PDA

View Full Version : lsd install

Mr. Spool
02-06-2004, 08:05 AM
I have the lsd with no pumpkin from a 240. I am wondering if it is possible to install it into my non lsd differential. If so how difficult would it be. any info would be apreciated. Thanks.

philbro
02-06-2004, 08:12 AM
do you have the output shafts? If not then you will need them. otherwise do a search there are countless thread regarding this topic.

Mr. Spool
02-06-2004, 08:21 AM
I have seen lots of threads on replacing the pumpkin, but all I have is the gear lookin thing in the middle. I dont know much about lsd's and didint even know if it possible to swap the internals. If anybody knows of anythreads that cover this already I would apreciate the info.

240eggsx
02-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Remove the ring gear from the VLSD and put the one from your open diff on it. Remove the bearing inner races from your open diff and press them onto the VLSD. It is imperative that you do not mix up the right and left hand spacers and bearing outer races. Install into the VLSD into the pumpkin in reverse order. You will then need to source some VLSD output shafts. Thats all there is to it.

Mr. Spool
02-06-2004, 02:25 PM
Thanks, so all I need is the gear, and output shafts from the vlsd, Can the shafts be purchased anywhere used or cheap or do I have to go dealer on these items.

240eggsx
02-06-2004, 06:05 PM
You misunderstand... You want to re-use the ring gear on the open diff unit. The output shafts can be bought at the dealer, but they are $$$.

sykikchimp
02-06-2004, 09:54 PM
You need an FSM.. the procedure is outlined in detail.. You can dowload the FSM.. I believe someone just recently posted a link to it.