PDA

View Full Version : hit a curb, steering wheel way off center

sofargone561
04-17-2012, 04:42 PM
i slid into a curb today id say around maybe 20 mph, probably even less because i was hard on the breaks. anyway the car drives mine i didnt see any damage done to the suspension the car makes full left hand and right hand turns fine and doesn't make any unusual noises when driving or turning, it isnt any harder to turn, the only thing that seems to be wrong is that the steering wheels is VERY off center, it was always a little off but now when the wheels are straight the steering wheel looks as if they are turned far to the left hand side. i hit the curb with the back left rear first then the front left. any ideas on wtf i did or how to fix it? like i said nothing feelings different about the dive but the way the steering wheel is, is driving me fucking crazy

bataangpinoy
04-17-2012, 04:45 PM
tie rod is bent to shit most likely.

sofargone561
04-17-2012, 04:49 PM
TEIN Adjustable Hardened Tie Rods for Nissan 240sx - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC (http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/TEIN-Adjustable-Hardened-Tie-Rods-for-Nissan-240sx.html)

would this be all i needed to fix and replace that then? because im broke as a mug right now. i can afford this but not much else =(

bataangpinoy
04-17-2012, 04:53 PM
well what i see alot of people do is use moog outer tie rods ends for an s14 in conjunction with tien inner tie rods.

moog=beefy generally speaking

thizzen4
04-17-2012, 04:54 PM
i got stock s13 tie rods pm me for dirt cheap and new

sofargone561
04-17-2012, 04:55 PM
i have an s13 btw. hatch back. ill look into that. is it ok to drive for a little until i can get it fixed?

bb4_96
04-17-2012, 05:02 PM
if you're tie rods aren't bent, just drive it. You are poor....

bataangpinoy
04-17-2012, 05:06 PM
i can almost guarantee that you bent your tie rods.

sofargone561
04-17-2012, 05:26 PM
i got stock s13 tie rods pm me for dirt cheap and new
ill send u one in little i have to do my taxes
if you're tie rods aren't bent, just drive it. You are poor....
lol ok good becuase i have to get to work. ill order the rods this weeks sometime then get and alignment and everything if its still messed up ill work from there
i can almost guarantee that you bent your tie rods.
thanks guys! i was a little worried it was something more serious

bataangpinoy
04-17-2012, 05:41 PM
oh also see if you bent any thing on the rear where you had the initial impact.

here is a list of shit that you may have fucked up.

1) Tie rods.
2) Rear Traction Arm and subframe mounting points
3) Rear Lower Control Arm and subframe mounting points
4) Rear Toe Arm and subframe mounting points.

i have #'s 2 and 3 (both oem) that you could have for the cost of shipping.

onehundredoctane
04-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I had a bent tie rod once, I had to post on a forum to find out what was wrong with my car also.

Phlip
04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
So instead of getting under the car or going to an alignment shop, you post for a ton of people who have no physical access to assess your situation...
That is totally the way to get it squared away

onehundredoctane
04-17-2012, 07:24 PM
So instead of getting under the car or going to an alignment shop, you post for a ton of people who have no physical access to assess your situation...

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m02hzwY5tr1qz4gev.jpg

ultimateirving
04-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Check your front toe, most likely got messed up whether its bent or broken components youre gonna have to take off the wheels to get in close and inspect. I recently had the same thing happen, and i thought it was my tie rod, but after inspection they were fine. I ended up sealing the deal on my stock tension rods and ripped the bushings up when i hit the curb.
If you want a good answer take it to an alignment shop and they can tell you whats worn/broke

dawagarage
04-17-2012, 10:09 PM
when i hit a curb it was my tie-rod. perfect excuse to not only replace but to UPGRADE your tie rods, with something stronger as well as something that provides a better turn radius. its a simple DIY

ship2236
04-17-2012, 11:20 PM
You should just sell the car, or invest in a jack, put it in the air and figure it out for yourself since u have access to the car and nobody else

Croustibat
04-18-2012, 03:42 AM
TEIN Adjustable Hardened Tie Rods for Nissan 240sx - Enjuku Racing Parts, LLC (http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/TEIN-Adjustable-Hardened-Tie-Rods-for-Nissan-240sx.html)

would this be all i needed to fix and replace that then? because im broke as a mug right now. i can afford this but not much else =(

Bring the car to a pro, to get it inspected.

You did hit the rear first, which usually means damage to rear subframe. The steering rack rods are known to be the weak part in the front, this way it bends instead of killing steering rack or front subframe. So maybe, maybe not. If you are lucky, you only bent a steering rack rod.

Also note that beefier arms means they will not absorb the impact and transmit it to what is connected to, aka knukcle, subframe, wheel bearing, wheel, steering rack ...

If you hit something, there WILL be damage. Car manufacturers use "weaker" parts to make sure the weak part absorbs the impact and you only have a simple rod to change, not a subframe.

sofargone561
04-18-2012, 03:05 PM
i was just looking for a few suggestions on what it was idk why everyone is being a fuck. it was like 7pm everything was closed by me. Im going to take it somewhere tommorow and have it checked out i just wanted to have an idea on what to possibly look for thanks for the help to those who helped.

cotbu
04-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Originally Posted by Phlip View Post

That's why!