PDA

View Full Version : KA24DE engine "lags"

marryson
05-05-2012, 12:36 AM
Hi everyone, my KA24DE "lags" when I give it gas to accelerate. It will "lag" for a second and then accelerates fine. when this "lag" happens, the shake of the car seems like the driver is rapidly tapping the accelerator. But I had the accelerator all the way down. Also, when idling, some popping sound comes out of the exhaust every few seconds. This didnt happen before.

What happened before this: well long story short, before this happens, my radiator hose was leaking so I was driving without coolant, or low level of coolant for about 30 mins. By the time i realized something was wrong, there are light white smoke coming out of the engine bay.

after I fix the leak and refill the coolant, the car runs fine except for the "lag". Maybe the overheat caused a leak somewhere? Thank you for taking your time. any help is greatly appreciated.

iamtheyi
05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Could be a misfire. Check your spark plugs. Unless the leak is your headgasket, it shouldn't be producing a pop when driving.

Butcher240sx
05-06-2012, 03:04 AM
Look for a knock sensor code. It'sa soft code so no cel.

S14_kouki504
05-06-2012, 06:34 AM
Look for a knock sensor code. It'sa soft code so no cel.

actually the knock sensor will cause a cel. at least it did in my s14. but anyway it sounds like either you have an exhaust leak or something with your plugs.

marryson
05-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Thank you for your help guys. I think I might have found the problem when I was about to check my spark plug. the moment I pull the spark plug wires out. engines oils are spilling everywhere..... I think my valve gasket might be leaking. Do u think this might have caused the hesitation problem? I didnt pull my spark plug out cuz i dont want any engine oil getting into it. thx

iamtheyi
05-07-2012, 01:21 AM
lol yes. Seems like it lol. Compression may be low in couple cylinders. Just replace it anyway. There's oil in there.

Butcher240sx
05-07-2012, 02:23 AM
It's the round seals for the spark plug tubes. Get a new valve cover gasket kit. Use black RTV to seal them better.

marryson
05-07-2012, 08:21 AM
It's the round seals for the spark plug tubes. Get a new valve cover gasket kit. Use black RTV to seal them better.

Thx for the help, but any ideas on how to get rid of the oil inside the spark plug well?

Butcher240sx
05-07-2012, 12:28 PM
Take the plugs out and spray the wells and plugs with brake cleaner. Clean the pockets the donut gaskets sit in then use a little RTV on them to seal to the head and the valve cover with new gaskets.

KendallH
05-07-2012, 01:10 PM
My old car used to do this exact same thing. Ended up being a bad thermostat and knock sensor.

Butcher240sx
05-07-2012, 02:29 PM
If the OP has oil on the plug wires he needs to address that first. The knock sensor on our cars are problematic. I made a resistor bypass for mine.

marryson
05-08-2012, 03:23 PM
If the OP has oil on the plug wires he needs to address that first. The knock sensor on our cars are problematic. I made a resistor bypass for mine.

If I have oil on my Plug wires, is it fine if I just clean up the wire plug itself? are the oil going to go all the way thru the wire to where the distributor is?

iamtheyi
05-08-2012, 05:37 PM
If I have oil on my Plug wires, is it fine if I just clean up the wire plug itself? are the oil going to go all the way thru the wire to where the distributor is?

lol. you're fine. hahahaha.