PDA

View Full Version : eBay 5 lug

Silentoreo34
04-26-2012, 01:38 AM
Alright so I've searched around and found a few ppl running the eBay 5 lug (http://www.ebay.com/itm/240SX-S13-89-94-5-LUG-CONVERSION-KIT-BEARING-FRONT-REAR-HUB-4X114-3-TO-5X114-3?item=130584558461&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7987340638310531364) on their S13's and have had good luck with them. I've just been wondering how long people have been riding on them and what kind of driving they have been doing and how they have been holding up. Track, dd-ing, etc.

I know the whole oem thing is best and I've seen/heard too many horror stories about ichiba such as failing after a week and so on. I was also looking into drop engineering (http://www.dropengineering.com/drop-nissan-s13-front-hub-conversion.html) 5 lug swap which is retail $500 but a local shop can get them about what used oem 5 lug hubs cost here. These drop engineering also have a "no questions ask warrenty" with limited lifetime warrenty which is amazing because I will be using my car for a dd/weekend warrior.

so basically its between spend $210 or $400 for lifetime warrenty hubs. I already know your all going say don't be a cheap a** and get the ones with lifetime warrenty ones. Just trying to get some more feedback what everyone is running/how long they have been running/the type of driving they are putting them through.

Any input is appreciated and I thank you in advance.

irax
04-26-2012, 01:57 AM
Even OEM equipment doesn't have a No Questions Asked warranty.. and there is a reason why. Everything is designed to fail. If those $210 hubs last you 2 years before they start to go out on your car, and it is slammed as fuck with some nasty -4 degrees of camber, then you got a lot out of it. But if your car is mildly stock, and those hubs last you 10 years then you won.

I saw some one had for sale J30 hubs that were machined to fit S13 bearings, I would go with that honestly.

Seriously, just get the cheaper ones unless spending an extra 190 bucks will help you sleep at night.

Silentoreo34
04-26-2012, 02:12 AM
Even OEM equipment doesn't have a No Questions Asked warranty.. and there is a reason why. Everything is designed to fail. If those $210 hubs last you 2 years before they start to go out on your car, and it is slammed as fuck with some nasty -4 degrees of camber, then you got a lot out of it. But if your car is mildly stock, and those hubs last you 10 years then you won.

I saw some one had for sale J30 hubs that were machined to fit S13 bearings, I would go with that honestly.

Seriously, just get the cheaper ones unless spending an extra 190 bucks will help you sleep at night.

I also saw those J30 hubs machined and was thinking about it.

The biggest thing that worries me is that I don't want something like to happen when i'm at a track X amount of hours from home. I understand thats apart of the car game and such but I also would like to do everything I can to not have things fail while being away from home. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and spend the extra $190 to sleep at night, but still would like so more feedback. Still have a few weeks before I need to pick.

Butcher240sx
04-26-2012, 02:46 AM
I bought a set of ichiba rear 5 lug hubs with bearings for my hatch on Amazon, now 6 months later the right side bearing has play. The OEM bearings are obviously and visibly higher quality. I was going to buy OEM bearings and have them pressed on the S14 5 lug I already had on the car, but I couldn't afford any down time. I will be going to Nissan for a replacement bearing soon. I would suggest dropping the Cash for the stuff with the Nissan part number on it. Factory lasts.

JDMRIDDAZ
04-26-2012, 09:51 AM
i had them on my coupe for a 1 1/2 yrs with no issues
they handle a manji very well lol

Silentoreo34
04-26-2012, 10:53 AM
bought a set of ichiba rear 5 lug hubs with bearings for my hatch on Amazon, now 6 months later the right side bearing has play. The OEM bearings are obviously and visibly higher quality. I was going to buy OEM bearings and have them pressed on the S14 5 lug I already had on the car, but I couldn't afford any down time. I will be going to Nissan for a replacement bearing soon. I would suggest dropping the Cash for the stuff with the Nissan part number on it. Factory lasts.

Can I ask you what kind of driving they took?

i had them on my coupe for a 1 1/2 yrs with no issues
they handle a manji very well lol

Same question to you. What kind of driving you putting on these.

Silentoreo34
04-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Any more feedback from anyone?

nujabe
04-29-2012, 11:23 PM
i have the s14 front ebay hubs no problems been on my car for a few months.. no problems.. super happy with them.

RickyS13.
04-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Bought brand new rear 5 lug from ebay and my left went out after about 6 months and the other one a year and a half later. Switched to S14 5 lug and I haven't had a problem since which is weird for them being super old but yes, factory lasts. This is on a daily driven car no track whatsoever.

Silentoreo34
04-29-2012, 11:48 PM
Bought brand new rear 5 lug from ebay and my left went out after about 6 months and the other one a year and a half later. Switched to S14 5 lug and I haven't had a problem since which is weird for them being super old but yes, factory lasts. This is on a daily driven car no track whatsoever.

Did the whole hub fail or the bearing?

Butcher240sx
04-30-2012, 12:53 AM
I daily drive my car about 25 miles a day to work and back. Occasional drifting and the roads in Houston suck pretty bad where I live. Still shouldn't have play in a bearing that quick.find me 10 stories abort eBay hubs lasting two years, and ill find ten about them failing In six months. OEM lasts. If I remember correctly, the fronts are a sealed bearing. Sealed bearings usually last longer. The rears are an open design.

Silentoreo34
05-17-2012, 03:53 PM
Okay so I talk to drop engineering which is mishimoto and they are stopping the whole drop engineering product line. Looks like i'm gonna go ebay.

I'll let you guys know how they are I myself with be daily driving and drifting see how fast I can break them.

Lugged
05-19-2012, 10:47 PM
any reason to why they are dropping their line? just curious

benarovi
05-19-2012, 10:53 PM
get the ebay. good deal. they dropped the price recently though. now it doesnt say uses oem bearings. i purchased mine over a year ago for 300 ebay called meijiperformance. said they used oem bearings. there awsome no complaints. i made a thread on it actually here and lots of people said over years of experience with them no problems. hope this helps.

Silentoreo34
05-20-2012, 12:17 AM
They stop doing it because no one really knew about probably not selling enough.

Yeah I ordered the one from the other person probably same thing imo "oem bearings" I'll see how they are. If break them I'll buy more so cheap.

Silentoreo34
07-25-2012, 01:18 AM
I know i'm kinda bringing up a old-ish thread but I just noticed the ebay 5 lug jumped in price.

d_nice
07-25-2012, 07:23 AM
well i seen front and rear ebay 5 lug for 210 on ebay. its their and let me know how it come out for u one u get it

07-27-2012, 11:10 AM
ebay hubs here no issue

fckillerbee
07-27-2012, 11:15 AM
buddy has been tracking the car for 6 months with no issues. Another buddy just put them on his drift cah. I'm running the fronts on my daily. we'll see how well they hold up before I have to switch to OEM.

Banana_Cute
07-27-2012, 03:52 PM
Doesnt ebay hubs COMES with OEM bearings? And isnt that what most of you guys and gals are concerned about?

And remember, EBAY is just a store.

s13rhdhatch
07-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I bought ebay 5 lug front and rear step of last year,they sent me ichiba fronts and ebay for the rear.I still have them on my car with no issues.

dragonbreath
07-27-2012, 05:17 PM
Doesnt ebay hubs COMES with OEM bearings? And isnt that what most of you guys and gals are concerned about?

And remember, EBAY is just a store.

No. They come with OEM style bearings. New Nissan wheel bearings are about $180 a piece.

They just throw in that word to make it more appealing, when in reality many people mistake that for actual Nissan bearings.

Banana_Cute
07-27-2012, 05:35 PM
No. They come with OEM style bearings. New Nissan wheel bearings are about $180 a piece.

They just throw in that word to make it more appealing, when in reality many people mistake that for actual Nissan bearings.

I read "USING OEM BEARINGS", but nothing that says "OEM STYLE BEARINGS"

my source.
WHEEL FRONT HUB BEARING 5-LUG CONVERSION 240SX S13 SILVIA CONVERT S14 300ZX | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-FRONT-HUB-BEARING-5-LUG-CONVERSION-240SX-S13-SILVIA-CONVERT-S14-300ZX-/261045650562?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc7888482&vxp=mtr#ht_1459wt_1185)

95_S14
07-27-2012, 05:50 PM

Your a dumbass ! 180 really more like 105 with tax I paid 95 each with tax like 103

Silentoreo34
07-28-2012, 04:44 PM
So from all this info i'm gonna take it as ebay hubs are worth the money.

Banana_Cute
07-28-2012, 05:37 PM
So from all this info i'm gonna take it as ebay hubs are worth the money.

Yes, EBAY hubs arent made out of plastic. It is made with probably the same material as all the aftermarket hub conversion out there.

dragonbreath
08-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I read "USING OEM BEARINGS", but nothing that says "OEM STYLE BEARINGS"

my source.
WHEEL FRONT HUB BEARING 5-LUG CONVERSION 240SX S13 SILVIA CONVERT S14 300ZX | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-FRONT-HUB-BEARING-5-LUG-CONVERSION-240SX-S13-SILVIA-CONVERT-S14-300ZX-/261045650562?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc7888482&vxp=mtr#ht_1459wt_1185)

I promise they are not Nissan bearings. Tell me how they will sell the rear hubs with bearings for the price of 1 rear Nissan bearing?

Your a dumbass ! 180 really more like 105 with tax I paid 95 each with tax like 103

Excuse me, I was working off of memory. Courtesy Parts list them for $120 a piece for the rears.

The EBay/Ichiba hubs from what I have read are pretty hit and miss. The concern seems to be in the quality of the bearing. The cheapest route that would offer me peace of mind would be to get the hubs from where ever and replace the bearings with Nissan or Timken bearings.

Of course with the exception of used s14 stuff.

Silentoreo34
08-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Excuse me, I was working off of memory. Courtesy Parts list them for $120 a piece for the rears.

The EBay/Ichiba hubs from what I have read are pretty hit and miss. The concern seems to be in the quality of the bearing. The cheapest route that would offer me peace of mind would be to get the hubs from where ever and replace the bearings with Nissan or Timken bearings.

Of course with the exception of used s14 stuff.

Well from what I've seen ebay are better than Ichiba. Ichiba seems to fail 90% of the time.

eek
08-05-2012, 02:32 AM
Ebay vs OEM. OEM is roughly $400 for the front from what i remember. If you cheap out and go EBAY/Generic is it really worth taking the risk that it will fail on you just to have you pull them off and then buy oem stuff? If your ok with that, then take the risk on saving ~$200 and not knowing if they will go out on you or not.

Croustibat
08-05-2012, 04:58 AM
Ebay vs OEM. OEM is roughly $400 for the front from what i remember. If you cheap out and go EBAY/Generic is it really worth taking the risk that it will fail on you just to have you pull them off and then buy oem stuff? If your ok with that, then take the risk on saving ~$200 and not knowing if they will go out on you or not.

We are not talking about shiney items here.

A copy wheel bearing ? What do you think happens when it gets loose and you are on a track or anywhere driving 60mph+ ?

There arent many people who lived after losing control of their car at that kind of speed, or losing a wheel ... and when they do, the repair bill is a lot higher than 200$.

eek
08-06-2012, 12:50 AM
We are not talking about shiney items here.

A copy wheel bearing ? What do you think happens when it gets loose and you are on a track or anywhere driving 60mph+ ?

There arent many people who lived after losing control of their car at that kind of speed, or losing a wheel ... and when they do, the repair bill is a lot higher than 200$.

UH no shit, I was not suggesting the OP to get EBAY/GENERIC hubs. That is HIS choice. I PREFER OEM over any of that EBAY China knock off stuff. PLEASE REREAD my post because it looks like you read it wrong.

Croustibat
08-06-2012, 01:06 AM
I DID read your post. What it tells is basically "ebay is crap but when it fails you just have to pull them off and change them again".

When they fail (not if, and i agree with you on that) chances are it will be under great stress, like cornering or braking, meaning "huge accident" , not just "remove and change".

eek
08-06-2012, 01:15 AM
Agreed, if these the nubs and kids are too ignorant to realize that, that is on them. Its not like any of the new members even listen. 90% of all the new members on this forum are ex-honda owners jumping on the next bandwagon. All they care about is "Hard-Parking" "STANCE", "FITMENT", and all the other trendy bullshit crap you see flooding this forum. Heck you can tell by looking in the classified section when all you see is CHINA CRAP like ISIS, MEGAN, and all the other knock off parts.

I still don't even understand why people would even consider spending thousands on their motor build only to cheap out on a generic turbo or knock off internals, let alone pay 2k+ on their future project car just to cheap out on suspension and other vital components only to risk it failing on them and possibly injuring their own self and possibly others.

Silentoreo34
09-15-2012, 01:17 AM
1100 Miles on my ebay hubs have spacers on them have zero problems so far. Have taken my wheels on/off about a dozen times and still good again no problems was worth every penny.

SLiDe_WaYz
09-15-2012, 01:29 AM
Why not pick up a 300Z swap I'm sure someone on here is parting out a car with it. I had a 300Z front 5 lug and a S14 rear 5lug and I ran than for 3 years with 0 issues.

I personally wouldnt trust eBay on something like that, I have bought a few things off eBay that can be knock off china parts but it's kinda hard to F up a 3in test pipe or something simple like a radiator. But what if your entering a turn at 60+ the bearing fails and your wheel just flies off? All because you decided to spend 200 instead of 400. Now your life is in danger and your car will cost triple to fix.

Point being don't cheap out on things that are vital. If you did buy them, I would buy OEM bearings and have them pressed in. It's far better to be safe than sorry. There's always the "what if" and with eBay its not really a hit or miss 90% of there performance parts will fail in under a year. It's a proven fact.

Silentoreo34
09-15-2012, 01:41 AM
Why not pick up a 300Z swap I'm sure someone on here is parting out a car with it. I had a 300Z front 5 lug and a S14 rear 5lug and I ran than for 3 years with 0 issues.

I personally wouldnt trust eBay on something like that, I have bought a few things off eBay that can be knock off china parts but it's kinda hard to F up a 3in test pipe or something simple like a radiator. But what if your entering a turn at 60+ the bearing fails and your wheel just flies off? All because you decided to spend 200 instead of 400. Now your life is in danger and your car will cost triple to fix.

Point being don't cheap out on things that are vital. If you did buy them, I would buy OEM bearings and have them pressed in. It's far better to be safe than sorry. There's always the "what if" and with eBay its not really a hit or miss 90% of there performance parts will fail in under a year. It's a proven fact.

You bring up great points and that is what this thread was suppose to be. But in the thread already points were made where "Anything can fail, its just how long till it will"

Talked to many ppl about what hubs they used and searched a good amount of what ppl are running yes sure OEM is probably always best because it was designed for the car etc. But I mean now the ebay saler is on Zilvia and alot of people are running them now and ppl seem to be daily driving/tracking them and 9.5/10 are having good luck.

I've had really good luck with buying on eBay I always look for good rep and I do some research before higher pricey items. According to the eBay seller the hubs already come with OEM bearings.

SLiDe_WaYz
09-15-2012, 07:58 AM
It's a sales pitch. C'mon man do you really think eBay hubs come with OEM bearings when the bearings themselves cost 100 each.

9.5/10? In this thread alone most have said there's lastly less than 6 months to a year before needing replaced. Your just going to have to buy new bearings anyways lol, why spend double or triple when you can just do it right the first time? Lol I just don't understand.

Silentoreo34
09-15-2012, 11:43 AM
It's a sales pitch. C'mon man do you really think eBay hubs come with OEM bearings when the bearings themselves cost 100 each.

9.5/10? In this thread alone most have said there's lastly less than 6 months to a year before needing replaced. Your just going to have to buy new bearings anyways lol, why spend double or triple when you can just do it right the first time? Lol I just don't understand.

We will see how long mine last I guess and we go from there. See ya in 6 months to a year then! :D

benarovi
09-15-2012, 12:08 PM

they used to when they were $300. meiji or whatever. now there $200 shipped and say oem"style". i made a thread on meiji hubs. over a year ago. lots of people said they were great. iv had them over a year, no problems yet. these are the old ones though, dont know about the new cheaper ones.

Silentoreo34
10-07-2012, 03:20 PM
2,000 miles on mine with zero problems. Been drifted/tracked on.

Idahos13
11-23-2012, 08:22 PM
So when the bearings go bad in the ebay hubs, from my understanding you are able to press new bearings in? Also what wheel bearings would these ebay hubs take? s13 wheel bearings or S14.
Link:
240SX S13 89-94 5-LUG CONVERSION KIT BEARING FRONT & REAR HUB 4X114.3 TO 5X114.3 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/240SX-S13-89-94-5-LUG-CONVERSION-KIT-BEARING-FRONT-REAR-HUB-4X114-3-TO-5X114-3-/261045650535?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cc7888467&vxp=mtr)

Butcher240sx
11-24-2012, 09:37 PM
You can easilly have them replaced. Buy the oem from the dealership ONLY. Take them to any auto shop and have them press the old ones off and the new ones on. All S13, S14, Z32, J30,Q45 rear bearings are the same. S chassis are the same for the front I think. And 2000 miles on a set is not enough time to base a judgement on quality. Check after 20,000 miles and let us know. OEM Bearings go 200,000 miles plus usually without problems.

sarhd
11-30-2012, 09:13 AM
You can easilly have them replaced. Buy the oem from the dealership ONLY. Take them to any auto shop and have them press the old ones off and the new ones on. All S13, S14, Z32, J30,Q45 rear bearings are the same. S chassis are the same for the front I think. And 2000 miles on a set is not enough time to base a judgement on quality. Check after 20,000 miles and let us know. OEM Bearings go 200,000 miles plus usually without problems.

Lol come on now with all the bandwagoners do you honestly think someone will now have have their 240 for 5k plus miles before totaling it because they thought they were pro drifters in the church parking lot

oni jake
11-30-2012, 11:48 AM
I'm sure my opinion doesn't hold any weight to some of you guys, but I have to say stick with OEM hubs. I have used Z32 N/A hubs on the rear from a junkyard and bought S14 SE hubs for the front from a generic Nissan dealership. Side note, the Z32 had 200,000+ miles before someone crashed it and dumped it into a junk yard. I have no idea how some of you guys are getting your prices here; when I did this back in late 2008 I spent somewhere in the ballpark of $280 for all the hubs. $210 for new, $60 for used.

Just about 4 years, 50,000 or so miles, and 20+ drift events later, I don't have a single problem.

Ebay quality has gone up from the early days, no doubt about it, but don't compare it to OEM just because some asshole put the words "OEM STYLE" on the sale page.