PDA

View Full Version : White Smoke from Crankcase Breather?

COstyle
02-07-2004, 12:53 PM
What does white smoke coming from the crankcase breather mean? Bad headgasket? Bad turbo? Excessive crankcase pressure? Any thoughts please let me know, thanks....

Colt

blu808
02-07-2004, 01:46 PM
is it coming from the valve cover breather? or the crankcase breather underneath and to the rear of the turbo?
Prob just blow by. mine does the same thing.

COstyle
02-07-2004, 02:05 PM
is it coming from the valve cover breather? or the crankcase breather underneath and to the rear of the turbo?
Prob just blow by. mine does the same thing.

Oh my bad I guess its the valve cover breather. This is on an sr20det powered 240 im looking at possiblly buying. The seller described it to me and said it could need a headgasket. What do you think? Thanks...

the240sxer95
02-07-2004, 02:13 PM
my friends turbo si, has smoke coming out of that, for him that means he f*cked it up hahah.. anyone know what it is?

piston rings? or.,

blu808
02-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Its prob water in the oil then. It could be a number of things. If you can. Compression test it. Then leak down test it to see if it has a bad valve, rings, or a head gasket.

If it just sits there smoking while idling its prob a head gasket. Remove the oil cap, and look on the underside of it. if there is any green, or white residue on it then its either a blown head gasket or a cracked block.

You can also frain the oil, if the oil looks like a greenish whitish milkshake, then you have probs.

forcefedb16
02-09-2004, 08:19 AM
On my supercharged Honda it meant that I had blown the ringlandings out of two pistons. Hope thats not the case with you.

the240sxer95
02-09-2004, 12:17 PM
hahah yup yup yup, we figured that out last night.. blown ringlands.. i REALLY hope that isnt the problem with you COSTYLE =]

steve shadows
02-09-2004, 02:22 PM
hahah yup yup yup, we figured that out last night.. blown ringlands.. i REALLY hope that isnt the problem with you COSTYLE =]
:newbie:
should be a happy happy blown rings or ring lands, also does the smoke dissapate is it steam? you have to do a lot of things wrong to blow ring lands on sr. Ive done it once a long time ago. Time to find a new stock bottom end or resleeve and new pistons , thrust bearings, rod bearings, piston rings etc... :bigok:

he he he

-steve

COstyle
02-09-2004, 03:38 PM
Will a leakdown test confirm blow rings or ringlands? Like I said before this is on a car I am looking to buy. He told me its probably the headgasket which I figured isn't so bad. Will blow rings affect performance? He said it still pulls like it always did.

forcefedb16
02-09-2004, 07:24 PM
On mine it idled rough and when the car was not under boost it ran really rough. As soon as I got into boost the car pulled strong. Apparently being under boost applied enough pressue to push the cracks in the lands together and the car ran fine. A compression check or a leak down test will tell you for sure. Good luck man.

steve shadows
02-09-2004, 10:46 PM
He's telling you it runs like it always has because he's trying to sell a car. To you tell girls that you smell funny when you try to take them out? Common sense. Smoke out of the crank case equals bad rings no matter what. Bad rings have to equal lower compression. This has to mean lower performance. Again a logic issue.

if it's a nice car and a CHEAP DEAL, buy it swap out the SR for a bare SR longblock, and swap the accesorie's. Try WWW.heavythrottle.com or www.Sr20store.com to source this up.

If you are interested in the Performance/tuning aspect, this situation put's you ahead. With a decently together long block, sleeve's, custom pistons, polished head, and cams can all be built up without sacrificeing you're daily driving capapbilities without down time on the car. If you are interested in these types of modifacation, we can provide you from mild to wild on the bottom end. Copy and paste the URL in the signature.

John/STEVE

COstyle
02-09-2004, 11:03 PM
He's telling you it runs like it always has because he's trying to sell a car. To you tell girls that you smell funny when you try to take them out? Common sense. Smoke out of the crank case equals bad rings no matter what. Bad rings have to equal lower compression. This has to mean lower performance. Again a logic issue.

if it's a nice car and a CHEAP DEAL, buy it swap out the SR for a bare SR longblock, and swap the accesorie's. Try WWW.heavythrottle.com or www.Sr20store.com to source this up.

If you are interested in the Performance/tuning aspect, this situation put's you ahead. With a decently together long block, sleeve's, custom pistons, polished head, and cams can all be built up without sacrificeing you're daily driving capapbilities without down time on the car. If you are interested in these types of modifacation, we can provide you from mild to wild on the bottom end. Copy and paste the URL in the signature.

John/STEVE

If that is the case then it is out of the question. The reason I'm looking for an s13 w/ an SR already installed is because I don't have the time/money/space to do the swap myself. Im looking for a nice platform to start with so why buy a car with a blown SR instead of starting from scratch with a 240 and a clip or motorset. The car im looking at is nice and was just repainted and such but he wants $7,000 for it. So if it was a headgasket I was going to entertain the idea but a bottom end rebuild, F that. Plus he says the tranny grinds so I was planning on replacing that too.