PDA

View Full Version : Hks Hi-Power straight pipe

gerardogomez0809
04-22-2012, 11:37 PM
I've been searching the sites but no concrete answer on this. Hasz anyone done a hks hi power straight pipe exhaust on a SR or CA18? I've been hearing that it sound like a Honda (dirt bike) is this true? I want to do straight pipe on my CA but I for sure don't want that dirt bike sound. And how big can the piping be 2 1/2 or 3" thick? I really like the sound of the buddy club straight pipe on a turbo, it almost sounds like a wrx. If some one out ther has done this or has heard the hks straight pipe please advise. And if by removing the cat would I do harm to the engine in the long run? Thanks for the input In advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spooled240
04-23-2012, 12:16 AM
it won't. I had a full HKS 3" straight pipe on my ka-t and it was manageable: quiet when I wanted it to be and loud when i wanted it to be

i have since swapped out the axle-back part for a 3" vibrant OEM looking resonator and it's still pretty quiet with the straight pipe

fliprayzin240sx
04-23-2012, 11:41 AM
The turbo will muffle the exhaust note...

TougeSR20Kid
04-23-2012, 12:24 PM
The turbo will muffle the exhaust note...

Yeah until he hits peak boost and the waste gate opens up then that shit gets loud again lol... Either way it will be quieter than having an NA straight pipe. As far as straight pipe sounding like a dirt bike. Uhhh you won't have this issue if ur goin with a 3in pipe it will have a deeper note and once you get into higher rpms it will get higher but not the fart can noise you're thinkin of, I've had many different straight pipes on my SRs and never had any that sound like a dirt bike. Even on 2.5 in piping. As far as removing the cat doing damage to the engine, no it won't

gerardogomez0809
04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Yeah until he hits peak boost and the waste gate opens up then that shit gets loud again lol... Either way it will be quieter than having an NA straight pipe. As far as straight pipe sounding like a dirt bike. Uhhh you won't have this issue if ur goin with a 3in pipe it will have a deeper note and once you get into higher rpms it will get higher but not the fart can noise you're thinkin of, I've had many different straight pipes on my SRs and never had any that sound like a dirt bike. Even on 2.5 in piping. As far as removing the cat doing damage to the engine, no it won't

That's koo, that was my main concern sounding like them dirt bikes. So pretty much just go for 3" turbo back piping for better results? In regards to the cat i guess I'll go with a dummy cat so it won't be so noticeable to a cop but I guess having a CA18 it wouldn't matter lol. Thanks for the input.

gerardogomez0809
04-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Thanks guys. Hopefully I'll get to do the piping within 2 weeks. I'll keep u guys posted, thanks for the input

TougeSR20Kid
04-23-2012, 03:10 PM
That's koo, that was my main concern sounding like them dirt bikes. So pretty much just go for 3" turbo back piping for better results? In regards to the cat i guess I'll go with a dummy cat so it won't be so noticeable to a cop but I guess having a CA18 it wouldn't matter lol. Thanks for the input.

Haha oh man... I have also seen ppl bolt heat shields over test pipes, not saying u should do it, just sayin I've seen it done. I would just get a high flow cat if I were u. In reality i think a cop is gonna ask u to pop ur hood before getting on the ground and looking under ur car. If he suspects ur modded he'll ask u to pop it. Best thing u can do is just keep on the lookout and not drive like a jackass when they're lurking. Where are u at if u don't mind my asking?

gerardogomez0809
04-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Haha oh man... I have also seen ppl bolt heat shields over test pipes, not saying u should do it, just sayin I've seen it done. I would just get a high flow cat if I were u. In reality i think a cop is gonna ask u to pop ur hood before getting on the ground and looking under ur car. If he suspects ur modded he'll ask u to pop it. Best thing u can do is just keep on the lookout and not drive like a jackass when they're lurking. Where are u at if u don't mind my asking?

Lol yeah no heatshield for me. Yeah about the cop looking underneath well it won't even get to that point. Specially here in California. I stay near Los Angeles

TougeSR20Kid
04-23-2012, 08:16 PM
Ahh for sure I rocked a sr 240 for like 3 years in san diego about 8 or so years ago so I know what ur talkin bout... Well good luck with that... Locking hood pins works and keep the keys in the glove box ;)

gerardogomez0809
04-23-2012, 08:50 PM
Lol that's a good one. Officer, my dog ate my hood pin keys

TougeSR20Kid
04-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Nah if they're in ur glovebox ur kosher, cop cannot make u open ur glove box, they have to get a warrant