PDA

View Full Version : super budget turbo kit (KA-T)

nightwalker
01-29-2004, 05:08 PM
My friend got all his new neat stuff for his SR, so he's letting me have his stock manifold, turbo, intercooler, and piping, in hopes that we might be able to incorporate it into my KA. Has anyone tried this? It would be the ultimate budget turbo kit.
:x:

raging panda
01-29-2004, 05:15 PM
the turbo is too small IMO, and the manifold won't fit without some mods, like a new flange. Its wortha try though.

nightwalker
01-29-2004, 05:17 PM
was just looking at maybe 5-6 psi for starters. I know someone has tried this. I'm gonna try it in a couple days, just was hoping to get some help.

AceInHole
01-29-2004, 05:29 PM
manifold won't fit unless you swap the flange. gonna need a very good welder to do it if you try it.

otherwise you could do what kaje and i did and get SS autochrome manifolds and swap a KA flange onto it.

stillmatic
01-29-2004, 05:31 PM
It should work but you'll need to do modify the manifold because the flanges definitely won't fit the KA. You'll also need to fabricate a downpipe or modify an SR one. I'm not sure if the IC piping will fit so you might have to get that too. Do you know if the stock SR turbo has an internal wastegate? You're gonna go through a lot of trouble to get everything to work.

nightwalker
01-29-2004, 05:35 PM
Hey Ace in Hole, did the manifold turn out ok? Yes, the turbo is internal. Where would I tap the vacuum lines?

AceInHole
01-29-2004, 05:40 PM
It should work but you'll need to do modify the manifold because the flanges definitely won't fit the KA. You'll also need to fabricate a downpipe or modify an SR one. I'm not sure if the IC piping will fit so you might have to get that too. Do you know if the stock SR turbo has an internal wastegate? You're gonna go through a lot of trouble to get everything to work.

as long as the flanges are welded on in the same position as the SR ones were it will fit fine (meaning, as long as the manifold isn't clocked dramatically). The placement of the SR O2 housing will meet an S14 stock cat or SR downpipe perfectly.

S13 SR piping comes very close to the DOHC KA throttle body. Orion used an SR cold pipe on his car without modification, IIRC. Not sure about the IC fitment though, as he used an S14 IC and custom cold pipe I think.

SR turbo is internally wastegated as are 90% of OEM turbos.

The hardest part will be getting the cast iron welded, but any experienced welder should be able to do it. The question is how well they'll be able to weld it.

AceInHole
01-29-2004, 05:41 PM
Hey Ace in Hole, did the manifold turn out ok? Yes, the turbo is internal. Where would I tap the vacuum lines?

My manifold is in the shop right now. I'm not putting anything on untill I get new oil lines since my TD05 oil lines won't fit the Garrett.

You'd tap vacuum lines off of the intake plenum by T'ing off one of the stock vacuum lines.

andrave
01-29-2004, 07:10 PM
I don't think that turbo will hold 6 psi to redline on a KA. it might, but I'd doubt it. cast manifolds are bad to weld on. I'd just get a log style one.

AceInHole
01-29-2004, 07:13 PM
The T25 on the SR isn't that small of a turbo. Gotta remember that it can do 14psi on an SR, and even though it's a 2L, it still redlines 1000 rpms later than the KA. Might just be flowing about the same amount of air at that point.

nightwalker
01-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Yeah, I know how it is with cast manis. I'm going to ask around and see what shops thing about welding the cast mani. Thanks Ace, been great help.

andrave
01-29-2004, 10:25 PM
ace in hole- I'm speaking based on the experience of others running similar turbos. even a T3 super 60 won't hold 8 psi to redline on a ka.

rednerd
01-29-2004, 10:33 PM
I always hear people rag on the t-25 for being "to small." I agree it isn't the best turbo in the world but hell it'll propel a 240 down the quarter in in just over 13 seconds... not to bad. Not to mention it spools like crazy.

For those who hate the t-25, what turbo are you using? Are there any good, cheap turbos that fit easily on a stock SR manifold?

AceInHole
01-29-2004, 11:55 PM
ace in hole- I'm speaking based on the experience of others running similar turbos. even a T3 super 60 won't hold 8 psi to redline on a ka.
My TD05 12B did. It's sized pretty similarly to the SR's T25, if not smaller (45 trim compressor wheel, 1.6" inducer).

Are there any good, cheap turbos that fit easily on a stock SR manifold?
The T28 off the Pulsar GTiR would make a pretty good turbo for the KA, IMO. My friend Rob (THON on most boards) got his for under $300. The ultimate might be something like a GT25R though.

Don't get me wrong though... the T25 is small as hell, and I wouldn't exactly recommend going out of your way to find one for the KA. The only reason I'm using it is as a temporary solution to put the new manifold on and be ready to drop a T28 in.