PDA

View Full Version : Installing new Nismo long hub bolts

GreenMNTDDc5
05-01-2012, 12:30 PM
Hey there Zilvians,

I just purchased a 240sx recently with some broken hub bolts. I have some Nismo long bolts but I am worried that just replacing these wont fix my problem.

If the bolts are loose/broken doesn't that mean I will have to replace the hub that they are pressed into? Seems like if they broke loose than the spot they press into must be stripped or must be unusable.

Ill post a picture later to be more detailed, I'm just wondering if anyone has had this issue and had to replace them and what the process was.

Thanks in advance...

GreenMNTDC5
05-01-2012, 04:06 PM
So I got the spindle off using a 36mm socket and an impact gun cranked up to 140psi...

now I need to know if I should replace the hubs with new ones of if I can just install the new Nismo bolts into the stock hubs.

codyace
05-01-2012, 05:06 PM
It's all a matter of how hard you're driving the car. If the hub bearings were good before, you can always reuse them, however if you've already got the assembly apart, it wouldn't be a bad idea to just replace the entire deal while it's apart.

Truthfully speaking, even if the hub is goofed up you could always weld the new studs into place to keep them from spinning.

fliprayzin240sx
05-01-2012, 10:37 PM
I think he's asking about the wheel studs Cody...

The old studs probably broke off because somebody used impact guns on the wheel lugs. Shit happens all the time when the studs get over torqued.

GreenMNTDDc5
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Yes I am talking about the wheel studs.

I've seen people install them on here before by just putting a few washers on the bolt and then putting the stock lug nut on and tightening them to hell to "press" the bolt into the back of the hub, but I just feel like this might not be enough. Wish I knew a good/cheap welder I might just go that route to be sure. I don't like the idea of loose hub bolts.

Let me know what you guys think.

az_240
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
Broken (I assume you mean broken off completely) oem wheel studs are pretty common.

Stack of washers and open ended lug nut works fine. Torque until you know it's pressed all the way.... you can usually tell when they are. Take a look at them from the back to be sure. You don't want them to have any gap between the hub and the wheel stud head or you could loose lug nuts or crack the studs off later.

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
05-02-2012, 12:49 PM
jesus christ, don't weld your wheel studs on

az_240
05-02-2012, 12:59 PM
^if they are spinning putting a tack weld to keep them in place is not a big deal. If you ever need to replace just grind the tack off.

codyace
05-02-2012, 01:12 PM
jesus christ, don't weld your wheel studs on

I'm not saying to weld them permamently, but 2-3 solid beads/tacks can make a world of difference. I'd sooner do that than buy a new hub.

FWIW: THere are PLENTY of real deal race cars that press and weld studs in as well...

SomeoneWhoIsntMe
05-02-2012, 01:22 PM
if the studs spun in the hub, they trashed the knurl and are no longer a press fit, right? I don't know how I'd feel about a few tack welds holding the studs in place.

seems like a far less haggard solution would be to drill all of the holes one size up and press studs of a larger knurl diameter in. just saying.

GreenMNTDC5
05-02-2012, 05:12 PM
Thanks for the input, anyone else please chime in...

But ya, I'll probably take the hubs off and see if the knurl is re-usable. If not I think I'll spend the money and get new rear hubs.

GreenMNTDC5
05-02-2012, 05:32 PM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

GreenMNTDC5
05-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Broken (I assume you mean broken off completely)

No I don't think broken off so much as just came unpressed to the hub and now is spinning when I try to tighten the lug nuts down.

codyace
05-02-2012, 09:13 PM
if the studs spun in the hub, they trashed the knurl and are no longer a press fit, right? I don't know how I'd feel about a few tack welds holding the studs in place.

seems like a far less haggard solution would be to drill all of the holes one size up and press studs of a larger knurl diameter in. just saying.

You do realize that the wheel studs secure the wheel to the hub through clamping force, not the knurl/press....that only functions to keep the stud form spinning upon removal/installation.

You can say it's haggard, I'll point out to the same example of there being some real deal track cars that even do such a thing.

GreenMNTDDc5
05-03-2012, 07:31 AM
So I pulled all the hub bolts out of the hub and inspected the "threads" of the hub. (It's not really threading but inner the ridges that the bolt presses into). They seem a little worn down/stripped, but so were my bolts that I pulled out. Previous owner probably used a impact gun on the lug nuts too many times.

I'm thinking that my new bolts that have deep, sharp edges will hold in these holes once pressed in (using the washer method) correctly. So I'm going to try that and if that doesn't work and they still spin, it looks like I can find a new set of rear hubs with bolts for a little over $110

Thoughts?

S-Nation S13
05-03-2012, 08:13 AM
once they are worn down you might as well just invest in new hub, welding them in place is to micky mouse to me

0wn3r
05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Sounds like you should really try and get these pressed in. I'd probably try to avoid the washer trick if you're having spinning issues. The washer trick is 'spinning' it into the hub vs a press which would go straight in. If you have the hub off, pressing wheel studs into a hub takes no time at all.

As long as you don't think your hub is messed up already, I wouldn't bother replacing it. Also, I would not recommend trying to drill larger holes and save that option for dead last.

GreenMNTDDc5
05-03-2012, 09:32 AM
Sounds like you should really try and get these pressed in. I'd probably try to avoid the washer trick if you're having spinning issues. The washer trick is 'spinning' it into the hub vs a press which would go straight in. If you have the hub off, pressing wheel studs into a hub takes no time at all.

As long as you don't think your hub is messed up already, I wouldn't bother replacing it. Also, I would not recommend trying to drill larger holes and save that option for dead last.

How would I go about pressing the wheel studs into the hub?

0wn3r
05-03-2012, 09:39 AM
How would I go about pressing the wheel studs into the hub?

With a press. You can buy one or find someone that has one and it'll take about 2 minutes.

GreenMNTDDc5
05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
With a press. You can buy one or find someone that has one and it'll take about 2 minutes.

Awesome thank you :)

tapdeznutz
05-03-2012, 02:25 PM
how would one get the old studs out? with a big ass hammer?

0wn3r
05-03-2012, 02:38 PM
how would one get the old studs out? with a big ass hammer?

Yes, they come out easily with a hammer. Some people hit them with a 2lb hammer while on the car, but you can do it just as easily while the hubs are off.

It might surprise you how easy they come out. Like cody said, the knurl doesn't hold the stud in very tightly, it's mainly there for clamping force when you put the lug nut on the other end.

GreenMNTDC5
05-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Ya I got the old studs out no problem a few light hits with a hammer should do the trick

GreenMNTDC5
05-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I dont think that the bolt will spin with the washer method.

if I hold the bolt and tighten the lug nut down onto the washers wont the lug nut be the only thing spinning as the bolt would press into the groves????

0wn3r
05-03-2012, 08:52 PM
I dont think that the bolt will spin with the washer method.

if I hold the bolt and tighten the lug nut down onto the washers wont the lug nut be the only thing spinning as the bolt would press into the groves????

Hold the bolt how? Up to you, I know people that have used the washer method and been ok. If you take a poll between the press and the washers with the hub already off, I think I would know what would win.

chumchum
05-03-2012, 09:15 PM
you use the washer method to pull the studs through until they bottom out in the hub. there is also a recessed tool that you slide on the stud and tighten down a lug so that it pulls the stud through. both are the methods used by mechanics to seat the studs. there is nothing mickey mouse about doing this and is just as efficient and easy as a press except you dont have to remove the hubs from the car.

0wn3r
05-03-2012, 11:25 PM
you use the washer method to pull the studs through until they bottom out in the hub. there is also a recessed tool that you slide on the stud and tighten down a lug so that it pulls the stud through. both are the methods used by mechanics to seat the studs. there is nothing mickey mouse about doing this and is just as efficient and easy as a press except you dont have to remove the hubs from the car.

Efficient doesn't always mean effective. Why put stress on lug nuts and the new stud threads when you can just use a press and fully seat them in a minute without dealing with an impact gun? Maybe if you really really don't want to take the hubs off, sure. Meh, not my car.

GreenMNTDDc5
05-04-2012, 07:13 AM
Thank you guys for your input, Ill try the washer method and if the bolt starts spinning I'm just gonna stop and try to find someone with a press.

Is this a common tool that would be used by mechanics at most garages???

GreenMNTDDc5
05-09-2012, 09:03 AM
So the washer method definitley doesn't spin the bolts as you put them in. It pulls them into the grooves and now they seem to be secure. I took pictures of the whole process and am going to post a DIY on here shortly.

Thanks everyone on your help, I'll keep you posted to let you know how they hold up.

0wn3r
05-09-2012, 11:30 AM
So the washer method definitley doesn't spin the bolts as you put them in. It pulls them into the grooves and now they seem to be secure. I took pictures of the whole process and am going to post a DIY on here shortly.

Thanks everyone on your help, I'll keep you posted to let you know how they hold up.

It's great you want to make a DIY, but it's not the optimal way to go about putting studs in...