PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft too short?

totoro001
04-07-2012, 02:59 AM
Hey guys, I'm having an issue with my driveshaft (or perhaps with something else..).

The driveshaft that came in my car (an 89 240sx, that had a ka24de swapped into it before I got it) I BELIEVE was the s13 ABS driveshaft, but it was approx 47" long, and had a flex plate on it. I ordered a 1pc ABS driveshaft from "The Driveshaft Shop" and when it arrived, it was about 1.5" shorter than my stock DS. They were kind enough to exchange it for the non-ABS model, which is closer, but even now, it's still about .5" - .75" too short.

Now me saying the driveshaft is too short is kind of a misnomer. I feel like the DS is the correct length (and that TDSS does GREAT work), but that something else is funky, though I'm not sure what it could be. I checked and made sure that my engine was sitting on the mounts properly, as was the tranny, so it's not like the engine is .5" forward, and I don't think the diff has been swapped out (though I'm not sure, and I've got an NA z32 diff that will go in next week).

Any recommendations as to what I should check? Attached is a picture of where the DS connects with the tranny.

KiLLeR2001
04-07-2012, 03:02 AM
If you are rocking an open diff, or at least a VLSD inside an open diff housing than you're fine. Might want to fix that rear seal leak though.

edit: I'm almost positive mine looks like that as well. There is suppose to be a black cover that goes around that area. Been driving on mine for 5 years no problems.

jr_ss
04-07-2012, 08:22 AM
You don't want your driveshaft shoved all the way into the transmission. There has to be some play between the trans and yoke, otherwise you could end up binding things up. My driveshaft is the same way, however I still have the dust collar on my car so that isn't seen and is protected from road debris, dirt, grime, etc.

cotbu
04-07-2012, 10:36 AM
your shaft isn't long enough! that's what she said!

The answer to this thread is quoted
You don't want your driveshaft shoved all the way into the transmission. There has to be some play between the trans and yoke, otherwise you could end up binding things up. My driveshaft is the same way, however I still have the dust collar on my car so that isn't seen and is protected from road debris, dirt, grime, etc.

totoro001
04-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Ooohhh.. so the fitment is normal, I'm just missing a dust shield? alright cool, I'll have to see if I can pick one of those up.

Thanks guys!