PDA

View Full Version : strange trans noise

jackasspyro2
03-04-2012, 08:47 PM
s13 dual cam
ka trans manual

getting a strange noise from my tranny im trying to diagnose

i know my tob is bad...got a new one on the way...but before it could come in i now have a new noise that concerns me

...but recently my i started getting a new noise from the trans

sometimes while driving is makes i high pitch wirring noise.for an examples sake lets say im in first.noise is at its loudest and highest pitch.i change to 2nd.it gets lower in pitch and noise.change to 3rd it gets lower.etc

makes noise in every gear

doesnt do it all the time.when it does do it.last for 30seconds to a minute.

also when it does do it.pushing the clutch in or out has no effect on it.but changing the gear or being in neutral does.

so thats why im thinking its some bearing with my trans.

been reading a lil up on the input shaft bearing which seems to be the most common trans bearing to do something like this.which isnt to expensive to buy.but how can i be sure its it vs other trans bearing.dont really want to drop a ton of money on a trans if its just cheaper to get another.

pretty sure my best bet to figure out which bearing bad is to tear into it..but its my daily so i would prefer to fix all this over a weekend and minimize the downtime.so im hoping someone can shed some light on all this

any help would be greatly appricated.

thanks
-frankie

DoobieS13
03-05-2012, 01:10 AM
My old trans, and actually everyone around here's trans does that whinning noise...idk about how long it lasts though...just a ka trans for ya i guess lol nothing to really worry about i wouldn't think, if it still does it after you replace your tob then start to try and diagnose it...but as of now doesn't seem anything to worry about...only bad sounds are grinds, clunks, and bangs lol