PDA

View Full Version : speedo not working

csb
04-07-2012, 12:30 AM
Hey all,
To start I replaced the cluster a while ago and that made it work, but after some spirited driving the needle dropped again. The hicas light also came on so I assumed it would be the speed sensor and replaced that, but it still doesn't work. It will occassionaly work after hitting a bump (it seems) but otherwise doesn't work. I've searched around but didnt see anything else suggested. What do you guys think? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey

LUCKYxS13
04-07-2012, 09:15 PM
IIRC, i think the speedometer itself actually goes bad too. So find one from a junkyard 240 or from forums and swap that in.

csb
04-07-2012, 10:24 PM
Are you talking about the speedometer in the cluster? or is there something I'm missing? Because if so I replaced that earlier because it wasnt working. It is possible that it went bad again, but I was thinking it was something else because the hicas light is on.

Zapiel
04-08-2012, 01:35 AM
i also have something similar. my rpm, gas, and clock works, but my speedometer, odometer, and thermostat gauge most of the time doesn't work. To me, it felt like I need to drive around for awhile as if the car is fully warmed up in order for the speedometer to work or hit some bumps. When it does work, I noticed it usually goes back down to 0 or 15 and then it goes back up to its proper speed after a few more driving. The thermal stat would often bounce pass the max or close to the max, but if I tap it with my fingers, it goes back near the center where it usually belongs. Odometer gets stuck now and then, but I notice that when it's not stuck, it displays the correct miles or so it seems.

I have an s13 hatch 1990 single cam. I have yet to replace anything yet due to my budget.

csb
04-08-2012, 12:29 PM
that sounds like your cluster is bad to me. I'd start with replacing that then go from there. about 50 bucks.

LUCKYxS13
04-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Yea im talking about the speedometer in the cluster. Also try tracing your speed sensor wires, from the trans upto the engine bay, to see if theres any cuts and what not in the harness. Other than that try the FSM, if you already haven't done so.

csb
04-08-2012, 08:10 PM
It may be the cluster and the hicas light just happenend to start indicating something else at the same time, but I won't be positive until I do the hicas diagnostic procedure. I'm pretty sure its on because of a speed sensor issue though. The wires looked intact as well. Is there something inside the tranny that may have been damaged that could be causing this?

csb
04-09-2012, 11:43 AM
So I found out yesterday that hitting the top of the dash with make the speedo needle bounce back into action for about 2 min. Now I'm thinking a loose connection or something. Would a speedo thats going bad react to the dash being hit?

LUCKYxS13
04-09-2012, 09:26 PM
Yea i would say a loose connection, just take the cluster out and check it out. Also i would say yes to the speedo going bad too, my red hatch did the samething. Then all the sudden it wouldn't work at all and then all the sudden it would jump to 110mph lol.

csb
04-09-2012, 11:55 PM
I hope its just a loose connection because I just bought this cluster 2 months ago. Oh well at least I know whats goin on now. Thanks for the input!