PDA

View Full Version : S14(ka) Transmission Hitting Chassis when removed

Dorifto Machine
04-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Hello,

Replacing the clutch in the S14 KA24dE (Manual) and cannot pull the transmission out because the top of the bellhousing is not clearing the chassis. Tried turning it 1/4 towards the passenger side and still when you pull it to the back of the car it starts to slide and you can start to see the clutch but then hits the frame and will not go back enough to clear the input shaft, Even if I lower it it seems like its still stuck on the input shaft... It seems to be on after-market engine mounts.. Could it be because the engine might be sitting higher then usual?

The owner before me completed the auto to manual swap so not sure if the issue is related.

Ive done a couple s13s but it seems the s14 is a little different. I checked to make sure the cas is not a problem, It seems their is a spot for the crank angle sensor but no sensor. Drive shaft and shifter removed properly, so their is nothing at all in the way other then the top of the bell-housing hitting the frame.

Anybody have any suggestions or reasoning why this is not wanting to just slide out as it should.

http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/359/transqh.jpg

Taylor008
04-02-2012, 08:46 PM
Loosen motor mounts, lift front of engine.

Dorifto Machine
04-02-2012, 10:18 PM
That was the back up plan. I have a hoist ready to go. I'm really interested in the solution as this should practically just pull out .

pacotaco345
04-02-2012, 11:01 PM
That was the back up plan. I have a hoist ready to go. I'm really interested in the solution as this should practically just pull out .

What?? He just told you the solution... Loosen the motor mounts and put a jack under the crank pulley. You don't need a hoist to do that.

Dorifto Machine
04-03-2012, 12:47 AM
@Pacotaco - I only have 1 Jack which is holding the transmission... and I'm using the hoist to jack the motor up. Multiple ways to complete one task.

I understand that I can jack the engine up so I can wedge the transmission out at an angle. I'm asking for the reasoning of why its actually hitting . Logically it should slide out and clear fine without jacking up the engine, why is this one not clearing, has anyone ran into this problem before?

Silvia352
04-03-2012, 12:56 AM
the answer is, the clearance it too tight. it might be only a 4 cylinder but its weight balance places the engine close back.

just listen and do, loosen the crossmember bolts (4) of them 17-19mm's (hand losten them maybe 1/2 out) you dont want one to back out sometimes they are a PITA to get back in, losten both motor mount bolts and either hoist the engine to pivot it backward or use a jack (with something to protect damaging anything) and jack up the motor in a safe manner.

it will be in a good position to remove, leave it that way until reinstallment.

Om1kron
04-03-2012, 01:08 AM
the answer is, the clearance it too tight. it might be only a 4 cylinder but its weight balance places the engine close back.

just listen and do, loosen the crossmember bolts (4) of them 17-19mm's (hand losten them maybe 1/2 out) you dont want one to back out sometimes they are a PITA to get back in, losten both motor mount bolts and either hoist the engine to pivot it backward or use a jack (with something to protect damaging anything) and jack up the motor in a safe manner.

it will be in a good position to remove, leave it that way until reinstallment.

This is actually how service techs and transmission techs remove transmissions, they drop the crossmember a few inches so when the motor tilts back the transmission should slide right out without the need to rotate it. Just remember to tighten them to spec when you raise it back up lol

Silvia352
04-03-2012, 01:23 AM
This is actually how service techs and transmission techs remove transmissions, they drop the crossmember a few inches so when the motor tilts back the transmission should slide right out without the need to rotate it. Just remember to tighten them to spec when you raise it back up lol

correct, 10 years on a lift will teach you something!

Dorifto Machine
04-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Thanks for all the input.

Took another shot yesterday morning and it cleared just fine. All I did was remove the 2 nuts on the motor mounts.

Now on to the Clutch components, Front and Rear Seal and oil pan!