PDA

View Full Version : cluster fuel gauge is a little off

dkim1985
04-11-2012, 12:25 PM
here is how my fuel gauge looks right after i fill up my tank...
http://zilvia.net/f/attachment.php?attachmentid=36218&stc=1&d=1334168556

is it possible to fix this? it kinda bugs me that it doesn't go all the way up when i fill up my tank..lol. yes, im a little OCD..shut up. lol

:cj:

matts13vert
04-11-2012, 12:39 PM
Your resistance values are out of spec.. you may have corrosion in the fuel pump connection, bad ground, or corroded/dirty fuel level sensor.

dkim1985
04-11-2012, 02:41 PM
Your resistance values are out of spec.. you may have corrosion in the fuel pump connection, bad ground, or corroded/dirty fuel level sensor.

ohhh...i was considering getting a new fuel pump anyways. know where i can get a new fuel level sensor..is it called something else? can't seem to find it.

KiLLeR2001
04-11-2012, 03:59 PM
ohhh...i was considering getting a new fuel pump anyways. know where i can get a new fuel level sensor..is it called something else? can't seem to find it.

When you pull out the assembly check out the fuel level sensor. You will see as it moves along a circle, it touches little contact points each representing a gradual spot on the fuel gauge. S13 fuel tank capacity is just under 16 gallons so make sure you're actually at a full tank. You can do this by waiting till you get to the 1/2 way marker, then go fill up to 8 gallons exactly. It should put you right at the full mark maybe even a bit above!

dkim1985
04-11-2012, 05:24 PM
When you pull out the assembly check out the fuel level sensor. You will see as it moves along a circle, it touches little contact points each representing a gradual spot on the fuel gauge. S13 fuel tank capacity is just under 16 gallons so make sure you're actually at a full tank. You can do this by waiting till you get to the 1/2 way marker, then go fill up to 8 gallons exactly. It should put you right at the full mark maybe even a bit above!

well..i took this picture literally right after i filled up my tank, sitting in my car, at the gas station...

KiLLeR2001
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
well..i took this picture literally right after i filled up my tank, sitting in my car, at the gas station...

I understand but how are you determining when to stop filling your tank? The best way is to do it mathematically, not if the pump handle *clicks* from the back pressure.

dkim1985
04-11-2012, 06:22 PM
judging how the gauge is off..if i wait til it's halfway and fill up 8 gallons..theres a better chance the gas will overflow..

so why would i do this intentionally..? o_O

KiLLeR2001
04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
judging how the gauge is off..if i wait til it's halfway and fill up 8 gallons..theres a better chance the gas will overflow..

so why would i do this intentionally..? o_O

Because you still do not know if its a sensor issue or you not filling up to the appropriate amount. If you start to overflow, stop pumping fuel... It's also important to be sure you are on a level surface.

edit: Look, if you want to be on the safe side. Wait till you are 1/2 tank exactly, fill up 4 gallons and the needle should be pointing directly at the 3/4th mark. There will be a little variation but this is the best way to test its accuracy.

dkim1985
04-11-2012, 07:10 PM
Because you still do not know if its a sensor issue or you not filling up to the appropriate amount. If you start to overflow, stop pumping fuel... It's also important to be sure you are on a level surface.

edit: Look, if you want to be on the safe side. Wait till you are 1/2 tank exactly, fill up 4 gallons and the needle should be pointing directly at the 3/4th mark. There will be a little variation but this is the best way to test its accuracy.

what would be throwing that off? the fuel level sensor? how much is that part? i can't seem to find it..