PDA

View Full Version : Scratching on early model year 240s

nightwalker
02-06-2004, 03:18 PM
I was wondering if anyone has this problem. My windows are really scratched up near the pillar. It's kind of by your head. The driver and passenger side windows both have the scratches. I first thought it was a weird phenomenom, and something in my door dropped and was causeing it, but my friend also has it in his 89 coupe. What is causing this? and how do I fix it?

soulDistortion
02-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Let me guess, you've got manual windows, and whenever you crank them up or down, they make a sound that sort of sounds like something scraping against the glass.

I've got the same problem too, with the same scratches (I have an 89 fastback).

My guess is that since the car is old, the parts related to the window mechanism are wearing down and making contact with the glass.

nightwalker
02-06-2004, 11:50 PM
actually I have power windows. The scratches are pretty darn big. They don't make any sounds, thats the wierd part. I know I'm not the only one with this problem. It's an eye sore.

soulDistortion
02-07-2004, 12:23 AM
well, when the weather warms up i'm going to take apart my doors to see what's up. if i find anything and you don't already have your answer, i'll post it up.

hondaguy
02-07-2004, 09:57 AM
ihave that problem too mine are manual....after a while of scrappin the wire inside the door snaped and the window just fell.so i had to take the door panel off and tie the wire so the window stayed up now it dont roll down...but now i cant floss when its sunny im gonna have that shit fixed thanks for reminding me

phrozen
02-07-2004, 02:02 PM
u could try that new stuff on tv for eye glasses lol... but i have that problem too on my dirvers side and on my front windshield, some bastard thought it would be funny to scratch up my windshield just int he right place where my line of sight is

Rennen
02-07-2004, 06:30 PM
On my 89 with manual windows I also have a 1" wide scratch up the window. I had the door panels off a few times and it seems like there is a guide that holds the window against the seals. IIRC, on my car one side had a sort of fabric over the guides on one side, but not the other. I also didn't really care enough to fix it, its not like my car is showy anyway. Take your door panel off to check it out, its just a couple screws...

-Matt

shinhed
06-11-2004, 12:41 PM
My 89 coupe also suffers the same fate. I was on the way out my house to get a free estimate or some new glass from the junker.