PDA

View Full Version : Welders..

sykikchimp
01-27-2004, 03:14 PM
Sup guys.. I've been looking into welders lately, and all the different options has me totally confused.. :confused:

What kind of welder do you use?

I want something easy to use that I could use on random car projects? like building manifolds, or seam welding, is piping, etc..

recommendations?

Dousan_PG
01-27-2004, 03:15 PM
i think mig is the way to go
check this thread on FA out...i know KOOKZ can help you out decide as well!

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB27&Number=67660641&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

01-27-2004, 03:25 PM
Ya a mig is the way to go.

nokeone
01-27-2004, 03:30 PM
yeah get mig...you don't wanna deal with tig for just your beginning and avg everyday welding jobs...controlling the arc and spool will come later...

sykikchimp
01-28-2004, 12:40 PM
vg! thanks guys..

Any suggestions on things like amperage? What is "Flux core"? is it something I want?

(obviously I am clueless..)

mixxamike
01-28-2004, 09:24 PM
Are mig welders capable of creating strong enough welds that would safely hold pressurized exhaust gasses in a turbo manifold? If so, is it possible to weld your own equal length manifold from pipes bought at muffler shops? How 'bout a custom KA headder? mmmm...one of these mig welders could be a very good investment. What brand/amperage would you reccomend?

-Mike

boosteds14
01-29-2004, 10:09 AM
vg! thanks guys..

Any suggestions on things like amperage? What is "Flux core"? is it something I want?

(obviously I am clueless..)

well flux core is self sheilding wire so it doesnt need a gas to sheild the weld.(argon, CO2). Only problem with flux core is it is messy. it splatters so be prepared to spend some time with a grinding tool on that weld.

As for mig with Gas, it depends on what metal you are working on. Steel, Stainless steel, and aluminum are all different to weld with. Use Argon gas for aluminum and i think CO2 with steel. You also need the wire for that metal also.

As for tig, i love tig...i have been doing tig welding for quite some time now and nothing beats a nice clean even bead of weld on an I/C pipe.

however, for a beginner and someone that is not going to use the welder on a day to day basis, a simple mig welder with a gas hook up is the way to go.
Hobart, miller, etc.. all great companies. be prepared to spend a good $500 for a basic setup with simple mask and gloves. I see them on ebay at great prices now and then. so check it out there.

jeff

Jeff240sx
01-29-2004, 10:58 AM
I'm with Jeff on this one. MIG welders are easy. 2nd time I picked up a welder, it was a mig, and also it was the first time I didn't burn through the object (stick welding is harsh). Once you control the feed speed and power, you'll be making some good welds in no time. Different gasses for different metals, and also different wires for different metals. It will take some time for you to acquire 2 different bottles, and then the 3 or 4 primary wires for any job you'll weld on.
Then TIG welds are just gorgeous and easy to make (once mig is mastered).
-Jeff

HiPSI
01-30-2004, 09:57 AM
i've had my mig for a while, a Lincoln SP135T, and it's awesome for doing piping and making brackets and such. as far as seam welding, i haven't tried it, but i tried to weld a fender with it on the lowest heat setting and blew holes in it. but i may have fixed that by speeding the wire feed up and working faster. i use an Argon/CO2 mix with all of my welding and it works very well. flux core sucks for sure. going from using flux core to solid wire with gas instantly improved my welding. virtually no spatter and as a side effect you can see what you're doing much better, you just see a nice arc and the metal pooling up. i got a killer deal on mine on ebay of all places, i think it was about $340+25 shipping and it's a kickass all around welder.:D