some of ur drift vids when u send in readers rides section!!

matlock
02-08-2004, 06:38 PM
I read in one of the older SuperStreets on their reccomendations on how to get into car magazines, or good ways to get featured. I tried searching www.superstreetonline.com for a while, but I remember it was probably about summertime and they had tips on photo taking procedures and stuff, and making a portfolio basically....maybe try searching the site, or going through old superstreets if you have any.

HyperTek
02-08-2004, 06:52 PM
mention Hulk Hogan giving you thumbs up!! ahaha

sidewaze
02-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Hey man what's up. Iv seen normal 240's get in mag's before. The best advice I can give you is to look different and clean. That and submit a few pic's of the finished product too. Good luck. Easy.

kuruptR
02-08-2004, 07:24 PM
if you really want to get in a magazine, take a few pictures email them to some editors, sometimes they like them sometimes they dont.... the car has to be nuts to make the cover.

I emailed people with pics...(lol this is my for my other ride) SUVtoday performance auto... just some gay magazines too see if i could get feature... they said yes... but i never sent them pictures hehe. Ego boosters are awesome.

Dousan_PG
02-08-2004, 08:22 PM
show your boobs

S13SilviaGirl
02-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Magazines want a car that will make the magazine SELL.
That and knowing people that work at a magazine can help you out too...haha

DRFT
02-08-2004, 08:40 PM
talk to jdm rice ahha he made it onto import tuner,

and get street glows

AceInHole
02-08-2004, 10:02 PM
befriend a writer

nightwalker
02-08-2004, 10:14 PM
give hummers

wylin
02-08-2004, 11:05 PM
befried ricky chu or any other magazine editor. www.rikdaddy.com is a good place to start.

phrozen
02-08-2004, 11:18 PM
get some sponsors, with lots of stickers on the doors or fenders.

No Motiv
02-08-2004, 11:22 PM
no rice here...
http://216.118.105.123/jay/SilviaLatest/FrontQuaterHigh.jpg

did you buy this car off Ebay??....hahah you did.

umm well magazine wise...um duh send them pics...and Car shows are for sure...now that the whole drifting...sivlia..240 thing is uber big and popular, im sure you have a good chance of getting noticed at a car show by photographers....pimp.....oh ya and cross your fingers :x:

Dousan_PG
02-08-2004, 11:27 PM
um..im pretty sure PSI built that car himself. he sells them..his old one was sold too

pretty sure...

AceInHole
02-09-2004, 12:19 AM
um..im pretty sure PSI built that car himself. he sells them..his old one was sold too

pretty sure...
is that a hunch or did the search button tell you that?? :w00t:

PSI240SX
02-09-2004, 05:45 AM
nah its my car, built from the ground up. it didnt sell on ebay. Thanks for the suggestions... I emailed all of the editors at Sport compact car, we'll see what happens. As for the stickers..... F that. If thats what it comes down to, it wont be featured while I own it. I am not looking for a cover or anything, I know it's not right for that, but I figured maybe a small 2-3 page feature in the middle somewhere :)

BlackS14
02-09-2004, 05:59 AM
mention Hulk Hogan giving you thumbs up!! ahaha

Hahaha...I think I may be the only other person here who gets that seeing as how I saw Jay soon after Hulk told him that Sat night.....I think that was the most giddy I have ever seen you Jay....lol...cool shit though.

Is that a Skyline???...HAHAHAHA...Hulkster rocks....

-Bill

rrobe99999
02-09-2004, 07:17 AM
That car is very clean and looks great. Don't change anything on the car to get in a mag. Well, maybe paint the hood. The only suggestion I can add to what's already been said, is send great pictures. Lighting and background are the keys. Good backgrounds include fancy public buildings, beautiful nature spots, and mansions with circular driveways.

sykikchimp
02-09-2004, 12:12 PM
Make sure your sending in the pics to mags that would actually feature your car.

Some mags these days are more into looks, and for looks to happen you need a great interior as well as exterior. Audio installs are usually a major bonus.

If you don't want to change anything. Try GRM. They have been really pushing 240's, and drifting lately.

PSI240SX
02-09-2004, 12:19 PM
****UPDATE****

Feature Editor Jared Holstein for Sport Compact car writes:

Please call me at your convenience, I'd like to get a form filled out so we can feature your car.

Regards,
Jared

WOOT!!!! heheh Suh-Weet!!!!!

DSC
02-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Nice going Jay. You should post a copy of the letter you sent for educational purposes :)