PDA

View Full Version : heads up display swap????'s

nismo2491
02-05-2004, 08:23 PM
Guys I'd like to start off with an apology. I'm sure this post has been done 10million times but for some reason search doesn't work at the top for me, it says I didn't enter the three word minumum when I searched for "heads up display" even added a few more irrelevant words to try to at least get something.
Anyways heres the question. While at the junkyard today I grabbed a 90 240sx heads up display and figured it'd be cool to put that in my car. I need a good speedometer since mine stopped working anyways so its all cool. the only thing is the question. IS this a direct swap? or do i have to do custom wiring? or what? I can cut the hole in the dash and stuff to mount it but not sure what to do with the rest. is it just plug and play? also can I switch out the tachs to my dohc tach and still work right or would I be better off just getting a aftermarket tach like I planned to do and never look at the factory sohc tach in the dash. thanks
KEvin

Uniac
02-05-2004, 09:08 PM
Your trying to put it in a Hatch then i guess. Well you're gonna need a new windsheild i believe, and the harness and all the other crap attaced to it. I'm not sure totaly whats involved, but i'm sure it's a hassel, but someone who's actually done it, can help you on the dirty details.

bing
02-05-2004, 09:15 PM
dont need a new windsheild, you can see it fine...

get all the parts necesary and swap it.. thats it..

my buddy had to fab his own harness, all he did was crack my cluster out and copy mine. took him a couple hours max

DuffMan
02-05-2004, 10:27 PM
You need the digital cluster and harness for everything to direct swap. Then you need to cut the hole.

Uniac
02-05-2004, 10:44 PM
Bing i din't know you was a member?

Anyways, then what the heck is that stupid thing for on the coupe in the windsheild? If it's not needed then i'm gonna just replace my windsheild with a normal one then and get the HUD out of a coupe i saw in Hamilton.

DuffMan
02-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Anyways, then what the heck is that stupid thing for on the coupe in the windsheild? If it's not needed then i'm gonna just replace my windsheild with a normal one then and get the HUD out of a coupe i saw in Hamilton.

It's not 100% neccessary but it helps make the hud clearer. You can use a piece of tint, that would help too.

KiDyNomiTe
02-05-2004, 11:34 PM
use tint, that'll let you see it in the day. But at night or on a cloudy day its perfectly visible and very bright sometimes annoying at night, but you can dim it. Has three settings, Bright (press the button thing for your guage light all the way up like normal), dim (press the button one down or more), and off press the button on your cluster that changes from kmh to mph.

Install is easy, plug and play with harness, cutting the hole is a bitch. I opted to cut it closer to the middle and closer to me (so it shows higher and more in the middle), its just not in all the way cuz I am lazy but it doesnt move. W/o removing your dash you probably wont be able to cut the hole in its stock location.

nismo2491
02-05-2004, 11:36 PM
yeah I've heard the tint is needed. for the harness is it just the 1ft harness that plugs into the digital dash then to the chasis harness? I have that (of course I noticed it plugged on both ends after I cut it out, so its cut in half, oh well, I'm not a master at auto wiring for nothing). any reccomendations for the actual percentage of tint?
might go back tomorrow and grab the whole dash. I have a small spider crack in the middle from getting pissed at voice dial on my cellphone not working. :ughd:
KEvin

KiDyNomiTe
02-05-2004, 11:42 PM
Well you dont need tint, I still don't have it. Some people say just get like 3M window film or something like that.

Pangsta
05-04-2004, 04:31 PM
What about replacing the HUD with a analog cluster. I tried installing it and only 1 plug fits. I would probably have to wire something right?

andrave
05-04-2004, 05:22 PM
yeah I have a HUD cluster that the speedo doesn't work on, the HUD harness, and a working HUD display... if anyone is interested.