PDA

View Full Version : sr rod knock after 1 night of drift

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 02:38 PM
Ok so I went to a shop to have my sr put in my s13. They told me the sr I brought them had problems so they purchased me a new long block and transferred eeverything over. so after I drove it around for a month I decided to see what it could drift wise. I went out and did some donuts and had a some fun for an hour or so. On the way home afterards, I heard a knocking noise. I went to a shop and they said its a rod knock.. is it possiable for a rod knock to occhur on a new long block that quick ??

OutlawLui
03-26-2012, 03:20 PM
FUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuk that sucks, yea its possible, these engines are old

ricardo_dws
03-26-2012, 03:25 PM
^^^ agreed ^^^
that sucks for you guy
and yes almost anything is possible
specially when your overreving (or close to) the crap out of your engine....

Drifting-pedobear
03-26-2012, 03:26 PM
you fucked up.
donuts in a SR = rod knock

CleanAndLegit
03-26-2012, 03:29 PM
you need better oil pan to drift

slydin240sx
03-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Well that's a shitty situation.

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
you need better oil pan to drift

Are you being serious or just making fun ?

And I don't understand .. I did it ONE night honestly. And it rod knocked. I'm debating about getting a new sr but if I do , how do I stop this from happening again? I was looking at bee-r rev limtor ..

Chrischeezer
03-26-2012, 03:33 PM
sounds shady..
i bet it was a rebuild or something like that...

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Well that's a shitty situation.

Yeah .. really sucks when its the first night of donuts. I was hoping to goto summit and drift in a legit place but now I'm sketching on ever trying it again. This sucks.

slydin240sx
03-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Are you being serious or just making fun ?

And I don't understand .. I did it ONE night honestly. And it rod knocked. I'm debating about getting a new sr but if I do , how do I stop this from happening again? I was looking at bee-r rev limtor ..

A rev limiter is not gonna prevent a rod knock from happening.

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 03:38 PM
A rev limiter is not gonna prevent a rod knock from happening.

Well can someone please tell me how this happened? I know your not suppose to redline sr but I did it ONE night. I've also read sr can take a beating and still not knock. I'm very confused on how this happenand how to prevent it from happening again.

Mrpopo
03-26-2012, 03:51 PM
The guy at Nissan who was responsible for rod #3 on sr20s was drunk at work. Lol

Drifting-pedobear
03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Well can someone please tell me how this happened? I know your not suppose to redline sr but I did it ONE night. I've also read sr can take a beating and still not knock. I'm very confused on how this happenand how to prevent it from happening again.

because you did donuts.

you starved the motor, and it got knock.

happens all the time at the drift schools up here, people do donuts, they get knock.

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
because you did donuts.

happens all the time at the drift schools up here, people do donuts, they get knock.

Soo donuts really cause rod knocks?? That's seriously redic. I feel like drifting is just as hard on your engine as doing a couple donuts in a parking lot.

I should check the drift entrance thread again to make sure I am doing it right . Hml hml.

shiftdrift
03-26-2012, 04:05 PM
Ok this is really simple. When sliding around in a donut you're pushing the oil to one side of the pan. This makes the oil pump not very effective if it can't pick up oil at all times. An aftermarket pan/pick up tube fixes this. They hold more oil so sloshing around will mean less. You can pull the pan and check the rod bearings. Or rebuild your old block unless you gave it away.

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 04:08 PM
Ok this is really simple. When sliding around in a donut you're pushing the oil to one side of the pan. This makes the oil pump not very effective if it can't pick up oil at all times. An aftermarket pan/pick up tube fixes this. They hold more oil so sloshing around will mean less. You can pull the pan and check the rod bearings. Or rebuild your old block unless you gave it away.

I still have it. And oooh ok. So its not just redlining a sr that makes them rod knock.. good to know.

ryandriftingfat
03-26-2012, 04:10 PM

Sure.

Take a cup of water, hold it flat and go for a drive. Now turn. All that water in your lap now?

Oil climbed up the side of your windage tray, away from the oil pickup which starved the motor of oil. If you were doing sustained donuts then that oil may have moved away from the pickup for an extended amount of time.

BOOM. Literally.

Did you have the correct amount of oil? Did your oil pan have any dents?

KendallH
03-26-2012, 04:29 PM
Were you in 1st gear the whole time?

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 04:30 PM
Sure.

Take a cup of water, hold it flat and go for a drive. Now turn. All that water in your lap now?

Oil climbed up the side of your windage tray, away from the oil pickup which starved the motor of oil. If you were doing sustained donuts then that oil may have moved away from the pickup for an extended amount of time.

BOOM. Literally.

Oil was good and no dents. I feel like drifting all day on a course would have the same effect .. also, I was only doing it for an hour tops. And it was off and on too. This other guy was with me who had a rb25 was going way harder than me the same night and his engine is fine.

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 04:31 PM
Were you in 1st gear the whole time?

Noo second mostly . Never first.

4-20sx
03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
because you did donuts.

+1

+1

Sure.

BOOM. Literally.

+1

rod knock is usually from oil starvation. you fuked urself over lolz

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Ok thank you got the info

Corey121
03-26-2012, 06:33 PM
how old is the orginal poster?

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 06:41 PM
how old is the orginal poster?

Poster? Huh?

slydin240sx
03-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Poster? Huh?

You are the Original Poster, so he's asking how old you are!!!

240sxbaltimoremd
03-26-2012, 06:48 PM
Ooh I'm 21.