PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber doors

SW20Racer
02-08-2004, 02:16 AM
i see some companies starting to make cf doors for 86's and s13's but i havent seen any1 offerring anything other than that (i searched all damn day too) any1 kno of a company offering to make them per a persons specific application??

xTylerx
02-08-2004, 02:21 AM
Making a door isn't as easy as just measuring and cutting, a lot of work and R&D goes into it so no company is going to spend all that time and money just to create templates for every single door in the USDM market.

You might be able to find a local place and drop off your door and they can make it completly custom for you, but it won't be cheap.

Not to mention you will want a roll cage or somthing, if you get tboned and all you have between the other car and you is CF then your screwed.

SW20Racer
02-08-2004, 02:31 AM
my plan was to first find a company who either has 93 mr2 cf doors or is willing to make them if there was a group buy or whatever and then go from there as far as a cage goes i got that covered as soon as i get my seats & replace the crappy factory audio im having a custom cage built(harness bar and everything) cuz i kno about the dangers of mounting harnesses below shoulder height & stuff

SW20Racer
02-08-2004, 02:38 AM
the first step in my plan is to replace as much of the body as i can with cf (hood, front fenders, t-tops, air scoops, dors, engine lid, & trunk lid) cost isnt the issue and everything i just named except the doors fenders and t-tops are available if i can just find a vendor...

andrave
02-08-2004, 01:35 PM
who has S13 doors? Cwest?

black s13
02-08-2004, 03:51 PM
theres a place here in charlottesville Va, called Valence. they do all carbon stuff. they do amazing work, and they guy is really nice. their website is http://www.valenceusa.com

they defenitly arent cheap, but you get what you pay for, several sites have said they do some of the best carbon work available.

matlock
02-08-2004, 06:05 PM
I have seen that site before they have some pretty nice looking stuff on there. I just don't have that kind of money to throw down on carbon parts. lol

black s13
02-08-2004, 06:41 PM
yeah, he quoted me $1800 for full door interior. i was like "damn...." but the end product would be well worth it. the owner is really good at what he does, and a great guy. He hooked me up with a small pieceof carbon fiber, talked to me about how to work it, and showed me around the shop, i took probably 45 minutes of his time and he charged me $8.

if anyone is seriously interested i can go talk to him, see what he has to say about doing some 240 stuff.

Ghettokracker71
02-08-2004, 07:46 PM
yeah, he quoted me $1800 for full door interior. i was like "damn...." but the end product would be well worth it. the owner is really good at what he does, and a great guy. He hooked me up with a small pieceof carbon fiber, talked to me about how to work it, and showed me around the shop, i took probably 45 minutes of his time and he charged me $8.

if anyone is seriously interested i can go talk to him, see what he has to say about doing some 240 stuff.
I wish somebody made C-F front fenders for pop-ups...and C-F front bumper...the one that looks like this http://store6.yimg.com/I/phase2motorsports_1774_357250 ....although I'd paint them so you can't tell...for weight savings :rawk: ....

EDIT:Honestly I'd do widebody if it was C-F and not damn PFR...talk about :Owned: in a wreck

EDIT AGAIN:then again....C-F isn't that much better...lol

SW20Racer
02-08-2004, 08:58 PM
importfan.com has some cf bumpers but i duno how good a product they put out...might try extremedimensions.com too

RBBaby
02-09-2004, 06:27 AM
EDIT AGAIN:then again....C-F isn't that much better...lol

my friend totalled his wrx at 120 mph, and only 2 body parts survived: His carbon fiber hood, and carbon fiber front bumper. I'd beg to differ that it "isnt much better"

Ghettokracker71
02-09-2004, 09:48 AM
my friend totalled his wrx at 120 mph, and only 2 body parts survived: His carbon fiber hood, and carbon fiber front bumper. I'd beg to differ that it "isnt much better"
My point was not the PART surviving....its ME(and my girlfreind:D) surviving.....I take it your freind is pretty fucked up? I just hope it wasn't on the street he did that...

my thinking w/C-F hood,and bumper was that there is still PLENTY of stolid metal and what-not in between me and the other driver....I like the fact that C-F is extremely strong,but I have no clue how it responds to an impact...and I would love to know.....

EDIT:I definitely am doing C-F hood,and if I can find it...front bumper,....I love the look of the black C-F hood...esspecially with a red car:) :eek3d:

RBBaby
02-09-2004, 01:52 PM
My point was not the PART surviving....its ME(and my girlfreind:D) surviving.....I take it your freind is pretty fucked up? I just hope it wasn't on the street he did that...

my thinking w/C-F hood,and bumper was that there is still PLENTY of stolid metal and what-not in between me and the other driver....I like the fact that C-F is extremely strong,but I have no clue how it responds to an impact...and I would love to know.....

EDIT:I definitely am doing C-F hood,and if I can find it...front bumper,....I love the look of the black C-F hood...esspecially with a red car:) :eek3d:

naah, he was fine, it was on public roads, but his car had an 8 point rollbar and he had a harness on. he was still hurt, broke alot of stuff o his left arm below the elbow, and his left shin, but for a 120mph wreck... he was ok.

SilviaNinja240
02-09-2004, 02:31 PM
I've also heard a lot of urban legends about CF hoods cutting people in half after a colision. I'll have to see if I can find any pics of what CF hoods look like after an acident.

SW20Racer
02-09-2004, 03:03 PM
yeah ive seen alot of cf hoods survive wrecks with just scratches they very durable @ www.mmrusa.com u can dload a video of them demostrating there cf hood w/a guy jumping on it. i never heard anything about ppl gettin cut in half though

Ghettokracker71
02-09-2004, 07:45 PM
yeah ive seen alot of cf hoods survive wrecks with just scratches they very durable @ www.mmrusa.com u can dload a video of them demostrating there cf hood w/a guy jumping on it. i never heard anything about ppl gettin cut in half though
I haven't either.....then again,...mississippi(no offence,its definitely gotta be a better place then VA) and virginia compared to san francisco....I mean....he has the potential to hear alot more then we ever could....and besides,some dude jumping on a hood when its laying on the ground isn't a good test...........I mean, [email protected] VS. 3,[email protected](est. of course)

I really am going to try to find out about this...........anybody here anything post it PLEASE

No Motiv
02-09-2004, 11:19 PM
I know they make some sort of carbon fiber doors for an R34 Skyline...some weird company though...but i have never herd of it....you could probably just buy a sheet of CF and custom make carbon fiber door inserts....but fulll doors that would be hella expensive

ryan hagen
02-09-2004, 11:57 PM
like the pics you see of cf hoods, the car will be rolling and there will be complete doors lfying throught the air, i think it awas aabout 850 for a cf door and shipping from japan, the place also sold lexan or plexi windows, it was featured in super street or scc i think last winter

aznxplayer
02-09-2004, 11:57 PM
in the japanese magazines i saw them sellin some cf doors for an s13....i think it was drift tengoku....pretty sure it was about 1200 dollars....not sure though i lost the magazine....but they make em in japan

SW20Racer
02-11-2004, 11:46 AM
well if any1 finds something b4 i do post up here & let me kno please

SW20Racer
02-11-2004, 12:13 PM
i forgot to mention that mississippi cant be better than any other state...maybe alabama....but in general mississippi sux much ass

Silvias14240sx
03-16-2004, 09:49 PM

I know this is pretty old thread but I figured it'd be better then starting a new one...was that 1800 for an actual door or 1800 for an interior door panel?!

black s13
03-16-2004, 10:11 PM
just the tweed part, like where your arm rests. not even the whole inside. defenitly not the whole door.

like i said, anything you guys need, i can drop off my extra s13 parts, just let me know, and ill get some prices.

TheSnail
03-16-2004, 10:23 PM
HPI Racing sells carbon fiber doors for s13 and s15, They are 1000$ a peice. I am about to buy their acrilic windows for 1200. Check them aout if you want light wieght stuff. hope you have 2g's ready. The doors though are compleat replicas of the stock doors, and you can roll your window up and down. The are 15pounds lighter a peice then stock ones.

Silvias14240sx
03-16-2004, 10:26 PM
HPI Racing sells carbon fiber doors for s13 and s15, They are 1000$ a peice. I am about to buy their acrilic windows for 1200. Check them aout if you want light wieght stuff. hope you have 2g's ready. The doors though are compleat replicas of the stock doors, and you can roll your window up and down. The are 15pounds lighter a peice then stock ones.

You mean s14?! Thats screwy that they'd make it for an s13 and s15 but not the damn s14 lol! $1000.00 a peice seems kind of cheap...whats their site?

Silvias14240sx
03-16-2004, 10:30 PM
just the tweed part, like where your arm rests. not even the whole inside. defenitly not the whole door.

like i said, anything you guys need, i can drop off my extra s13 parts, just let me know, and ill get some prices.

Well I have an s14 so I guess the quote wouldnt be quite the same but I'd die to find a carbon door for an s14 and be able to use the stock interior features!!! I'm sure it'd be damn expensive but theres a price to pay for quality and to be one of the only ones with something...

Kain_Pabyeda
03-17-2004, 02:00 AM
$1056.59 U.S.
HPI:
http://www.hpi.co.jp/eng-newparts.html
Scroll to the bottom

Silvias14240sx
03-17-2004, 02:12 AM
$1056.59 U.S.
HPI:
http://www.hpi.co.jp/eng-newparts.html
Scroll to the bottom

Thats queer they dont make cf doors for the s14! Anyone know of a company that does?

tchenku
03-17-2004, 06:29 AM
$1100 for 15lbs weight loss is not worth it imo

you could:
go on a diet (you and/or your car)
reduce unsprung weight

gosuS14
03-17-2004, 01:42 PM
I think i know someone who can make carbon fiber anything, but it has to be a big enough deal for him to make it...., i was just wondering: If you could buy something for your car,made out of cf, what would it be? Perhaps i could get him to make some cf stuff for 240's...and s14's!

tchenku
03-17-2004, 03:47 PM
CF rims :coolugh:

Var
03-17-2004, 04:39 PM
shit that may or may not work in carbon fiber but would be cool to have(some of it is already available):

driveshaft, rims, racing seats, braces, full carbon replacement dashboard, full carbon fiber steering wheel, replacement floorboard,rear view mirrors, carbon roll cage wrapped in kevlar(so it doesnt shatter), firewall, calipers, full subframe, uprights, seat rails, shifter assembly, control arms, gas tank, motor mounts, tension rods, tie rods,

nightwalker
03-17-2004, 11:48 PM
got a link to this stuff?????

Ghettokracker71
03-18-2004, 09:21 AM
got a link to this stuff?????
wow that I was thinking

Var
03-18-2004, 10:42 AM
ehh just call any F1 team, i'm sure they'll hook you up lol. I said some of it may be available and some of it i'm not sure if you can get.