PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the drifting on TLC

No Motiv
02-03-2004, 09:43 PM
It was TIGHT.........

TLC (the learning channel) show "rides" feautured Rod Mullen and his crew making the IS430 (an IS300(V6, 215 HP) with a GS430 (V8, quad Cam, 315 Hp, lots of torque...swaped in.....oh ya and a 6 speed supra tranny)

that car is WOW... it looks awesome.

any way since Mullen and his Son have been into drifting cars offroad and on road forever now, they talked about the whole drift craze and showed lots of footage from some event i dont know which it had, Team Orange, The JIC 180sx, Vertex SC, RS-R Kouki, and some other cars drifting at night. It explained alot of the basics and shined a good light on the whole thing.:rawk:

then they tested the IS430 old man Rod Mullen drifted alover the place and talked about how controling a slide, and understeer is one of the greatest feelings......plus he said that the IS430 is a perfect car for any one who would want to slide their ride.......

I want one, and since hes all tight with toyota (he did this project for them)...then maybe, it will actually be produced. I mean i have heard things about the Is430 for a while now, but this particular one was insane.........

ahh Drifting on the same channel thatdoes trading spaces and the wedding story... i dunno. but it was cool any way, just wondering if any one else saw the show..it was very interesting :coolugh:

andrave
02-03-2004, 10:06 PM
thats millen, and he has been a prominent figure in american racing for years. all it takes is car control to succeed at drifting, and he has that in spades. It runs in his family.. let me think here, steve millen, rod milllen, and there is one more floating around... steve millen runs "stillen," a business I'm sure you are familiar with.

mellojoe
02-03-2004, 10:10 PM
dern I missed it.

matlock
02-03-2004, 10:16 PM
Yeah, I didn't see it either, the old girlfriend is into trading spaces, while you were out, wedding story, etc. Maybe she caught it. I'm sure as soon as she saw cars she turned it off lol. SOunds like it was pretty cool.

DRFT
02-03-2004, 10:23 PM
isnt one of them rhys millen who drove the lancer evolution @ drift showoff and the supra @ D1?

Rennen
02-03-2004, 10:27 PM
thats millen, and he has been a prominent figure in american racing for years. all it takes is car control to succeed at drifting, and he has that in spades. It runs in his family.. let me think here, steve millen, rod milllen, and there is one more floating around... steve millen runs "stillen," a business I'm sure you are familiar with.

Rhys Millen is the other one. He drove Mitsubishi's Evo rally cars in SCCA Pro rally, I think he also did some of the drifting competitions (imagine that.... a rally driver being good at sliding a car :loco: )

Yeah, I saw the show, it was good television. I was hoping to see some of the pikes peak cars since there were showing all of Rod Millen's toys.

-Matt

ca18guy
02-03-2004, 10:27 PM
I saw it, all the drifters were driving 240sx's not a single other car. I thought the IS430 was kinda stupid (why pull a 2jz for a lexus v8?) but they were going for something different not the obvious path for HP.

nightwalker
02-03-2004, 10:28 PM
anyone knows if there will be a rerun? I want to see that, sounds very cool.

No Motiv
02-04-2004, 09:39 AM
i dunno check out the TLC website.....it was a good episode, the show in general is pretty rad. its on every tuesday at 9 pm eastern time..word. yeah Millens the man

Enan
02-04-2004, 10:08 AM
I saw that one it had Chip Fooze doing all the body work for the IS430. I liked the black over red scheme.

I liked when the sil-80 and the sil-truck were doing circles around each other, very nice.

TRUENOCOUPE
02-04-2004, 10:11 AM
I saw it, all the drifters were driving 240sx's not a single other car. I thought the IS430 was kinda stupid (why pull a 2jz for a lexus v8?) but they were going for something different not the obvious path for HP.

Cause the 2J that is in the IS is a POS. It ain't the same as the Supra Motor. Its totally different internal.

You did not watch the show therefore you do not know why he has the V8 in there.

nokeone
02-04-2004, 10:20 AM
damn missed it..i'll have to try and catch a rerun...sounds decent and worth a look...

fogleroller
02-04-2004, 10:37 AM
Yeah, good show, I'd lay down cash for that IS430. I wish i would have gone to SEMA, it was there. Some guy from Lexus was helping out with the IS430, that'd be nice if they produced it. Looks like it's just going to be a "one of" car.

I want to know why they started off with an automatic IS300, why didnt they just use the 5speed model, so they wouldn't have to use a Supra transmission, and "trick" the ecu into thinking that the automatic tranny is still there. The narration was super Ghey, they should get someone else to host the show.

Rennen
02-04-2004, 01:15 PM
Was the orig car an auto? I thought they were using the supra transmission because the V8 didn't come with a manual transmission, and they had to trick the engine's ecu?

-Matt

nokeone
02-04-2004, 01:18 PM
that would make more sense..^^^ as the 4.3 litre engine definately did not come in an available manual...

TheTicTac
02-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Dude the show was lame. Chip Foose put super gay rims on the car, and jason preistly is a tool.

The only cool thing about the show was when they talked about their Magnetorheologic dampers. The fluids inside the dampers, contain some sort of metal that will tense up when they introduce some sort of magnetic field near it.

tharubberbandman
02-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I saw the show and i think that the rerun was on at 12 last night im not sure tho check tlc.com and see

clean
02-04-2004, 09:37 PM
yeah that damper system was sweet. they said it was worth $2700 for a gallon of the liquid, that is crazy. the color scheme was real nasty but the show was cool. they were interveiwing the kid in a garage that had his rally evos in it. it was cool to see. that show isnt that bad. TLC and DISCOVER are good channels. monster garage, american chopper, junkyard wars, etc... all those shows are real good and hate to miss em

KiDyNomiTe
02-04-2004, 10:20 PM
The segment was pretty good, its one of the good car shows cuz its more about cars and how they work not cars and how they look. Just showed drifting as ice skating in a good sense, not in a reckless driving sense.

On the IS
IS430 i s a lot better than the 300

Sure the 2JZ is a great motor, but you know how supra owners feel abotu NAs, if you don't they don't like em, too difficult compared to just buying a twin turbo one.

They also used the supra 6 speed so thats a nice jump, they shaved a lot of time off of the IS300s times. I know its his creation but he does know cars, and he obviously loved it.

Rhys Millen is in D1, he is driving a GTO sponsored by Pontiac, and he will be driving it in Formula D too.

darithS
02-04-2004, 10:26 PM
I thought it was pretty awesome... 0-60 4.9 13's in the 1/4mile, the driftin was alright, they shoulda got more into it

240mike
02-05-2004, 12:55 AM
i dont see why they sisnt go with a 2jz tt motor..
i saw the show..they did a lot more work then they needed to..

nrcooled
02-05-2004, 08:12 AM
When you have an ociliscope and the knowledge anything is possible. I wish I had the resources and the knowhow to get everything in my car to work right but I don't so I compromise

TheTicTac
02-05-2004, 04:09 PM
i dont see why they sisnt go with a 2jz tt motor..
i saw the show..they did a lot more work then they needed to..

I think it was a lexus decsion, I don't think 2JZTT is still being stuffed into cars in the US right?

drift into a curb
02-07-2004, 11:39 PM
It was TIGHT.........

TLC (the learning channel) show "rides" feautured Rod Mullen and his crew:

Rodney Mullen is the $hit. He's gotta be the best street/trick skater from the old school.

http://enciclopedia.us.es/upload/rodney_mullen.jpg
http://www.skateboardlink.com/news/rodney_30.JPG

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/motion/thps2_1.avi

mastalee
02-09-2004, 11:26 PM
http://tlc.discovery.com/fansites/rides/episode/episode_05.html

Looks like it was a good show I missed. I never saw the series because I thought it was just bad exposure and isn't the host that guy from that old Beverly Hills 90210 show? :ghey:

PANDA
02-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Brandon Walsh..yes...and that show kicked ass...lol...i was so addicted back when it first came out..then again i was like a freshman in high school then...it was groundbreaking though for the time...