PDA

View Full Version : stock tranny clutch to start?

xninjaxkirbyx
04-14-2012, 12:36 PM
Hello all. i JUST bought a 97 kouki 240sx LE and im playing with it right now in my drive way. the person i bought it from is gone on a trip for the weekend. anyways here is my question.

for stick shift, dont you need to step on the clutch to start the car? it's been awhile since I owned a stick but my car will start even when im not holding down clutch. what does that mean? was the tranny swapped from auto to manual?

the clutch engagement point is really high btw so you barely have to step on it to shift gears.

KendallH
04-14-2012, 12:57 PM
Yes, thats generally what that would indicate. There are other clues to an auto>manual swap you can look for as well. Only other possibility is that the clutch switch was bypassed for some reason in the past.

LongGrain
04-14-2012, 01:05 PM
Yes, thats generally what that would indicate. There are other clues to an auto>manual swap you can look for as well. Only other possibility is that the clutch switch was bypassed for some reason in the past.

such as an alarm or remote start.

xninjaxkirbyx
04-14-2012, 09:07 PM
wow thanks for the info guys. is there anyway I can check if it was an auto/manual swap? man I'm so dissatisfied with this purchase.

h23
04-14-2012, 10:21 PM
I thought all Kouki LE's were automatic or at least a very large percentage? No reason to be dissatisfied if it's just that. It really isn't a big deal.

xninjaxkirbyx
04-15-2012, 02:15 PM
im new to nissan so i wouldnt no if all le's are auto.... but that is an interesting fact.

rcdad123
04-15-2012, 03:48 PM
adjust the clutch push rod so that you have at least 1 inch of freeplay before you actually start to disengage the clutch.

xninjaxkirbyx
04-15-2012, 09:48 PM
thanks. ill give that a try sometime this week and ill let you know how it goes.

zerodameaon
04-16-2012, 01:47 AM
Does your car have anything like this on the passenger side just back from the battery. They don't have to be on that holder to the fuse box. Factory manuals never had those connectors.

http://www.jgy.cc/images/infolinks/auto%20to%20manual%20start.jpg

xninjaxkirbyx
04-16-2012, 11:39 AM
i just checked my model number and vin number last night because i wanted to make sure the manual transmission was stock or not. turns out the car is originally manual so it was never swapped WOOT!!! =). i have the link below if anyone wants to check out your own car. now im assuming my car starts without depressing the clutch because the engagement point is too high?! ill try to lower the engagement point this weekend and let you guys know how it goes, but im just happy to know everything on my car is original and not swapped

THE GARAGE GUIDES - 240SX VIN / Model ID Decoding (http://garage.projectraine.com/content_guides/240_vinmid/vinmid01.html)

Mishkin_707
04-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Just go under there and check behind the clutch pedal, see if the connector for the button is disconnected and has a wire looping, does this car have an aftermarket alarm?

xninjaxkirbyx
04-16-2012, 01:38 PM
as far as i know there is no alarm, but in the center dash there is a "sercurity" light that blinks so maybe there is? all i know is that he has the JDM front end conversion and their are wires everywhere. i dont like the job he did so this weekend im going to take as much as i can apart and try to organize it better. i'm bad with wiring so does anyone know of a link or anything that has a diagram of all the wiring components?